America a nation of Christians of convenience (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:48:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  America a nation of Christians of convenience (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America a nation of Christians of convenience  (Read 5592 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: May 11, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/11/my-take-poll-on-bin-ladens-death-reveals-a-disposable-jesus/?hpt=T1

Excellent post on the CNN religion blog.

I feel too many "Christians" today are not following their faith or allowing their faith to guide them.  They are, instead, forcing their religion to follow them and their faith only to be in their ability mold Jesus and his message to their own fears and prejudices.

He points out that white evangelical Christians are among the least likely to support the idea of "treating others as you would treat yourself."

Such thinking, I believe, is dangerous.  We have become a nation of consumerist, materialistic, and reactionary people who merely use Religion as a facade or something to proudly display on your sleeve... even completely rejecting large parts of Christ's message because it doesn't fit your political views.

I do not pretend to be a Christian, much less a good one.  And I shouldn't single out Christianity, but any faith or moral code.  The Christian right is probably right in saying that America would be a much better place if we lived by the Bible.  But they are mistaken when they think that living by the Bible in any way resembles the way they live.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies