Junkie for At-Large Senator (Special Election)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:23:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Junkie for At-Large Senator (Special Election)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Junkie for At-Large Senator (Special Election)  (Read 7221 times)
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:48:57 PM »
« edited: September 07, 2011, 07:40:40 AM by Junkie »

I think that we can all agree that the early stages of this Senate election has seen some suprises.  Tmth running for the Senate instead of the White House and Blue deciding to re-enter political life in the Northeast.  

I figure that it would be a good time for a crazy idea: running against the leader of the JCP in the Pacific.  I know Blue says he has no chance (which he definitly does) but I think Vegas would not even bother to takes odds on my chances.

So why run?  Of all the things I have done here, running for Senate has been my favorite.  Last time I ran against HappyWarrior and lost.  But it was not bitter, it was fun.  That is why we are all in this game right?  To have fun, enlightened, deep, sometimes frivolous about one of our favorite subjects: politics.  I want to win, want to serve, but if I don't, I want to be able to hold my head up high and say I ran a classy, fun, intelligent campaign.  I got that against Happy and I am sure, from my time here in the Pacific, that I will get it again.

There are some great people here.  I was originally interested in the everyone is a legislator concept.  That is why I came out here.  Sadly, it died down shortly after I got here.  I hope there is no connection.  The Pacific deserves real elections, and I plan to try my hardest to give them one.

I will probably go down in defeat, but what a defeat it will be.  Many of you disagree with me on the issues, that is fine.  But hear me out, give me a chance.  Teach me a new word like Antonio does every now and then.  Lets have a fun and intelligent campaign.

I will now open it up to questions.    
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »

Good luck!  Smiley
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »

Endorsed.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »

Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:30:30 PM »

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:44:43 PM »

I look forward to facing you in epic combat!
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 05:23:31 AM »

Well, if you are going to go down in defeat against bgwah at least you will go down with my vote Smiley.
Endorsed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:49:44 AM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:04:38 AM »

Endorsed. You'd make an excellent and intelligent Senator. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »

So Junkie for a new Nice Guy Showdown ? And this time in my region ! Angry I'm really torn there, Bgwah is a good Senator but I'd also thing you would be an epic one...

I think I need more time to think about my vote...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 06:36:37 PM »

Though I'm from another region, it's actually really hard to decide! Your desire to try to make real elections happen in the Pacific appeals to the UDL within me that supports wholeheartedly the idea of competition in our democratic system, on the other hand, Bgwah has actually been a decent Senator! I wish you the best of luck regardless.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »

I hope you lose in a close battle Wink  (Just being honest)... but really.  If your intention is to make it a good race, then I wish you the best of luck.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »

Junkie I've always thought you'd make a great Senator. Endorsed.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 05:05:43 PM »

I look forward to facing you in epic combat!

Thank you very much.  I hope it is epic.  My dream in this election is bring the Pacific a true election.  One in which people will say, Junkie did not have a shot, but he ran a hell of a race. 

Now, I also want to be clear about something.  When I mention this being a long shot, I am not simply saying that because I am running against the leader, founder, dare I say it messiah, of the JCP in the Pacific, the holiest of all holies for that party.  That would be tough enough.

But I am running against one of the more active Senators out there.  Go to his campaign website, check out his accomplishments.  Needless to say, it is very impressive.  No one can say that Bgwah is not active.  He is.

I also plan to be active.  Being a Senator will not involve working with the wiki that nearly drove me to tears and took way to much time to understand.  Rather, I would probably fit in the mold of Antonio or Shua.  Both relatively new addtions to the Senate have taken on very big tasks.  Antonio with social Security and Shua with war in general.

Those bills and amendments need to be debated, amended, and eventually voted up or down.  I have weighed in on both at various times.  to be clear, I would vote against Shua's amendment and would like to clarify the tax plan on Antonio's bill.  Itis audacious, but a little to costly for me.

However, those bills are why I want to be in the Senate.  Feindly debate about the heart and soul of politics.  To really grab a hold of the values that both unite and divide us.  To understand, listen, disagree, and at the end still respect the opinion of the other.  That is the Senator you will get from me.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »

I want to take the time to post my platform in several different areas.  Today I will concentrate on game/election reform.  Let's face it, in many ways, our game generates the most activity when we have competitive and fun elections.  To often, we just don't see that.  This game is in danger of becoming an "old posters" club that concentrates more on personality than the true debate of issues.  Thus, if elected Senator, I would introduce or support the introduction by some of the other candidates of the following game/election reforms:

1.) Marokai's Regional Senator Election Reforms:  I would 100% support Marokai's proposed reforms if he is elected or carry it on if he is not.  I don't believe in terms limits, but do believe in the need for competitve elections.  Giving the Regions the power to control how their Regional Senators are elected is a huge step in that direction.  To take the step even further, I would advocate for election of the Regional Senators by the regional legislature (which in the Pacific or Midwest would not change anything).  This puts added importance on the region, creates a Regional voice in the Senate, and would encourage every party to run people for the regional legislatures.  Such a proposal would be possible if the Regions wanted it, which is why I support Marokai's ideas in the area.

2.) Role of the Vice President: I saw a discussion on the boards between Kal and I forget who.  The idea would be to give the VP a cabinet position.  I like that idea and would support Kal on it.  Another possibility would be for the VP to oversee Wiki updates.  This would make the VP an actual part of the government and not just something we throw around to create super-tickets.  Presidents would pick they then have to deal with.

3.) Eliminating Poster Requirements:  I was not here for the Hamilton scandals.  I do not even know dude, except wormy thought I was him.  I get people's concerns about zombies, but voter requirements  have not dealt with that problem.  I just see posting requirements to be an attempt to limit the game to a select few.  I don't like that kind of game.  I want as many people as possible, who will come, get involved and spread their views.

More to come...Post any questions you might have about these ideas, others issues, or even why I have taken on such an impossible mission of running in the Pacific.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 10:03:32 AM »

On eliminating poster requirements, though I agree, some might bring up the point  that if they really wanted to join the game they would make the effort. Apparently in the first election ever (yeah, I'm a nerd even in this history) that one of the Republican presidential candidates got a friend to vote in the primary, even though that person had posted only twice. As ineffective as voting requirements may seem wouldn't there be a dramatic rise in zombies if they were eliminated outright?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »

Great platform.

I must say I really really agree with the reforms suggested so far for the Vice President.  Perhaps if elected we can work together to ensure that my job isn't boring Smiley.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 12:19:07 PM »

I disagree strongly on point 1. I'd never, ever, support possible elimination of a popular election of regional Senators. This would cripple the game, as popular elections are very fundamental of Atlasia.

Naturally, I agree strongly on point 2 Grin
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »

Personally, I'd prefer that the Vice-President run the Senate full time. Currently he plays a trivial role in both the executive & legislative branches, but one a bit less trivial in the latter than the former. I don't like officers of government having their toes in two pools, so to speak, so I'd prefer to see the Vice-President's role in the Senate expanded. The proposal of giving the Vice-President a cabinet post is good too, though.

Alternatively, we could combine the two ideas & give the Vice-President a choice of being either PPT or a Cabinet member. Legislative or executive, it's your choose. Smiley
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »

On eliminating poster requirements, though I agree, some might bring up the point  that if they really wanted to join the game they would make the effort. Apparently in the first election ever (yeah, I'm a nerd even in this history) that one of the Republican presidential candidates got a friend to vote in the primary, even though that person had posted only twice. As ineffective as voting requirements may seem wouldn't there be a dramatic rise in zombies if they were eliminated outright?

A legit concern, but one that does not worry me.  Here in Wisconsin, we have same day registration.  Many of my conservatives want to eliminate it due to real concerns of voter fraud.  I don't think it would stop voter fraud but would definitely prevent people from voting.

We have zombies already.  It does not bother me.  Socks does bother me as it is fraud, but requirements does not stop that.  Thus, since requirements does not do what we want it to do, we should get rid of them.

I disagree strongly on point 1. I'd never, ever, support possible elimination of a popular election of regional Senators. This would cripple the game, as popular elections are very fundamental of Atlasia.

If popular elections are essential, we are in trouble.  How many have been competitive.  Don't we want new people bringing new ideas and forwarding the debate?  The great thing about the idea of Blue is that it does not eliminate popular elections, but allows each region to decide it the way they want.  As the Midwest does not have a legislature, it would not change, especially if the region does not want it to.  I just view it as a possible way to make regional senator positions more open and generate more interest in regional legislatures for both individuals and the parties.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »

Personally, I'd prefer that the Vice-President run the Senate full time.

I tried once, it was a disaster.

It's really better to have a PPT, who's usually experienced and active Senator.

Most of the recent Vice Presidents were either joke, when it comes to activity, or screwups like me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »

Personally, I'd prefer that the Vice-President run the Senate full time.

I tried once, it was a disaster.

It's really better to have a PPT, who's usually experienced and active Senator.

Most of the recent Vice Presidents were either joke, when it comes to activity, or screwups like me.

The idea is that candidates for President would select better running mates if the Vice-President had real responsibilities, rather than just being there to score political support. In the combined proposal, if the VP was proving to be a failure as PPT, the President could ask him to leave the post & become DSoFE or something.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »

Hmm, interesting. I think you have some ideas worth discussing. I thought about replying right here, but perhaps we should have a "debate" or something instead. Wanna? Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies