New Jersey Turns Against Christie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:18:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Jersey Turns Against Christie
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: New Jersey Turns Against Christie  (Read 30703 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »

I guess his bullying schtick grew old pretty fast.

Not sure how it's "pretty fast" when he has been in office and has been "bullying" since January 2010.  Wink

These aren't terrible numbers when you consider approval ratings in the mid 30s are normal for New Jersey elected officials.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 08:38:22 PM »

Even so, this the second or third poll that finds Christie's numbers slipping during the last month. Maybe the locals can enlighten us if anything special happened or it's just Newjerseyans returning to their usual grumpy mode.

The teachers' union is running ads against Christie.  And his poll numbers have usually been lowest in the spring, for whatever reason.

Not surprising. The teachers unions just lost their pension funding for another year.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »

Not sure how it's "pretty fast" when he has been in office and has been "bullying" since January 2010.  Wink

Well, sure. If you compare him with other Republican stars like Walker, Kasich and Scott, his honeymoon lasted longer.

These aren't terrible numbers when you consider approval ratings in the mid 30s are normal for New Jersey elected officials.

But, but, but...
I thought he was the BEST governor of New Jersey evah!!!
And the white knight that would save the Republican party in 2012.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 07:58:56 AM »

But, but, but...

He is, in my opinion. I've never said that the voters there agreed. Not sure how his ratings as Governor negate your second "point."

I can see you still don't discuss anything with the opposition in a serious, mature, respectful manner.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 08:43:43 AM »

Well, sure. If you compare him with other Republican stars like Walker, Kasich and Scott, his honeymoon lasted longer.

But, but, but...

Considering the approvals ratings the last two governors of New Jersey suffered, Christie is still in decent shape. Honestly, after decades of mismanagement by Democrats and Republicans alike, the state is borderline ungovernable.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »

Considering the approvals ratings the last two governors of New Jersey suffered, Christie is still in decent shape.

I honestly don't understand (aside from wanting to make cheap partisan points) how someone can say Christie is doing poorly when one considers New Jersey's habit of giving their elected officials terrible ratings almost all of the time. Not to say that this makes Christie super popular or unbeatable but a rating in the high 40s is pretty damn impressive especially considering his outspokenness.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »

Outspokenness isn't Christie's problem, obnoxiousness is. Brian Schweitzer is outspoken too but he remains very popular in a very Republican state.

It's no coincidence that in a recent poll when they asked New Jersey voters to characterize Christie with one word, the plurality of them chose (surprise!) the word "bully".  
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »

Considering the approvals ratings the last two governors of New Jersey suffered, Christie is still in decent shape.

I honestly don't understand (aside from wanting to make cheap partisan points) how someone can say Christie is doing poorly when one considers New Jersey's habit of giving their elected officials terrible ratings almost all of the time. Not to say that this makes Christie super popular or unbeatable but a rating in the high 40s is pretty damn impressive especially considering his outspokenness.

It's a lack of basic understanding of the state. NJ doesn't have a problem with bullies. See the NJEA.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »

Outspokenness isn't Christie's problem, obnoxiousness is. Brian Schweitzer is outspoken too but he remains very popular in a very Republican state.

It's no coincidence that in a recent poll when they asked New Jersey voters to characterize Christie with one word, the plurality of them chose (surprise!) the word "bully".  

And yet he still remains fairly popular. Oh well for you.

And as Krazen notes, being a bully in New Jersey isn't necessarily seen as a bad thing.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »

Yep, he's doing just fine and far  better than his predecessors.

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2011/07/christie-on-decline.html

43% approval.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 11:04:23 AM »

More importantly, his approvals are actually better than all those mentioned as possible potential rivals: Pallone,  Sweeney, and Corzine.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »

Not great but not horrible by New Jersey standards though it may make him take a more serious look at 2012...
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 11:25:22 AM »

53% disapproval is good? Before, his approvals were middling, now he's underwater. No amount of spin makes that a good thing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »

53% disapproval is good? Before, his approvals were middling, now he's underwater. No amount of spin makes that a good thing.

Who said that was "good?" It isn't horrible by New Jersey standards at all. A friend told me Bob Menendez's approval rating is 38%. I immediately responded that he won't have difficulty getting re-elected with those numbers.

New Jersey's statewide elected officials are known for being disliked and frequently poll in the 30-35% range for approval rating. Get a clue on basics of New Jersey politics before you post about spin.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »

Menendez's fav/unfav are 37/35. That's hardly comparable with Christie's 43/53.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »

Who said that was "good?" It isn't horrible by New Jersey standards at all. A friend told me Bob Menendez's approval rating is 38%. I immediately responded that he won't have difficulty getting re-elected with those numbers.

New Jersey's statewide elected officials are known for being disliked and frequently poll in the 30-35% range for approval rating. Get a clue on basics of New Jersey politics before you post about spin.

Take it down a notch. The approval number isn't what I'm talking about, I'm talking about disapproval and 53% is very high. Middling numbers with approval and disapproval both in the 40s are completely different than actually being underwater to the tune of over 50%.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »

Still better than the ratings of his potential opponents.  Wink

The point remains that these certainly aren't good numbers but not dangerously low by New Jersey standards.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 12:26:39 PM »

Still better than the ratings of his potential opponents.  Wink

If you are convinced that Cory Booker won't run. But if Christie's numbers continue to sink then Booker might take a page out of Trey Grayson and Reince Priebus's playbooks.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 12:30:51 PM »

Christie's campaign in 1 PDF. May induce vomiting.

http://www.aimitsolutions.com/njea/WestNewYorkEA/absolutenm/articlefiles/40-NJEA%E2%80%99s%20Legistative%20Successes.pdf
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »

Maybe, but why does Menendez have a much higher "no opinion"? He's been around much longer.
HST1948

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »

Maybe, but why does Menendez have a much higher "no opinion"? He's been around much longer.

My guess is that he is less controversial than Christie, and generally speaking I would think that people know more about their governors than their Senators. 
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »

Assuming Obama gets reelected, Christie will sail home in 2013 by some razor-thin margin. Booker would be stupid to run - he should head to the Senate and wait until 2020.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »

Because he doesn't do anything.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2011, 09:59:40 AM »

Approval rating up to 48%. Disapproval at 42%. His approval is at 50% among registered voters and disapproval is down to 41%.

http://www.monmouth.edu/polling/admin/polls/MUP40_2.pdf
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »

Suburban New Jersey Democrats should be forced to explain why their residents' tax dollars have to cover 40% of Camden's budget.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies