The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:06:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32
Author Topic: The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration  (Read 95309 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: July 17, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »

Endorsed
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #376 on: July 17, 2013, 09:21:56 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2013, 09:58:52 PM by Fmr. President and Secretary Polnut »

Thank you to those who have given me their support publicly and privately, it means a lot to me.

I will be contesting the at-large Senate race and I welcome Governor Maxwell to it, I am sure it will be close and hard-fought one.

I will shortly be releasing my first agenda item, and that is on veterans support, an issue I have worked hard on as president, but much remains to be done. I will also be releasing my policies on conservation and energy as well as education. Another focus will be ensuring greater support for small business.

These are areas I have strong experience with, and with that experience, a record.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #377 on: July 18, 2013, 12:59:50 AM »

Having served as Secretary of External Affairs and as Commander-in-Chief of our armed forces, I understand the grave decisions that go into sending young men and women into harm's way.

As president, I saw an overhaul of our military spending, a corner-stone of which was the creation of a new mental health support system for veterans. We have, for too long, ignored the real and long-term dangers of post-traumatic stress. Veterans have an unforgivably high suicide rate and have a tremendous threat of homelessness stemming from mental illness. This program was designed to fix that and I am proud of that. But what happens once the support is there?

Let's look at the issue that is staring us in the face, veterans are facing inexcusable waiting times for their claims to be assessed. Some in excess of two years, now, this isn't to get support, this is to get their claim for support approved or denied. We know that veterans have died because support wasn't provided fast enough, veterans and their families have become homeless. After their sacrifices, and the sacrifices borne by their families, they deserve better.

Therefore, I will be pursuing a re-vamp of the way claims for veterans support are assessed. We present tax returns, which are normally checked for abnormalities and approved or sent for further assessment if something looks wrong. This has cut the processing time for federal tax returns by more than 50%. We need to institute this for veterans support claims.

But this is only one part, the other is to work through the current backlog, while putting new claims through the electronic system. We need to provide more resources, with strong oversight, to those who are making these assessments to ensure they do not apply unnecessary delays.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #378 on: July 18, 2013, 02:09:30 AM »

Definitely endorsed!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #379 on: July 18, 2013, 04:45:22 AM »

Will you pledge to check each bill and committee thread ever day if elected?

There's no reason to check the committee threads, as they don't do anything of substance which differs from the Senate at-large OR they don't do anything at all for that matter.

Which is a perfect example of a sel-fullfilling prophesy, Talleyrand and thus why some of them never do anything and/or why we can never change that situation.

I just through the committees thread in their to be thorough, my main problem at this juncture is the slow speed at which Senators are voting. I even sent a PM asking the Senators to try and vote more often just two days or so ago and since then our number has shrunk by two. I hate to think I might have pushed one or both over the edge but considering the recent events, I think it very legitimate to ask this question, for you can be sure I will be expecting such from whoever ends up winning.

And just for the record "every day" isn't quite a hard standard, but I figure if people strive for every day then at the very least the frequency of voting will increase even if perfection is never reached.

Will you pledge to check each bill and committee thread ever day if elected?

I will be active and engaged, having worked with me before, hopefully you should know that Wink

Yes, just like I worked with Kalwejt, Scott, Barnes, and BK before.  Now about that voting pledge, again.... Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #380 on: July 18, 2013, 04:59:19 AM »

Yankee... have I ever not done my duty?

You have my word, or if I can't you will know in advance.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #381 on: July 18, 2013, 08:41:48 AM »

Endorsed..Not sure how far that will go unless I become eligible to vote Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #382 on: July 18, 2013, 03:56:43 PM »

I again would like to offer the floor to any questions people have Smiley
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #383 on: July 18, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »

What is your quest?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #384 on: July 18, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »

Zilker Park, Austin TX

Good evening!

I'm told that's it's still 97 degrees, so the fact that anyone is here today is a bit of a surprise, although a very pleasant one.

Ladies and gentlemen, I don't shirk from a contest, and I believe this race for Senate will be a strong contest all the way to end. So I'm here to ask for your vote but most importantly your enthusiasm for what we can do together.

Now, my long history in Atlasia has been noted by my opponents, and I acknowledge, I've been around a long time. But unlike some in the past who have hopped from position to position, experience should be a means to an end, not the end itself.

My years as a Governor, an Assemblyman, a Speaker, a President and as a Cabinet Secretary have given me the opportunity to see how good and bad laws are made and executed in his country. I agree that being around a long time and being active does not equal success, what equals success is using your time, leaning from your mistakes, working hard and most of all, producing results.

I will put my record of achievement up to public scrutiny, there are things I wish I had handled better, things I wish I had focused on more, but overall, I look back at my record with a degree of satisfaction. But not complacency.

I'm not running to be the Labor candidate, I'm not running to be the progressive candidate, I'm not running because of ego. I'm running because I believe we have much more to do together and I'm not out of energy or ideas.

Yesterday, I released my position on veteran's support, making sure that we overhaul the way support applications are managed and vetted. We owe them so much more, but it is something we can do and if you elect me, we will do.

As President I worked to reduce small business taxation and in a depressed time, to get our biggest group of employers confident and active again. I want to do more. I believe we can protect worker's rights and ensure that the businesses they work for can thrive. I want to talk with small business to know what you think, not what a politician speaking for you thinks, will help your businesses to grow into the future.

I have a history of irritating people on my own side of politics because I want to seek out common ground, so I'm serious, no option is off the table. I want to open the door to small business and have a serious discussion, with the condition that I will not undermine the protections of Atlasian workers in fact, I want to put them on a stronger footing. I know this can be done.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am here asking for your vote because I know I still have more to offer this country and I wouldn't be here otherwise. I have knowledge and experience as to how things get done. But most important of all, my record is there to let you know that I will hard for you every single day and that is directed to all Atlasians.

Thank you all!

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #385 on: July 18, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »

STATEMENT

I have noted with sadness the demise today of the Liberal Party. Despite my issues with them over the last few months, as an early member and the first Liberal president, this is a sad time.

I wish the membership and leadership well and for those who have joined us in the Labor Party, welcome.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #386 on: July 18, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »

duh...

Wink
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #387 on: July 18, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »

Obviously endorsed.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #388 on: July 18, 2013, 09:29:19 PM »

Endorsed
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #389 on: July 19, 2013, 06:40:07 AM »

Semprinily endorsed !
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #390 on: July 19, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »

Endorsed!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #391 on: July 20, 2013, 01:59:55 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2013, 04:37:53 AM by Fmr. President and Secretary Polnut »

University of Colorado, Boulder

Good evening Boulder!

Thank you all for coming out tonight, giving up your Friday night.

I'm here to talk to you about an important issue for all of us, energy.

We have had a lot of discussion, especially in the IDS about energy production over the past year and it's an important issue, indeed a vital one. I believe that we need to balance those needs of a growing economy and population, as well as doing what we can to reduce emissions and develop advanced technology.

I'll make this clear, it will be my policy to create a moratorium for three years on building new coal-powered power stations. Until we stop thinking that answer is to just keep digging and keep drilling, we will not give these alternative power sources a chance. Now, we have enough though our established grid to keep us going. This can be done if we're going to be serious about energy-efficiency too. There is no silver bullet, this has to be multi-faceted and I believe the Federal Government, in association with the regions need to get this going.

I know nuclear is a word that sends people into a bit of tizz, let's be honest. Now, it's not by any means my preferred alternative source. But I believe we should be focusing on developing our capacity and utilising what we already have for the short to medium term.

Let's think about the fact that we are making world class components of solar and wind technology, then exporting to other countries to allow them to generate technology, and despite our investments, we are still asking whether or not it can work.

This is reality, our investments so far have not been focusing on getting the confidence in these technologies up. There are vested interests who need to tell people, it can't work, it's too expensive. We will not see broad-scale renewables as part of base-load for a little while yet. But until we start being serious about it, we can't really start the countdown.

It will be my policy to get the discussion out there, to base it on reality, not vested interests. This doesn't even need to be about climate change, but about investment in innovation and jobs.

We can do it, and but we can't achieve anything until we get moving and start taking this issue seriously.

I need your help and I need your vote to make this happen.

Thank you all!!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2013, 05:18:45 AM »

If elected, what approach would you take to the Judicial Tenure Amendment?

Also, what direction would like to see the Education Bill take?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2013, 08:36:20 AM »

If elected, what approach would you take to the Judicial Tenure Amendment?

Also, what direction would like to see the Education Bill take?

Thank you Senator for the question...

I made a comment during the discussions earlier in the year that I would never do anything to that would lead to the politicisation of the court. So, I would completely oppose any suggestion of electing the justices. The issue of tenure is tricky and I admit being a little torn as the best way to approach it.

I was strongly opposed to the attempts to clear the court but I agree that stagnation could be a weakness, I would be open to perhaps some kind of term, say 3-4 years when the term is up, the justice's position would be up for a renewal.

Now, the Education Bill.

This is an important issue to me and it's an necessary discussion to be having. The discussion in the Senate brought up some things that I think need some consideration.

* the standardised testing issue worries me, I don't believe that there should be any direct connection between test scores and funding levels. I agreed with Senator Hagrid's position that if anything, lower test scores suggest the need for more funding, not less. But your suggestion of perhaps a period of testing to determine improvement would be better than one year.

* I also worry that the Bill is too detailed. Surely the role of the Senate is to provide an education framework and maybe some kind of idea of standards and expectations. So, I disagree with the idea of Senate outlining how many hours a day each student should be in the classrooms.

* I also agree with Snowguy, I think this is too much about the teacher unions and detail that we don't really have an understanding of. So my view is this Bill should be streamlined as much as a possible with a clearer idea as to what it is designed to achieved.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2013, 11:49:45 PM »

Balboa Park, San Diego

Thank you all very much for coming out this evening...

Next weekend, we will all be headed to polls to make an important decision. Who has the experience and knowledge to hit the ground running, working to get real reforms done.

As I'm in the Pacific, I think it's important for me to discuss the issue at the forefront of your minds. Getting your regional government working again, delivering the services you need, the services you pay taxes to receive.

I was strongly opposed to the decision of the council to undertake such drastic action. Now, I understand why they felt compelled to do something, but I was, honestly, furious about the disregard for many of you shown by the council you elected to serve your best interests.

This decision to dissolve the government  put thousands of jobs immediately in jeopardy and risk the region's economy and through that, the wider national economy. We have been going so well to get our economy back on track, we cannot afford this issue to keep going.

While, throwing this decision to Federal Government to fix, is something that I think was irresponsible, the fact is, the situation is here now and while the Pacific is very slowly coming back to life, it is an issue we need to address. We need to make sure that this never happens again. I will support Senate measures to underpin the reformed Pacific Government, but work to form some kind of Constitutional mechanism that can override a region who fails to perform their basic functions.

I have supported numerous measures that maintain regional integrity and sovereignty, but there comes a time when the Federal Government needs to be able to step in to make sure the rights and freedoms of the people of a region are not weakened or undermined.

Finally, this election is shaping up to be a real race, as I always expected it to be. The Federalists are motivated and excited after the close presidential race, they are fired up but I want you to know, I am ready for this fight. I am looking forward to a debate with the Federalist candidate next week. We are returning to a two-party system, which I think is sad, but this is the new reality. But I hope all will look at the candidates on their qualities, their experience and their visions, not purely by whatever is next to their name.

We have a week to go and I need your help and your vote, thank you all!!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »

Why are "regional integrity and sovereignty" relevant or meaningful when regions themselves are often unable to maintain even minimal activity levels?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #396 on: July 21, 2013, 12:02:33 AM »

That is an important point. My first elected office was Governor of the Mideast, when the Governor just vanished. For a long time, I was the entirety of the Mideast Government - it was hard.

Issue of regional activity are hard to manage, as I said, I completely understand the reasoning behind your moves, I just don't think they were well considered. Plus, after this excitement has worn off, what happens next. You can't just keep dissolving the regional government and causing chaos.

Hopefully, the upside of this drama is that it wakes people up to the importance of regional government.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #397 on: July 21, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »

Why are "regional integrity and sovereignty" relevant or meaningful when regions themselves are often unable to maintain even minimal activity levels?
We're active enough to have a seven candidate election for pacific council. The council was active enough to dissolve a regional government! Maybe the fact that there wasn't a government would explain the low activity within the government! Maybe! You can't try to organize an anarchy, then blame it on low activity levels. Activity would be increased if we actually had a government! Setting up an anarchy in a game based on government has to be the most ludicrous, hypocritical thing that has ever been done in the eight year history of this game!

But that's just my opinion.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #398 on: July 21, 2013, 01:18:26 AM »

You mention "the importance of regional government", but you don't mention what that importance actually is. Why is it important? Did the lack of any actual government in the Pacific Region adversely affect Atlasia at all?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #399 on: July 21, 2013, 01:33:05 AM »

You mention "the importance of regional government", but you don't mention what that importance actually is. Why is it important? Did the lack of any actual government in the Pacific Region adversely affect Atlasia at all?
11% unemployment
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies