Scottish Independence (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:09:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Scottish Independence (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Scotland leave the United Kingdom and being an independent nation?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 6911 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 06, 2011, 04:36:57 PM »

I look forward to the argument, debate and vote. I want to see the raw figures behind any seperation deal; if it looks good I'll vote for it.

Same with any severance package Cheesy
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »

How well is Scotland able to support itself economically?

Depends on who you ask Wink

"Scotland has an estimated potential of 36.5 GW of wind and 7.5 GW of tidal power, 25% of the estimated total capacity for the European Union and up to 14 GW of wave power potential, 10% of EU capacity"

If that potential is harnessed...guess who gets the money Wink
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »

Does the territory of a EU member automatically become a EU member state itself when seceding from its original home country??

Under a strict interpretation yes. Even if Scotland has to apply for membership, membership would probably be immediate.

And the rest of Britain's fear is of course...this

£££££££££
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:38:08 AM »

"In Scotland 29% of people support Independence, 58% of people were opposed"
"Compare this with England and Wales. English and Welsh respondents are pretty evenly split on Scottish independence – 41% would support Scotland becoming independent, 40% would oppose it"

LOL

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/3570

The thing is, from much of the press (except in their Scottish editions of course Wink ) I, as cool headed as I think I am, am starting to feel we are not wanted in the union by some. Even the irony of someone from the North East of England griping about 'subsidising' the Scots has started to become more of an irritation.

There are economic reasons for Scottish independence; it is also increasingly looking like the only way (barring complete fiscal autonomy) conservatism can thrive in Scotland too.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »

Some recent developments.

Earlier this week, the Scottish Secretary Michael Moore indicated that Scotland would, in what is quite possibly a world first need two referendums. One on independence itself and a second on whether to accept a negotiated seperation settlement. This was rejected by the UK Cabinet who insisted that one referendum would be required. The Scottish Government has given it's clearest indication of what will be asked. Mr Salmond has confirmed that they may not be 'restricted' by a one question referendum offering the Scottish people the option of independence, 'devolution max' or the status quo.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »

All of the Americans will vote 'yes' because they mistakenly believe that Scotland is a land of Romance. Most of the British posters will vote 'no' because they mistakenly believe that Scotland is a land of bleakness and Irn Bru.

What is you're Australian and vote no because you like the idea of the English having to put up with the Scots determining their government?

That means you're a masochist Grin
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies