XM vs Sirius
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:04:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  XM vs Sirius
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: XM vs Sirius  (Read 4889 times)
Rococo4

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2004, 06:38:56 PM »

Hey do any of you all have satellite radio... if so whcih one is better overall and for political talk?

I am going to get one, but I cant decide which company to go with.  Thanks
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 07:00:07 PM »

I own an XM Radio. I truly believe that XM is better in terms of music, but from what I hear Sirius has better political talk.

Also, if you're a baseball fan, XM is going to carry EVERY SINGLE MLB game next season.
danwxman

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 08:12:39 PM »

Sirius has two 24/7 conservative talk stations and two 24/7 liberal talk stations, including Air America's full schedule. Also ABC News & Talk (Hannity), NPR talk, C-SPAN radio, and OutQ gay radio (which is like another liberal talk station lol). There's also some other general talk stations like women's talk and hispanic talk. In terms of news there is BBC, CNN and FoxNews....I believe both Sirius and XM carry those though.

I am very satisfied with Sirius's political talk lineup (way more then even I can listen to)....

Here's a general list of what service is considered better for each area:

News: XM
Talk: Sirius

Opie & Anthony: XM
Howard Stern (coming 2006): Sirius

NFL/NHL/NBA: Sirius
MLB: XM

Alternative/Obscure rock: XM
Mainstream/Classic rock: Sirius

Pop/world music: XM
Dance/hip-hop music: Sirius

XM is $9.99 per month and Sirius is $12.99 per month...but XM charges more for their premium channels and online listening so you end up paying more then Sirius, while Sirius has everything included in one price.

Generally in terms of price Sirius has cheaper equipment, but you can find good deals on each. I would recommend the Audiovox PNP3 which is going for only $89 right now or the Sportser which is similar.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 08:23:34 PM »

I have been looking at both recently. I think Sirius looks good, better then XM.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 08:37:53 PM »

Sirius is amazing.  The music channels are awesome.  Especially the sixties music and classic vinyl.  AirAmerica is also really fun to listen to. 
Rococo4

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 03:16:47 AM »

thanks all for your opinions.... I am going to a local car audio place tommorow.  I will report back.  I am pretty excited to get the satellite radio, even though it just becomes one more thing I have to pay for every month.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 12:03:28 PM »

I've never tried XM, but had Sirius in a rental car once...I found that reception, even in well populated areas, was absolutely horrid.
danwxman

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 12:53:27 PM »

I've never tried XM, but had Sirius in a rental car once...I found that reception, even in well populated areas, was absolutely horrid.

Might have been a problem with the antenna. Well populated areas are flooded with terrestrial repeaters, so there should be no signal issues at all.
badnarikin04

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 02:26:11 PM »

I've seen recievers for both XM and Sirius, and the XM recievers are much, much better designed than the clunky Sirius recievers.

I have the Roady. Great entry-level reciever.

XM is also coming out with a portable reciever, which should be awesome.
Rococo4

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 05:00:45 PM »

I deciced to go ahead and buy the XM SkyFi2 yestrerday.  I get it installed tomorrow.  I will let you all know how it is.  XM recievers are defiently better looking than Sirius ones.

I almost ordered that XM portable thing (the one that is 349.99) but it was too expensive and I would probably lose it. It is so small
danwxman

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 05:51:35 PM »

I've seen recievers for both XM and Sirius, and the XM recievers are much, much better designed than the clunky Sirius recievers.

This:  which fits into the palm of your hand, is clunky?
Rococo4

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2004, 06:52:23 PM »

the display on that seemed too small when driving I thought
Rococo4

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 07:05:26 PM »

I got the XM- i almost wrecked lke 8 times while playing with it.  It is awesome
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 09:52:25 PM »

If you get any one of them installed in your car, can u take it out a year later and use it as a regular radio.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 10:24:30 PM »

If you get any one of them installed in your car, can u take it out a year later and use it as a regular radio.

You could, but I would instead recommend that you just get a Plug and Play XM SkyFi2 or Sirius Sportster that you can switch between car and radio with...

No, but the XM2Go has a better design:
danwxman

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 10:27:09 PM »

You would need to get a portable "PNP" unit. It can be used in a car kit, home kit or boombox.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 10:27:39 PM »

Somebody could "get rich quick" if they make an XM or Sirius receiver for the Apple iPod. There are already FM/AM receivers for the iPod.
danwxman

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 10:28:03 PM »

You could, but I would instead recommend that you just get a Plug and Play XM SkyFi2 or Sirius Sportster that you can switch between car and radio with...

No, but the XM2Go has a better design:

Well, the Xact is not technically a portable unit...although it can be used as one.
danwxman

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 10:29:44 PM »

The XM MyFi is neat but the technology needs to be fine-tuned and the price needs to go down before I purchase a portable unit like that. The antenna goes onto your back and I've heard it looks rather odd....and if you hold it the wrong way the signal goes dead. Sirius is supposed to come out with a portable unit this summer, hopefully it will have all the kinks worked out and actually be a better unit then the MyFi.
badnarikin04

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 05:42:29 PM »

The shape of it is oblong and the buttons are ugly.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 06:37:49 PM »

I have been looking at both recently. I think Sirius looks good, better then XM.

I first posted this in December and decided to bump this because I get my license a month from tommorrow and I will be purchasing a satillete radio. I am seriously consdering getting Sirius over XM. I was saddened to see that Air America Radio went to XM. However, Sirius I think is better due to better programing. I am currently looking at this....

That can go in the car. I'm also looking into getting this so I can bring it into the house, and so I can bring it to college...

MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »

What type of programming do you want to listen to? I have an XM (I've enjoyed it so far).
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2005, 07:03:57 PM »

What type of programming do you want to listen to? I have an XM (I've enjoyed it so far).

Well the only thing that I like that XM has is Air America Radio and the MLB. Besides that, Sirius has NFL, NBA, Howard Stern (next year), and now that XM is the same price as Sirius I feel that Sirius has the advantage. To tell the truth I've never actually heard a Sirius radio, I've only heard a XM one in a friends car.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 07:06:17 PM »

Well the only thing that I like that XM has is Air America Radio and the MLB. Besides that, Sirius has NFL, NBA, Howard Stern (next year), and now that XM is the same price as Sirius I feel that Sirius has the advantage. To tell the truth I've never actually heard a Sirius radio, I've only heard a XM one in a friends car.

I've heard XM gets better reception as a whole. I know XM also includes internet radio in its subscription, I believe. But Sirius definitely has more big-time programming, especially the NFL.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 07:07:12 PM »

I've heard XM gets better reception as a whole. I know XM also includes internet radio in its subscription, I believe. But Sirius definitely has more big-time programming, especially the NFL.

I'm going to go to Best Buy and talk to some people there, before I buy anything.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies