US Political "Regions"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:55:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US Political "Regions"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Political "Regions"  (Read 17198 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:33:31 PM »
« edited: May 15, 2011, 04:40:45 PM by wormyguy »

What would you consider the different "regions" relevant in a presidential election?

My take:

Northern New England

"BosWash"

Rust Belt

Rural Midwest

"Outer South"

Deep South

Inner West

Pacific Coast

SmokingCricket
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »

I'd take your map and modify it a bit.

Chunk Northern New England and BosWash. Consider adding Pennsylvania back to it.
Eastern part of Rural Midwest goes to Rust Belt. Western Part goes to Inner West.
Texas goes to the Deep South.
Nevada joins the Pacific Coast.

The worst region after that is the Outer South, but there is no other place to put them.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2011, 07:40:59 AM by pbrower2a »

I base mine largely on voting behavior, establishing an artificial east-west divide largely to split Metro America, once reliably R before 1992.  Some of the selections are strange, but as you will notice West Virginia and Louisiana have voted alike since 1992. Montana might be a legitimate swing state, except that it isn't going to decide any Presidential election.  

The swing states are scattered, but to little surprise they straddle regions. Missouri and Georgia seem to resemble each other more than they resemble the states surrounding them. Ohio and Florida vote together most of the time.  Indiana and Ohio are both about half "Mountain South" and half "Suburban America", Virginia is almost half "Urban East", a fourth "Mountain South" and a fourth "Deep South". Louisiana might belong in its own category, although its voting habits lump it with Tennessee instead of with Mississippi or Texas.  

maroon   Metro West
red          Metro East
pink         Suburban America -- fringe swing states in Democratic losses
white        real swing states
yellow         fringe swing states in Republican losses  
aqua          mountain and bayou states
pine          Deep South
brown          Oil Patch  
blue     Great Plains
dark blue     Mormon Country  

NE-02, until reconfigured, would now qualify as if one of the states in yellow.  
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »

Where do you get "BosWash"?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »

Boston-Washington D.C.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2011, 08:59:34 PM by Republican95 »

The Northeast

It's pretty easy to define this region: Heavily Democratic, with the outlier being New Hampshire

The Mid-Atlantic

Used to be part of the South, has now been swallowed up by the Northeast’s sphere and influence and is thus trending Democrat.  Georgia could also be included in this region.

The Deep South (Dixie)

This region is marked by racial polarization, Whites vote Republican while Blacks vote Democrat.  It’s as simple as that.  

Florida

Oh, what to say about Florida?  Florida is a microcosm of the entire nation and can be easily divided into three “states”.  The northern Panhandle region of the state is very, very Southern and--if I could--would put it in the Deep South.  The fastest growing central area of the state (Orlando, Tampa, St. Petersburg) used to be heavily Republican but is now trending Democratic, it probably resembles the Mid-Atlantic states the best.  The Southern part of the state (Miami), while still having some deep red suburbs and Cuban areas, is by far the most Democratic region in the state and probably should be clumped with the West Coast metros.  All the diversity in Florida makes it unclassifiable, it is truly one-of-a-kind.

The Outer South (Appalachia)

The Outer South, while voting the same way as the Deep South, is very different for a few reasons.  Firstly, as recently as the 1990s the region was strongly Democratic--voting for Bill Clinton twice.  It is not inconceivable that strong, Southern Democrat could win a few states from this region.  Also, it is not as racially polarized as the Deep South.  In these states, there are still a large number working-class, unionized Whites who vote almost exclusively Democratic at the national level (Hillary Clinton people).

The Industrial Midwest

Easy to define, industrial areas along the Great Lakes which are historically Democratic.  The one notable exception is Indiana, which in 1996 was an “island of red”.  However, it is much more competitive for Democrats now.

The Upper Great Plains (Corn Belt)

At first these states may seem to have nothing in common.  However, historically politics in this region have been dominated by one issue: agriculture.  While the presence of family farms and such has declined over the past half-century or so, it has left a lasting scar on the political landscape of the region.  DFL, anyone?  This region is less religious than the lower Great Plains and has more affinity towards left-of-center candidates.  

The Lower Great Plains

This region is heavily Republican and more socially conservative that the Upper Great Plains, less emphasis on agricultural issues.  However, the growing Hispanic population in South Texas could put the identity of this region in jeopardy.  In a few years Texas will find itself in the Southwest or, more likely, it will be broken into Florida-like sub-states--each with there own political identity.

The Intermountain West

Really, really conservative with a deep libertarian streak.  Alaska can be included in this region.  If I could, I’d throw in non-Clark County, Nevada as well.

The Southwest

Used to be staunchly Republican, now likely Democrat.  John McCain’s “favorite son” status saved Arizona from 2008’s tidal wave of blue.  I went ahead and threw California in there because it has a lot of Hispanics and SoCal is so Phoenix and not Seattle.

Pacifica

Strongly Democrat, very socially liberal.  Probably the only place in the nation where you can mow your lawn naked while humping a sheep.  Went ahead and threw Hawaii in there.  

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:37:55 AM »

I agree with Republican95, except I'd put PA in the Industrial Midwest instead of the Northeast. Geographically, that might be pushing it, but politically, I think PA is more like OH or WI than NY or CT.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:03:57 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2011, 06:06:04 AM by Antonio V »

See also this for reference : https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=122688.0

Here's the map I've come up with after some brainstorming and discussions :

Nichlemn

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:20:53 AM »

Pacifica is "likely Democratic", not "strongly Democratic". It's a pet peeve of mine that people consider say, Georgia more competive than Oregon because Obama won the latter by a larger margin than he lost the former, despite the PVIs.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »

538 has a pretty good map:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »

I'd just switch PA to Acela and OK to Prairie.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »

I'd say Republican95 hit the nail on the head, though Pennsylvania could be included in the Industrial Midwest.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »

The Northeast

It's pretty easy to define this region: Heavily Democratic, with the outlier being New Hampshire

The Mid-Atlantic

Used to be part of the South, has now been swallowed up by the Northeast’s sphere and influence and is thus trending Democrat.  Georgia could also be included in this region.

The Deep South (Dixie)

This region is marked by racial polarization, Whites vote Republican while Blacks vote Democrat.  It’s as simple as that.  

Florida

Oh, what to say about Florida?  Florida is a microcosm of the entire nation and can be easily divided into three “states”.  The northern Panhandle region of the state is very, very Southern and--if I could--would put it in the Deep South.  The fastest growing central area of the state (Orlando, Tampa, St. Petersburg) used to be heavily Republican but is now trending Democratic, it probably resembles the Mid-Atlantic states the best.  The Southern part of the state (Miami), while still having some deep red suburbs and Cuban areas, is by far the most Democratic region in the state and probably should be clumped with the West Coast metros.  All the diversity in Florida makes it unclassifiable, it is truly one-of-a-kind.

The Outer South (Appalachia)

The Outer South, while voting the same way as the Deep South, is very different for a few reasons.  Firstly, as recently as the 1990s the region was strongly Democratic--voting for Bill Clinton twice.  It is not inconceivable that strong, Southern Democrat could win a few states from this region.  Also, it is not as racially polarized as the Deep South.  In these states, there are still a large number working-class, unionized Whites who vote almost exclusively Democratic at the national level (Hillary Clinton people).

The Industrial Midwest

Easy to define, industrial areas along the Great Lakes which are historically Democratic.  The one notable exception is Indiana, which in 1996 was an “island of red”.  However, it is much more competitive for Democrats now.

The Upper Great Plains (Corn Belt)

At first these states may seem to have nothing in common.  However, historically politics in this region have been dominated by one issue: agriculture.  While the presence of family farms and such has declined over the past half-century or so, it has left a lasting scar on the political landscape of the region.  DFL, anyone?  This region is less religious than the lower Great Plains and has more affinity towards left-of-center candidates.  

The Lower Great Plains

This region is heavily Republican and more socially conservative that the Upper Great Plains, less emphasis on agricultural issues.  However, the growing Hispanic population in South Texas could put the identity of this region in jeopardy.  In a few years Texas will find itself in the Southwest or, more likely, it will be broken into Florida-like sub-states--each with there own political identity.

The Intermountain West

Really, really conservative with a deep libertarian streak.  Alaska can be included in this region.  If I could, I’d throw in non-Clark County, Nevada as well.

The Southwest

Used to be staunchly Republican, now likely Democrat.  John McCain’s “favorite son” status saved Arizona from 2008’s tidal wave of blue.  I went ahead and threw California in there because it has a lot of Hispanics and SoCal is so Phoenix and not Seattle.

Pacifica

Strongly Democrat, very socially liberal.  Probably the only place in the nation where you can mow your lawn naked while humping a sheep.  Went ahead and threw Hawaii in there.  

Democrats are not as competitive here as you think. Republicans have near supermajorities in the Statehouse or our Senate. So color us blue like the other republican states.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »

Democrats are not as competitive here as you think. Republicans have near supermajorities in the Statehouse or our Senate. So color us blue like the other republican states.

If you hadn't noticed, he used the colors from 2008.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »

I'm aware of that but I'd still color us blue.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 07:51:14 PM »

I'm aware of that but I'd still color us blue.

LoL, so Obama lost Indiana in 2008. =S
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies