America a nation of Christians of convenience (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:35:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  America a nation of Christians of convenience (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America a nation of Christians of convenience  (Read 5604 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: January 17, 2012, 01:00:49 AM »

I'm surprised this was largely overlooked considering how insane it is even by Bushie standards:

For example, 8 years ago I went on a mission trip to Vermont and the churches up there, of course are few and far between, but they are strong, committed, genuine and authentic Christians.  They're not watered down like the Bible Belt is.

While I agree with this, I have a tough time believing that you'd believe a bunch of Congregationslists/UCC and Episcopalians who support gay marriage and often even have churches that perform gay marriage ceremonies would qualify as "authentic Christians" unlike in the Bible Belt.

Wicca is a huge part of the culture in Vermont and Massachusetts.

WTF?

In a 2001 study only 2% of Vermonters identified as part of "Other Religion" which would include Wicca. In 2008 that was up to 4%, but with such small numbers MoE alone could account for that. And not all of that is Wiccan. The last such survey also had Massachusetts as 7% "Other", which I'm sure not even a majority is anywhere near Wiccan. Wicca isn't a major part of the culture ANYWHERE in the US.

Christians are really a minority in New England, as well as in the Pacific Northwest.  At the time, I believe only 10% of Vermont residents even claimed Christianity.

Um, no, it's 55%. Which is quite low for the US, but quite a bit higher than 10%. 69% in Massachusetts are Christian. As for the Pacific Northwest, Washington is 65% Christian by the last survey and Oregon is 67%. These are amongst the most secular states in the country, yet still have an overwhelming Christian majority.

This...goes beyond mindboggingly stupid to even claim.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies