Obama vs. Gingrich
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:06:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Obama vs. Gingrich
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama vs. Gingrich  (Read 2319 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »

Suppose Gingrich wins the nomination, the economy improves and unemployment drops to 6.7%, would the below scenario be likely?

D: 421
R: 117
Historia Crux
Andy Jackson
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 03:10:41 PM »

Suppose Gingrich wins the nomination, the economy improves and unemployment drops to 6.7%, would the below scenario be likely?

Seems possible, though I don't think Texas would go Dem. Not sure about Indiana, it's been trending more Republican these days since 2008. Georgia would be another interesting state, Gingrich himself is not to terribly popular there and in such a landslide, I could see the peachtree state turn it's back on a favorite son over Obama.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »

Texas wouldn't go Democratic before Georgia or South Carolina.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:33:20 PM »

I'd have to think a drop to 6.7% unemployment would produce a much bigger landslide for Obama (or any incumbent president).  That would be more impressive than Reagan's recovery and would virtually guarantee Obama 60% approval on election day.  I would expect a modern day 1964 if the economy is growing that fast: CO and VA go 60% for Obama, along with every state that voted left of them in 2008, with Gingrich winning only ID, UT, WY, OK, AL, MS and maybe LA.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »

Texas wouldn't go Democratic before Georgia or South Carolina.

While South Carolina I agree on, I disagree on Georgia. In 2008, Georgia was only 5.21% away from going Dem (likely because of the large African-American population in Georgia). I actually think both Texas and Georgia could go for the Democrats if the right latino southern candidate came along.

South Carolina could also go Dem eventually if the right candidate comes along, but I think that Georgia is definitely the swingiest of those states.
SmokingCricket
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »

I doubt Texas shifting, but I could see Georgia and West Virginia flipping. Otherwise, Obama would probably slaughter Gingrich anyway unless the economy really tanks in a year.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »

If unemployment goes below 7% (remember that it was 7.5% when Obama took office), and the GOP nominee is polarizing and unpopular,

Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »

I'm a bit more optimistic as to Newt's chances. Don't discount Newt's debating skills, and all the preceding maps are based on significant economic improvement, which I do not see happening even in the best case scenario. Map, coming soon!
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »

Switch Georgia, South Carolina, and maybe West Virginia. I'm not sure about Texas, though.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »

Seems possible, though I don't think Texas would go Dem. Not sure about Indiana, it's been trending more Republican these days since 2008. Georgia would be another interesting state, Gingrich himself is not to terribly popular there and in such a landslide, I could see the peachtree state turn it's back on a favorite son over Obama.

Indiana and Texas will vote Newt. Evenin this climate. Why would Texas support Obama when Obama wouldn't aid Texas in it's fight against the wildfires.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies