Connecticut Senate 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:10:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Connecticut Senate 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Connecticut Senate 2012  (Read 9229 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »
« edited: May 12, 2011, 03:36:04 AM by Speaker Napoleon »

Since this is an open seat, it should be pretty interesting. We all know Chris Murphy and Susan Bysiewicz are running. What I haven't seen mentioned here yet is State Rep William Tong's candidacy, announced last week.

http://www.thedailywestport.com/news/tong-run-liebermans-senate-seat

He is a Lieberman ally and somewhat right wing. I really doubt he will gain much traction, possibly not even getting through convention. With Susan's total incompetence, this means Murphy remains the only option for Connecticut Democrats.

Also, I'm hearing Caliguri may run again. He very well could win an open seat since CT-05 probably wont become more Democratic. Sam already followed Murphy to the State Senate by winning his open seat in the 16th. That being said, Caliguri is pretty conservative compared to the Nancy Johnson type of Republican that would play well here.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »

William Tong would have been better off running for State Senate, if a vacancy were to open up. He is very poorly known beyond his Gold Coast district of Stamford and New Canaan (New Canaan is EXTREMELY affluent, so a pro-Lieberman, moderate style plays well there). Beyond the fact that he is only one of maybe half a dozen or so Asian elected officials in the state, his potential for broad support across Connecticut is very limited.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:04:53 PM »

William Tong would have been better off running for State Senate

Yeah, I don't want him there either. He thought it would be wrong for Democrats to challenge Lieberman.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2011, 09:47:17 PM by Speaker Napoleon »

http://woodbury-middlebury.patch.com/articles/seeking-the-democratic-senate-nomination-2

Stupid Susan thinks Iraq and Afghanistan only cost us two billion dollars a year.

And Some Dude 2010 write in candidate Brian Hill is the first Republican entry. The good news is he is far from a teabagger and wantsntoleave Afghanistan. Also, he is black. I can't see him getting anywhere but he could become one of those Allen West military blacks that Republicans eat up. Republicans do have a history of nominating candidates with no political experience for major offices in CT.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:55:36 PM »

And Some Dude 2010 write in candidate Brian Hill is the first Republican entry. The good news is he is far from a teabagger and wantsntoleave Afghanistan. Also, he is black. I can't see him getting anywhere but he could become one of those Allen West military blacks that Republicans eat up. Republicans do have a history of nominating candidates with no political experience for major offices in CT.

This guy will soon be squeezed into a footnote in the history of the 2012 Senate race once Linda McMahon's campaign war-machine revs up. Though who wouldn't love to see what would happen if a town like Hartland was forced to choose between a white Democrat and a black Republican... Wink
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »

This guy will soon be squeezed into a footnote in the history of the 2012 Senate race once Linda McMahon's campaign war-machine revs up. Though who wouldn't love to see what would happen if a town like Hartland was forced to choose between a white Democrat and a black Republican... Wink

Linda can waste her many however she chooses but she will have a worse showing than 2010. I can't believe the GaoP is considering renominating her.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »

Decades of Democratic dominance of the legislature, the end of the Rowland-Rell gubernatorial era and the recent failure of the GOP to win any congressional races has left the GOP benches quite empty. Rob Simmons would get crushed if he tried to run again (or if he inexplicably "suspends his campaign" halfway through). Most GOP State Senators (e.g. McKinney, Kissel, Roraback) are too parochial to quickly acquire a statewide following, and most State Reps. are too insignificant to stand up to Democratic heavy-hitters Murphy and Bysiewicz. So the GOP will end up turning to McMahon.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:35:23 AM »

I think it is fair to say that Connecticut is more of a one-party state today than it has ever been after the last world war.
Soon Lieberman will be gone as well.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:28 AM »

I think it is fair to say that Connecticut is more of a one-party state today than it has ever been after the last world war.

And deservedly so.
Connecticut Republicans can't stay reactionary on social issues and nominate nobodies and expect to win. Someonevlike Chris Shays could make the race a toss up.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 08:09:15 AM »

And deservedly so.
Connecticut Republicans can't stay reactionary on social issues and nominate nobodies and expect to win. Someonevlike Chris Shays could make the race a toss up.

But the Republicans don't have anyone even remotely like Chris Shays left. Shays himself is damaged goods, and every indication says that the GOP is going to make a sharp turn to the right in the near future.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:16:05 AM »

And deservedly so.

But the Republicans don't have anyone even remotely like Chris Shays left. Shays himself is damaged goods, and every indication says that the GOP is going to make a sharp turn to the right in the near future.

Murphy is too strong of a candidate to draw a semi-decent challenger, especially with that open seat in CT-05. I think Shays could beat Byswiecz. To put it more simply, Republicans are screwed here for quite some time.
I wonder what race Tong is trying to raise his statewide profile for.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »

Hartland, 1998

Gary Franks (R) 376
Chris Dodd (D) 344
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »

That's a strong Democratic performance for Hartland. Grin
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »

That's a strong Democratic performance for Hartland. Grin

To be fair, Gary Frank didn't even crack 1/3 of the vote statewide. Pretty awful performance for a former GOP congressman.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »

Is there anything notable about Hartland to cause its Republicanism and supposed racism? Just looks like a typical lily-white New England town to me.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »

Is there anything notable about Hartland to cause its Republicanism and supposed racism? Just looks like a typical lily-white New England town to me.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but Hartland is the most Republican town in Connecticut - yet it is not especially affluent. Yes, it is 98-99% white. It is also very rural - the smallest town in Hartford County. My high school had a number of students from Hartland and the vast majority of them seemed to fulfill the "redneck" stereotype. Indeed, we had a large contingent of workboot-wearing, pickup-truck driving, Confederate-flag wearing types. We even had some problems with "White-power Wednesday" a while back.

Needless to say, Hartland has not voted for a Democrat for president - ever.  
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »

That incompetent embarrassment Byswiecz is running for Senate?  If Democrats are stupid enough to nominate her in the primary, Republicans just might have a chance to pick up the seat.  But I doubt most Connecticut Democrats are that stupid, are they?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »

That incompetent embarrassment Byswiecz is running for Senate?  If Democrats are stupid enough to nominate her in the primary, Republicans just might have a chance to pick up the seat.  But I doubt most Connecticut Democrats are that stupid, are they?

I doubt it; I would never cast a vote for her for any office. But she could still beat a stooge like McMahon handily.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »

I doubt it; I would never cast a vote for her for any office. But she could still beat a stooge like McMahon handily.

McMahon would beat Byswiecz handily.  Byswiecz is no Blumenthal.  She's more like a Coakley.  McMahon's money could be used to define her negatively in a way that couldn't work with Blumenthal.  There's plenty of material to do so with.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »

McMahon would beat Byswiecz handily.  Byswiecz is no Blumenthal.  She's more like a Coakley.  McMahon's money could be used to define her negatively in a way that couldn't work with Blumenthal.  There's plenty of material to do so with.

McMahon is very hated here, the partisan lean of Connecticut means she will lose. Simmons maybe could if he raised some cash, but Linda will just be wasting more money. Blumenthal also had problems of his own and what I expect for 2012 will be an environment less favorable to Republicans.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »

Looks like I was right about Chris Shays considering a bid.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »

Can't wait to get rid of this POS!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »

There's nothing more evil then bipartisanship, eh?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »

Who said anything about bipartisanship?
Loserman said that "Democrats have departed from a robust foreign policy" as we bomb the crap out of Islamic nations.

I do admit it is nice to see he is finally referred to as a neoconservative instead of a moderate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 08:13:22 AM »

Yep. It's sad so many people look down on their politicians reaching across the aisle to lend a helping hand.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies