If only Atlas existed... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:11:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If only Atlas existed... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If only Atlas existed...  (Read 34502 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 16, 2011, 06:44:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Are you bloody serious?  James Garfield?  I mean granted we are on a message board when the internet supposedly doesn't exist and therefore there is no Wikipedia but still somehow we all know who this James Garfield chap is.  Anyway, where the hell do you get this insane notion that a nobody like Garfield can somehow make it to the National Convention Ballot?  Especially when the likes of Sherman, Grant, and Blaine are all likely to be the top contenders?  Men with infinitely more name recognition than this randomass Ohio Representative?  I mean if anything he is probably just going to be a yes man for Sherman anyhow?
I mean why the hell would the Convention nominate a nobody like Garfield against someone with name recognition like Hancock, Hendricks, Bayard, or even Tilden.  Considering that Tilden kicked the GOP's asses in the popular vote and only lost by one electoral vote imagine what kind of damage he would do if a nobody like Garfield is nominated?
Astronomical says I.
Who the hell is James Garfield again?  He isn't that creepy pedophiliac looking dude with the beard is he?[/quote] You do realize that you just described like 3/4ths of the possible candidates for President, right?[/quote]
[/quote]

I remember this!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »

1967:Cathcon: What's with this rave about the Doors? Really, Morrisons's just some freak going around in leather pants. He claim Frank Sinatra's one of his inspirations, but Frank Sinatra is a classis and this guy's just a freak

Sadly, I think that's how I might have ended up if I were born early enough to be in the age of good music.

The sequel to Mechaman's 1918 post...
1918: Cathcon: God! Really! You know how sick I get when you people start talking about Roosevelt and Wilson as warmongers? You known how sick I get of that "imperialist" bullsh**t? God! This is you: "Oh my God! We're actually sending our boys to war? Imperialist!" Seriously, you don't have the stomach to bear the idea of use of military force.

As for other people:
Mechaman would be one of the big opponents of prohibition. He make a million timelines based on the adventures of the Kennedys, Al Smith, David Walsh, James Farley, etc.

Winfield would in 1962 talk about hwo Nelson Rockefeller's going to win the nomination in 1964 and be the greatest President ever. In 1968 he invests heavily in the Romney for President campaign.

tb75 would go nuts for Wendell Willkie for no reason

Wormyguy's a big Coolidge supporter.

20RP12 talks about how nuts for Robert Taft he is and is name 20RT12. His hopes, of course, will be let down.

Bushoklahoma is named Nixonoklahoma and despite admittedly voting for McGovern talks about how he supported Nixon.

Angus: Relax. I myself grew up in a huge pro-Bryan household. However, my beliefs came into their own and now I'm a Republican, though I did vote Roosevelt in 1932 and 1936.

One of Benconstine's usernames is "Henry Jackson 76". However, he turns away from his moderate-heroness and gets rid of his Jackson obsession.

While these aren't funny, they're the best I can think of. And if anybody takes offense, they're all done in an attempt at humor and be forgiving.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »

nclib: Women should be given the right to vote.
jmfcst: Bible verse x says women should not have input on who runs a man's country.
libertarian conservatives: nclib, you're such a feminist. If some states decide they don't want women to vote, you and your elitist feminists should accept that.

I don't want this thread to turn into a debate thread, but: "...Because voting rights and abortion rights are exactly the same thing!" is what I would sarcastically say to this.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »

Opebo: How can you not root for Adolf Hitler? HIs flair, his charisma, his mode of dress, his speeches! It's those Western Imperialists that want to shut the man down. Luckily, he's staying strong despite all this bad talk about him.

Jmfcst: I'm not saying I'm rooting for Hitler, I'm just saying that I'm afraid of what a post-Hitler Germany might yield. Heck, we could have the USSR reaching their hand into Germany!

Libertas: (regarding supporters of the war) Looks like Imperialist Democrats and Imperialist Republicans think alike. Even Vandenburg, as so-called "Conservative" has sold out to the fascist Roosevelt. America has no business going into Germany and in all likelihood will just promote more attacks on American soil.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »

Opebo throughout the ages...

33: (not willing to get into all that math about when He died): how can you not root for the Romans?
1789: How can you not root for Louis XVI?
1918: How can you not root for the Khaiser Willhelm?
1962: How can you not root for Castro?
1974: How can you not root for Nixon?
1990: How can you not root for Saddam?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »

1968 would be epic.

U.S. Presidential Election 1968 board - "LBJ NOT running"

Mr Morden - He just announced in a live address from the Oval Office.

opebo - Damn. He is the greatest ever U.S. President. Now we will elect that far-right winger Eugene McCarthy.

dead0man - I like how th Left defends a warmonger like LBj.

Libertas - (In response to opebo) Uh, no. He is one of the worst people ever to live.

pbrower2a - *Posts a map showing how RFK and McCarthy would do against Nixon.*

April 4th 1968:

U.S. General Discussion board - "Martin Luther King Jr. shot dead"

Everyone pays their sincere condolences, until....

Robert Stark - good riddanss to tat nwo sccum!!!!1111!!!!

This then triggers a 'debate' between him and about 50 other posters that lasts for about 80 pages.

June 6th 1968:

U.S. Presidential Election 1968 board - "Robert F. Kennedy is dead"

Libertas - He may have been against the Vietnam War but he was still a Zionist shill.

Einzige - (In response to Libertas) You're always selling out to Social Communism.

Points for accuracy. You also have to mention how RFK was Catholic, and for Libertas that'd be one of the good points, but IMO not good enough cause, well, he was a Zionist (apparently).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 06:07:31 AM »

This is my favorite thread in a long, long time.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »

Summer of 1929

Cathcon:  Well, they still allow priests to have sacramental wine.  They have to.  It's in the constitution.

At least I've carved out some sort of stereotype here.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 10:08:05 PM »

7 B.C. in Bethlehem:

BushOK and Cathcon: ...W-where's Jesus?

Me: L-O-FREAKING-L

What?

Also, what's with all the anti-Jesus and anti-Cathcon stuff lately?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 01:23:40 PM »

20RP12 talks about how nuts for Robert Taft he is and is name 20RT12. His hopes, of course, will be let down.

HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THIS EARLIER
THIS IS GENIUS

It would actually be something like "19RT52", or "19RT48". I messed up on this one.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »

An entity has no soul. It is merely a product of the people in it. Therefore, it would stand to reason that regardless of the stance the Democrats took 150 years ago is irrelevant. One can as well easily observe the direction the Democrats took in transforming from a party of agrarians, Catholics, and Southerners, to a party of Northern liberals. Ironically, it would be a Catholic who assisted in this transformation. No conservative should believe in collective sin. That's for the affirmative action folks. Fact is, all the supporters of slavery are long, long dead. Many segregationists are dead or out of office.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 08:41:17 AM »

People do know that the Democrats supported slavery way back when. However, they're still willing to be part of that party in today's society because they prioritize current policy over past policy. If someone is pro-choice, supports a national healthcare system, etc. having them vote GOP because of a 150 year old war is pointless & likely a disservice to them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »

The fact that the Democratic Party supported slavery at the time (and remember there were some abolitionist Democrats and Republicans who were on the fence about the 13th amendment) is true. However, it does not influence my vote today (well, once I can vote in 2014/16). The parties are just names, and have each represented differing policies in the past.

It is also true that Southern Democrats supported segregation in the post-Civil War era. In the present day, however, you can't deny that, of relevant politicians, it is universally Tea Partiers like Mike Lee and Ron Paul who have implied opposition to the CRA. If you remove the 11 former Confederate states (and remember that all 10 House Republicans from those states voted against the CRA), a higher percentage of Democrats voted for the bill than Republicans.

Also remember that Republicans were arguably just as racist as Democrats in the post-ACW time period, just not against the same targets. It was a Republican-led effort promoting nativism and sentiments against Irish, Italian, and Eastern European immigrants. In the mid to late 1800's, Irish Catholics in America voted Democratic at the same levels as blacks do today, if not higher, because of the perception that the GOP was the party of nativist Protestants.
Yeah, but most of those immigrants were white, so it wasn't technically racism. 

I have a problem with this. If it wasn't racism, what was it? And regardless of its name, was it in any way right?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies