If only Atlas existed... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:43:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If only Atlas existed... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If only Atlas existed...  (Read 34528 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 17, 2011, 02:49:44 AM »
« edited: May 17, 2011, 02:56:03 AM by The Mikado »

30 CE:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
The Sanhedrin does, of course, have final say in these matters.  While I could tolerate what he was doing in the country (anyone that gives those obnoxious Pharisees a black eye is good in my book), I can not and will not accept someone disrupting Temple services.  Apparently Caiaphas got one of Yeshua's followers, one "Yehudah" (codenamed "Judas Iscariot" by the Romans) to betray Yeshua ben Yosef (I hear rumors that that should be "Yeshua ben Panteras," if you follow my drift) to the authorities.  About time that cult fractured.  I hear Simon the Rockhead, who has been following that kook around for years, denied him three times!  LOL, imagine that.  As if anyone was going to believe that.  

Yeshua really should have focused on his itinerant preacher career and not messed with the Temple authorities: the Priests are where the real power in Judea lies.  Speaking of real power, I hear tale that Pilatus might extradite him over to Herod Antipas.  I don't think Antipas will take it, too much of a hot potato.  Pilatus can't get rid of this one that easily.[/quote]
Mikado, get your Sadducee hooked-nose out of Caiaphas' ass and see what's going on.  The people are taxed enough already by the charlatans of the Temple.  We're "Rendering unto God" everything we have, and it's making the priests fatter than ever.  At this rate, the Sons of Levi will weigh more than the rest of the Jewish people combined.  At least the Romans do something with our tax money.  We can follow the Laws perfectly well, and achieve their true ritual meaning, without Temple authorities watching over us.  That obnoxious Yeshua is wrong about a lot of things, but he's right that the vaunted priestly authority shall not last.  Pharisaical faith needs no Priests, just the Law.[/quote]

At least Mikado is consistent: consistently wrong!  He only wants to "struggle" with Rome in order to spill the blood of the Jewish people for the benefit of the Priests!  Everyone knows the Roman Empire has done great things for us.  The "oppression" you complain about?  That's what happens when you act up!  If you ask me, the real problem are those damned Samaritans, not to mention the Idumaeans and Ishmaelites sneaking in from Nabataea and stealing our jobs.[/quote]
My friend Matthias (goes by "Matthew" around the Romans) was in the crowd today: they convicted Yeshua, let Barabbas go, and Pilatus washed his hands of the matter, literally.  Matthew says that the crowd shouted, "His blood be on us and on our children."  And so an innocent man goes to the grave.[/quote]
Innocent?  Yeshua blasphemed against the God of Abraham, claiming to be his equal.  In fact, he even supposedly claimed to be older than Abraham himself.  God won't let insults to His dignity be taken so lightly.  Even if you ignore the terrible blasphemy of this man, he disrupted legitimate commerce in the Temple Precincts with his rabble-rousing.  So much for the "free market," eh?  This Yeshua is a dangerous revolutionary rebel that needs to be put down.  Also, you keep talking about this friend Matthew of yours.  How do you know he was there?  I heard it was so crowded there, I bet your friend was in the very back.  How could he have heard a word Pilatus said?  I'm tired of your "eyewitnesses."[/quote]

If I have to hear your damn hippie crap one more time...[/quote]
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:49:29 AM »

Me, 1885:  

"W. S. Gilbert is a hack.  There's no drama, no grandeur, no splendor to The Mikado, and it's only marginally weightier than that Pinafore nonsense everyone was humming a few years back.  Sir Sullivan hitched his wagon to a buffoon.  Why couldn't he be more like Wagner?  Now there's music.  

Nothung! Nothung!
Neidliches Schwert!
Was mußtest du zerspringen?
Zu Spreu nun schuf ich
die scharfe Pracht,
im Tiegel brat' ich die Späne.

Can your Gilbert write anything with that...that...the soul of the Teutonic race calls from the wooded gale of Antique Germania, and it shouts, "Wagner!"
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

1010 BCE:

Mikado: I'm telling you, "King" Saul has his head up his ass.  We lose battle after battle against those Philistines and the only reason we ever win is that David.  Why don't we make him king?

Semocrat08:  David is soooo hunky!  I want to slather him down in oil and...

Ernest: I think you're going to have to get through about a dozen of David's wives for that.  Not to mention Prince Jonathan.  Wink

BushOK: There is absolutely nothing going on between David and Prince Jonathan!  They are simply very, very, very close friends!

Mr. Morden: Breaking!  Saul consults the ghost of Samuel through the witch of Endor!  Breaking!

Joe Republic:  Saul doesn't even have the guts to go into battle without asking a ghost for help?  Pathetic.

jmfcst:  Saul has broken the laws of Moses.  Surely he shall be struck down by the Philistines.

BushOK:  Surely God wouldn't let his Chosen People die in combat against the uncircumcised Philistines just because their king is a deranged schizophrenic!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »

1594:

Thread: What is the last play you've seen?

Naso: Romeo and Juliet. Absolutely brilliant, William Shakespeare is clearly the best playwright ever.
Eraserhead: Seriously Naso? Do you seriously like anything besides that mainstream pop culture garbage? Anyway I saw *obscurish play which no one remembers today* by *acclaimed playwright of the time no one remembers today* and it was awesome.

If you can somehow read that in Early Modern English.

Might as well join in on this:

Mikado:  Shakespeare has some technical talent, but is far too derivative to be called a "genius."  All the wonders he accomplishes with his sonnet?  Petrarch.  Shakespeare just capitalizes on an audience too illiterate to realize that he's just mostly adapting Petrarch to the rhythm of English.  Even against his contemporaries, Shakespeare wanes.  Have you ever laughed at a Shakespeare comedy?  Has anyone?  John Donne could make a person laugh so hard he wouldn't feel it if Donne was buggering him with a wooden splintered dildo.  Tragedy?  Has Shakespeare ever conjured up the drama of the late Marlowe's Taimburlaine the Great or the solemn mystery of his Faustus?  (And what is with our celebrities these days?  Marlowe left such a rotten impression on the kids, getting killed that way.  Dead in a barfight?)

Shakespeare has some raw talent, it cannot be denied, but a country boy from Somewhere-on-Somestream is certainly not the greatest talent on the English theatrical scene.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »

1967:

RooseveltRevivalist (ModernDemocrat1950):   The spectrum just seems so much further right wing than it used to.  The president's a bloodthirsty warmonger and is completely out of touch with regular people.  The Democratic Party's coalition that dominated power since Roosevelt's time is collapsing: just look at those midterm victories by the GOP!  I think I'm going to support Nixon, he'll be a better bet for the left than Humphrey.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2012, 12:00:59 AM by The Mikado »

1922:

Nay, laddie.  Michael Collins'll be stringin' ye up fer that offense.  B'gosh, me neighbor Tim Flannigan's best girl was burned alive as a witch last week, that she was!  Eire's a queer land, that she is begorra.[/quote]
Ireland sounds so barbaric.  And this is the 20th century?[/quote]
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »

1812:

Report from Napoleon:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies