2016: Romney/Rubio vs. Obama/Gillibrand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:18:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016: Romney/Rubio vs. Obama/Gillibrand
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016: Romney/Rubio vs. Obama/Gillibrand  (Read 2394 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »
« edited: May 07, 2011, 04:58:19 PM by Skill and Chance »

In a very close 2012 election, Obama loses to Romney in the electoral college but narrowly wins the popular vote.

Romney/Rubio 48.7%  272 EV
Obama/Biden   48.9%  266 EV

VA and CO are decided by <2000 votes each and NH by <500 votes.

In 2016, Obama tries to pull a Grover Cleveland and sails through the primary on account of the 2012 election having been "stolen" in eyes of Democratic partisans.  Romney approval on election day is 45%.  Unemployment never falls below 8.5% between now and the 2016 election, but it never rises above 10%.  Who wins round 2?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »

Romney.  Our system is to polarizing today to allow something like a Cleveland.

Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:12 PM »

Obama in a huge landslide. Hell, any Democrat in a huge landslide. If Romney never got unemployment below 8.5% in four years of governing, then the whole issue that got him elected in the first place is a benefit for Obama.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »

Obama in a huge landslide. Hell, any Democrat in a huge landslide. If Romney never got unemployment below 8.5% in four years of governing, then the whole issue that got him elected in the first place is a benefit for Obama.

Oddly enough, this. When no one has the solution to America's chronic and severe problems with war and poverty, we will be suffering backlash after backlash after backlash.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »

Obama, definitely. Hell, any Democrat would defeat Romney if he's unable to defeat unemployment at 8.5%.

I'm having trouble trying to decide if Gillibrand, a New Yorker, would help or hurt the ticket. I could see people in small towns not liking "big city elitists from Chicago and NYC", but Gillibrand could also help win the female vote.

Either way, I still like Obama over Romney, especially if he failed the mandate given to him in 2012.
HST1948

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »

Obama, definitely. Hell, any Democrat would defeat Romney if he's unable to defeat unemployment at 8.5%.

I'm having trouble trying to decide if Gillibrand, a New Yorker, would help or hurt the ticket. I could see people in small towns not liking "big city elitists from Chicago and NYC", but Gillibrand could also help win the female vote.

Either way, I still like Obama over Romney, especially if he failed the mandate given to him in 2012.

I get what your saying about a New Yorker not helping the ticket, but just a note about the "big city elitists from Chicago and NYC"- Kirsten Gillibrand is not from NYC, she's from Brunswick which is a small rural town near Albany. I agree, though she would definitely help win the female vote. 
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »

I get what your saying about a New Yorker not helping the ticket, but just a note about the "big city elitists from Chicago and NYC"- Kirsten Gillibrand is not from NYC, she's from Brunswick which is a small rural town near Albany. I agree, though she would definitely help win the female vote. 

I doubt it will matter in small-town America. If an average every day person who didn't really do a whole lot of research on the campaign looked on to his ballot and saw DEMOCRAT: OBAMA, BARACK (ILLINOIS); GILLIBRAND, KIRSTEN (NEW YORK) what do you think he's going to assume? I'm not saying it'll be like that everywhere, but it's bound to happen.
HST1948

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:49:10 PM »

I doubt it will matter in small-town America. If an average every day person who didn't really do a whole lot of research on the campaign looked on to his ballot and saw DEMOCRAT: OBAMA, BARACK (ILLINOIS); GILLIBRAND, KIRSTEN (NEW YORK) what do you think he's going to assume? I'm not saying it'll be like that everywhere, but it's bound to happen.

Agreed, unfortunately most of the time when people think of NY they just think of NYC and forget about us up-staters.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »

The opposite effect here in Maine. When they think of us, they think of lobstermen or hillbillies, when actually the city of Portland (where I live) is one of the most liberal and artistic small cities in the northeast.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:07:39 PM »

The opposite effect here in Maine. When they think of us, they think of lobstermen or hillbillies, when actually the city of Portland (where I live) is one of the most liberal and artistic small cities in the northeast.

I think of murder mysteries.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 10:50:45 PM »

I think of murder mysteries.
I think of things that float down here, Snowstalker.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies