If only Atlas existed...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:08:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If only Atlas existed...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: If only Atlas existed...  (Read 34424 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 26, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »

Antonio V: This is perfect!  We Democrats start the Ku Klux Klan to get rid of all those Republicans, and then, 150 years from now, we pretend that Republicans did all these things!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: December 26, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »

Antonio V: This is perfect!  We Democrats start the Ku Klux Klan to get rid of all those Republicans, and then, 150 years from now, we pretend that Republicans did all these things!

Oldiesfreak: I love being a Republican. It's not like anyone's political views are going to change. Hell, the first black President's probably going to be a Republican.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »

Oldiesfreak:  I think I like this new Republican party and I am planning to vote for them.  I am not sure what to think of Mr. Fremont as he appears to be quite the radical, while I am a true conservative, but I deeply believe in the end of slavery.

Oldiesfreak:  I am not sure why President Lincoln would choose a Democrat, and a Southern one at that as his running mate.  I must admit I deeply hate the Democratic party.  They are without a doubt the party of slavery and I will believe that for as long as I live.

Oldiesfreak:  It sickens me that so many of my brothers would vote for the party of slavery, but thankfully Mr. Hayes was able to prevail due to the wisdom of our Founding Fathers and the electoral college.

Oldiesfreak:  The end of the Union as we know it.  I cannot believe how quickly my brothers have forgotten that the party of slavery once divided this great nation into two.

Oldiesfreak:  Four more years of the party of slavery?  That's it.  I'm moving to Vermont, the last bastion of Republicanism!

HTMLDon:  Our party is dead.  Horrible candidates, horrible ideas and horrible campaigns.  If we can't win now, I don't think we will ever win.  In 1952 there will be no Republican party.

Oldiesfreak (R-VT): As a conservative Republican I remain loyal to Senator Taft, but I think we need both conservatives and liberals in our party.  I think this is our time.  The reign of the party of slavery is over.

Oldiesfreak (R-VT):  I cannot believe how naive people can be.  Whether you like it or not Lief, the Democrats remain the party of slavery.

Oldiesfreak (R-VT):  This southern strategy that you speak of Lief is actually a brilliant idea.  The country is changing and despite my deep hatred for anything Southern, I will gladly accept them to the GOP (please don't call us the GOP party!).  I believe those of you who accuse us of racism are misled.  The Democrats remain the party of slavery and that will never change.

Landslide Lyndon:  umm... there's this thing called the Civil Rights Act.  And then we have the southern strategy.  Sometimes I feel I'm surrounded by idiots.

Keystone Phil: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!1

Lief:  Uhhh no

Oldiesfreak:  Sorry Democrats.  You're still the party of slavery.

Sorry, but you can't change history.  If Democrats were the party of slavery when it existed (which they were), then they will always be the party of slavery.  And I probably would have been a liberal or moderate up until the Reagan years.  I most likely would have supported Eisenhower over Taft in 1952.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »

November 5, 2008
Jones: I can't believe that in this colorblind society that just elected the first black president, that Republicans would go from being tortured and killed fighting for civil rights to burning crosses and black churches in just a few short decades.  What?  That makes no sense?  It makes perfect sense!!!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »

November 5, 2008
Jones: I can't believe that in this colorblind society that just elected the first black president, that Republicans would go from being tortured and killed fighting for civil rights to burning crosses and black churches in just a few short decades.  What?  That makes no sense?  It makes perfect sense!!!

November 5, 2008
Oldiesfreak: This makes no sense. How on Earth did the first black President come from the party of slavery? It's impossible that things have changed at all in just several decades!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2012, 11:57:18 AM »

Explain?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »

An entity has no soul. It is merely a product of the people in it. Therefore, it would stand to reason that regardless of the stance the Democrats took 150 years ago is irrelevant. One can as well easily observe the direction the Democrats took in transforming from a party of agrarians, Catholics, and Southerners, to a party of Northern liberals. Ironically, it would be a Catholic who assisted in this transformation. No conservative should believe in collective sin. That's for the affirmative action folks. Fact is, all the supporters of slavery are long, long dead. Many segregationists are dead or out of office.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »

An entity has no soul. It is merely a product of the people in it. Therefore, it would stand to reason that regardless of the stance the Democrats took 150 years ago is irrelevant. One can as well easily observe the direction the Democrats took in transforming from a party of agrarians, Catholics, and Southerners, to a party of Northern liberals. Ironically, it would be a Catholic who assisted in this transformation. No conservative should believe in collective sin. That's for the affirmative action folks. Fact is, all the supporters of slavery are long, long dead. Many segregationists are dead or out of office.
True, but that doesn't really matter.  What matters is that they were Democrats.  It makes no difference whether it was five years ago, 50 years ago, or 500 years ago.  It still happened.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »

True, but that doesn't really matter.  What matters is that they were Democrats.  It makes no difference whether it was five years ago, 50 years ago, or 500 years ago.  It still happened.

I think we're all aware of this. Nobody's claiming KKK was founded by Republicans or that Lincoln was a Democrat.

It happened, but it doesn't say anything about present day Democratc, as much as about present day Republicans. There is no hereditary guilt and there is no hereditary credit.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »

ChairmanSanchez-2008-RRRUUUDDDDYYYY! Show that librul Ron Paul who is boss! USA! USA! USA!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »

Sorry, but you can't change history.  If Democrats were the party of slavery when it existed (which they were), then they will always be the party of slavery.

Your stupidity knows no bounds.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2012, 07:45:10 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

True, but that doesn't really matter.  What matters is that they were Democrats.  It makes no difference whether it was five years ago, 50 years ago, or 500 years ago.  It still happened.

I think we're all aware of this. Nobody's claiming KKK was founded by Republicans or that Lincoln was a Democrat.
It happened, but it doesn't say anything about present day Democratc, as much as about present day Republicans. There is no hereditary guilt and there is no hereditary credit.
Plenty of high-profile Democrats have tried to make that claim, though few have ever come out and actually said those things.  I'm not claiming that it says anything about the two parties now, I'm just stating facts, and I certainly think a party's history matters as much as their policies now. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »

I hope you're not a Christian, oldiesfreak. (Actually I hope you are, for the hypocrisy lulz!)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »

I hope you're not a Christian, oldiesfreak. (Actually I hope you are, for the hypocrisy lulz!)
Yes, I am a Christian, but how would that make me a hypocrite?  The things that Christians have done in the name of Christ (the Crusades, the Salem witch trials, etc.) are not true Christian behavior.  Jesus called us to love one another and I can guarantee you that He would not approve of the aforementioned actions carried out in His name.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2012, 07:55:34 PM »

Oldies, this has turned into a thread trying to get you to keep an open mind to the democratic party. We are not the party of slavery, I would be a republican if we held those values, but we no longer want racial segregation etc. We pioneered many current day reforms for racial equality, please keep an open mind.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »

True, but that doesn't really matter.  What matters is that they were Democrats.  It makes no difference whether it was five years ago, 50 years ago, or 500 years ago.  It still happened.

Plenty of high-profile Democrats have tried to make that claim, though few have ever come out and actually said those things.

[citation needed]
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »

Yes, I am a Christian, but how would that make me a hypocrite?  The things that Christians have done in the name of Christ (the Crusades, the Salem witch trials, etc.) are not true Christian behavior.  Jesus called us to love one another and I can guarantee you that He would not approve of the aforementioned actions carried out in His name.

Well sure, that's what Christians say these days. But the Christians of Salem, for instance, sure had no problem murdering suspected witches. Once a pro-innocent woman burning religion, always a pro-innocent woman burning religion.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2012, 08:27:32 PM »

Well sure, that's what Christians say these days. But the Christians of Salem, for instance, sure had no problem murdering suspected witches. Once a pro-innocent woman burning religion, always a pro-innocent woman burning religion.

I certainly think a party's religion's history matters as much as their policies beliefs now. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »

The "witches" were hanged, not burned.
Oldies, this has turned into a thread trying to get you to keep an open mind to the democratic party. We are not the party of slavery, I would be a republican if we held those values, but we no longer want racial segregation etc. We pioneered many current day reforms for racial equality, please keep an open mind.
True, both parties have had civil rights failures and successes, but Republicans pioneered more measures for racial equality than Democrats.  And I've never accused Democrats of today of being racist.  But doesn't it matter to you that they were racist at one point?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHWwl-8pco
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/02/us/the-1998-campaign-the-overview-clinton-and-gingrich-press-cases.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »

Yeah, but Christians of the 15th and 16th centuries in Europe burned plenty of witches. And modern-day Christianity is guilty of all the sins of 15th and 16th century Christianity.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »

After this, can we please get back to the topic at hand?

Missouri Democratic Party Radio Ad, 1998
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Source: http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/2012/05/15/house-democrats-planning-make-race-issue-2012
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »

Oldies, there are a plethora of reasons the Republican Party is today more worthy of your vote than the Democratic Party.

Not only is 'the Democrats supported slavery in the 1860s' not one of them, that's actually really stupid. Because organizations that have been around for centuries change with the times.

The example that you are Christian but disapprove of the Crusades was brought up. You answered that that's OK, because Christ would have disapproved of the Crusades too.

Lincoln wanted to deport black people to Central America. However, this is not a valid reason to oppose the Republican Party today. Why? Because everybody who was part of the organization back then is dead. Therefore, they no longer matter. You have to judge an organization by what it does now, or what it's done in the comparatively recent past (within the memberships of the majority of it's current members is how I would define this) to decide whether you approve or disapprove of it. The 1860s can't decide your vote in 2012.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #222 on: December 27, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »

Once you renounce Christianity or admit you're a hypocrite, sure.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »

Once you renounce Christianity or admit you're a hypocrite, sure.

Simfan34:

I was hoping someone could fill in the rest...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 01:28:54 AM by Lief »

Simfan why is Barack Obama dressed as a Nation of Islam member in your signature
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies