The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:19:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32
Author Topic: The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration  (Read 95400 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: March 02, 2015, 12:02:28 AM »

I will be seeking re-election.

However, I won't be making many statements in relation to the election until the special election race has been settled.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #676 on: March 02, 2015, 02:14:15 AM »

Glorious news!

Obligatory:

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #677 on: March 02, 2015, 02:16:17 AM »

Endorsed, naturally.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #678 on: March 02, 2015, 09:28:21 AM »

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #679 on: March 02, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »

You will naturally have my support!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #680 on: March 02, 2015, 01:17:22 PM »

Thank goodness. I'd have been tempted to run had you retired, and no one wants that!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #681 on: March 02, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »

Oh how great!

Endorsed!!!!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #682 on: March 03, 2015, 05:40:18 AM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #683 on: March 03, 2015, 08:39:39 PM »

I can promise a strong preference man. Good luck!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #684 on: March 03, 2015, 11:22:53 PM »

I can promise a strong preference man. Good luck!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #685 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:46 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 09:59:11 PM by Senator Polnut »

PRESS RELEASE

Activity

I want to make this perfectly clear. I reject suggestions that I am one of the least active members of the Senate. I did miss a few largely procedural votes in the month of February, and while I am sorry for the substantive votes I missed. I do reject that activity can only be represented through such a mechanical fashion. But I am aware that this is a bad look and as we are entering an election, no doubt will be used a ripe ammunition.

But I want to assure all Atlasians that I will be ensuring full participation in all processes, to ensure that the ranking reflects my actual activity level. I am an active and engaged representative of all Atlasians and I intend to make sure that all ways that it can be assessed, regardless of what I might think of their relevance, reflect that.

The Atlasian people should have that level of confidence in all elected officials. Our work is to represent and serve you, not ourselves or our own narrow personal agenda, whatever that might be.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #686 on: March 04, 2015, 10:11:10 PM »

I would definitely like to see windjammer's calculation of said 40%.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #687 on: March 05, 2015, 12:19:51 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Combating Boko Haram

This evening, I submitted a Bill to have the Senate deal with the scourge of West Africa that is Boko Haram. Despite some limited pleasing actions by the Nigerian military, I believe the hesitancy of the Nigerian Government to aggressively combat this menace has significant international concerns.

We are dealing with mass executions, mass abductions, rapes and forced marriages. This is a terrorist organisation, as we deal with our own extremists, can cannot ignore the poor people of Nigeria who are dealing with such dreadful circumstances.

This plan will ensure that if the Nigerian Government has not put in place a clear and concrete plan to combat Boko Haram forces by 31 March 2015, then we will cease all military aid on 1 April. In a plan is in place, we will provide intelligence and other relevant support, as well as increase humanitarian aid for those living in fear after fleeing Boko Haram.

This Bill also calls for the Secretary of External Affairs to convene a multi-nation working group to address the impact and the need of countries facing the direct, or indirect threat of Boko Haram or of associated terror groups.

I want to stress that this Bill specifically rules out the presence of Atlasian forces, beyond any possible security needs for Atlasian infrastructure. This is Nigeria's fight, but one with international consequences. I have always argued that our strength should be in knowing how to use our power in the right way. I believe these are productive and positive steps.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #688 on: March 05, 2015, 07:54:05 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 01:02:35 PM by Mideast Senator windjammer »

I would definitely like to see windjammer's calculation of said 40%.
Fine, I see no problems explaining myself.
By a vote of 5-4 this has passed the senate and is sent to the president for executive action

Aye: bore, Cranberry, BK, SWE, Cris

Nay: TNF, Windjammer, Lief, Yankee

Not Voting: Polnut

By a vote of 5-3 this resolution has passed the senate

Aye: Yankee, SWE, Cranberry, Bore, Cris

Nay: TNF, Lief, Windjammer

Not Voting: Polnut, Bacon King

By a margin of 3-4-3 this has failed:

Aye: Cris, Windjammer, Lief

Nay: TNF, Yankee, Polnut, SWE

Abstain: Bore, Cranberry, Bacon King

By a vote of 9-0 this bill has passed the senate and is sent to the president for executive action

Aye: Bore, Polnut, TNF, Yankee, SWE, Lief, Windjammer, Cris, Cranberry

Not Voting: BK

By a vote of 0-8 this amendment has failed to pass the senate

Nay: TNF, Cranberry, SWE, Lief, Bore, Windjammer, Polnut, Cris

Not Voting: Yankee, BK

By a vote of 2-4 this amendment has failed the senate:

Aye: Bore, Cris

Nay: Windjammer, Yankee, TNF, Lief

Not Voting: Bacon King, Polnut, Cranberry, SWE

By a vote of 5-2 cranberry's amendment has been adopted

Aye: bore, Cris, Cranberry, TNF, SWE

Nay: Windjammer, Lief

Not Voting: Polnut, Yankee, BK

By a vote of 8-0 this bill has passed the senate and is sent to the president for executive action:

Aye: TNF, Yankee, SWE, Bore, Cris, Lief, Polnut, Windjammer

Not Voting: BK, Cranberry

By a vote of 4-4 (Cranberries vote was a little too late), the veto override has failed, and, consequently, the bill has failed.

Aye: TNF, Windjammer, Lief, SWE

Nay: Yankee, Cris, Bore, Polnut

Not Voting: BK, Cranberry

By a vote of 5-3 this bill has passed the senate and is sent to the president for executive action

Aye: TNF, SWE, Lief, Windjammer, Cranberry

Nay: Bore, Yankee, Cris

Not Voting: BK, Polnut

By a vote of 9-0 this bill has passed and is sent to the president for executive action:

Aye: Cranberry, Polnut, Lief, Yankee, TNF, bore, Cris, SWE, windjammer

By a vote of 7-0 this bill has passed

Aye: Bore, SWE, TNF, Yankee, Cris, Windjammer, Cranberry

Not Voting; Polnut, BK, Lief

By a vote of 10-0 this bill has passed the senate and is sent to the president for executive action

Aye: Polnut, BK, TNF, Bore, Yankee, Cris, Cranberry, Windjammer, Lief, SWE

By a vote of 6-2 this has passed the senate and is sent to the president for executive action

Aye: Bore, Polnut, Yankee, Windjammer, Cris, Cranberry

Nay: TNF, Lief

Not Voting: BK, SWE

Oops, I thought I'd already closed this.

By a vote of 7-2 this amendment has failed

Aye: TNF, Lief

Nay: Bore, Yankee, Polnut, Cris, Cranberry, Windjammer, SWE

By a vote of 7-1 windjammer's amendment has been passed

Aye: Cris, SWE, Yankee, Bore, Lief, Windjammer, Cranberry

Nay: TNF

Not Voting: Polnut, BK

By a vote of 5-0 Bore's amendment has been adopted

Aye: Bore, SWE, Yankee, Cris, Windjammer

Senators have 36 hours to object to windjammer's amendment

By a vote of 7-1 Cris's amendment has been adopted

Aye: Bore, Yankee, SWE, Windjammer, Cris, Cranberry, Lief

By a vote of 4-2-2 the amendment has been adopted

Aye: Bore, Yankee, Cris, Cranberry

Nay: TNF, Lief

Abstain: Windjammer, SWE

By a vote of 5-2-1 TNF's amendment has been adopted

Aye: Bore, Lief, SWE, TNF, Cranberry

Nay: Yankee, Cris

Abstain: Windjammer

(Polnut's vote was too late)

By a vote of 4-2-1 bore's amendment has passed

Aye: Bore, Cranberry, Lief, TNF

Nay: Yankee, Windjammer

Abstain: Cris

Not Voting: SWE, BK, Polnut

By a vote of 6-1-1 windjammer has become sponsor of this bill:

Aye: Bore, Cranberry, Yankee, Lief, Windjammer, Cris

Abstain: SWE

By a vote of 5-1 windjammer's amendment has been adopted

Aye: Bore, Cranberry, Cris, Yankee, Windjammer

Not Voting: Polnut, SWE, Lief, BK

Senators a vote is now open on windjammer assuming sponsorship, please vote aye nay or abstain

By a vote of 6-1-1 Yankee's amendment has been adopted

Aye: Bore, Windjammer, Yankee, Cris, SWE, Cranberry

Abstain: Lief

Senators have 36 hour to object to windjammer's amendment

By a vote of 4-1 Cris's amendment has passed

Aye: Bore, Cranberry, Cris, Windjammer

Not Voting: Polnut, Bacon King, Yankee, Lief, SWE

Maxwell, 25 votes have been casted. Oh my bad, I was wrong about Polnut's activity score. This isn't 40% but 36%. My apology.

-----------------

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #689 on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:57 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 09:53:16 AM by X »

Did any occur when any of these Senators gave a legitimate reason for their absences?  If so, those objectibely shouldn't be counted against them in your scoring or listed in your post.  For example, I recall you criticizing BK for missing some votes due to being offline during Thanksgiving.  I'd hope we can agree that it is silly to criticize someone for missing votes in Atlasia because they were spending a holiday with their loved ones.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #690 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »

Did any occur when any of these Senators were on LOAs or gave a legitimate reason for their absences?  If so, those objectibely shouldn't be counted against him in your scoring or listed in your post.  For example, I recall you getting up in arms because BK missed some votes due to being offline during Thanksgiving.  I'd hope we can agree that it is silly to criticize someone for missing votes in Atlasia because they were spending a holiday with their loved ones. 

I also would like to know how you count someone voting "abstain" because that is very different than missing a vote.

Someone voting Abstain has his vote counted because he voted. There is a difference between "Non Voting' and 'Abstain".

Well, I actually have to disagree, he didn't take a leave of absence BK and his impeachment trial was deserved. And considering how his activity score is (less than 20%), I don't regret at all having voted to impeach him.

Only 2 senators have been on Leave of Absence in February: Cranberry and SWE. I have always chosen not to count the LOA because it would be "unfair" to those who don't take a LOA. I could see a lot of abuses, I recall Nappy taking a LOA until the end of his term for example. So the 2 scores (Cris counting the LOA) is a better idea.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #691 on: March 05, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 07:39:49 PM by Senator Polnut »

Alright everyone lets move on to the job we're actually elected to do. If Senators wish to undertake these types of ranking systems, then that's their prerogative. But at the same time, they should expect to be challenged or to be asked for more specific detail about what is considered activity.

As I said, I will make very very clear that those who elected me and those who didn't that my activity is not just quantitative but qualitative. A Senator's contribution to the Senate is not just about the raw number of votes attended, but contributions to the Senate's work through thoughtful legislation, debate and consensus-building.

Now.

A little while ago, the Senate passed my Bill on Prison Reform. Namely to institute a Senate committee to study the challenges of the issue and what the Federal Senate may be able to do to address them. I have been working on this issue for a few weeks and I'm now presenting my findings.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #692 on: March 05, 2015, 10:18:40 PM »

Alright, since the proper thread was locked before I could say my piece, let me say it here:

I believe that the attacks on Polnut from certain elements of Atlasia are completely unacceptable and unfounded. Before going on, I'd like to reiterate the point I made in the BK controversy: Atlasia is a game, not real life politics. Some posters, especially our older ones like BK and Polnut, have actual lives to live. They have jobs. They have houses. Hell, some even have girlfriends or boyfriends. Not all of us are kids who just started college and have nothing better to do with our lives than pretend we're Senators or presidents or whatever. It's easy to forget that there are actual, real life people with actual, real life issues that have more to do than idle on IRC all day and play video games.

Onto the next point: Part of the reason that this happens is because Cris and Windjammer's tracker hold procedural votes at the same weight as a final vote on the actual legislation itself. Our Senators do not distinguish a vote on an amendment with a bill. Out of the 16 of 25 votes Polnut has missed, nine have been votes on adopting amendments before the final bill or a re-adoption of sponsorship (not to mention that one of those votes was late). In five of those threads, he had substantial participation in debate (that is, something more than "I support this because X said so). That leaves four actual votes where he was actually inactive.

All in all, this reminds me of another controversy that I was personally involved in during the beginning of my career. You all remember the Northeast in September - Matt started dealing with some real life issues (that I won't get into because I trust him enough), and his activity dropped off a cliff. Naturally, the Labor aristocracy decided to seize the opportunity and tried to tie me to this problem of inactivity. However, anyone who works with me knows that I am usually a man of conciseness - unless I'm motivated (like I am now), I'll usually get my point across, and leave it at that. This was an obviously desperate dig at my activity, and windjammer's defense of it seems like a desperate attempt to defend a system that needed work.

Now, anyone who has dealt with me knows that I am a straight-shooter. Some have been relatively deserved , and others... well... have been misguided. I've even called out my most famous recruit because I felt like he was trying to hurt TPP and some of my goals. I'm still slightly sore from the way Bacon King has been treated, but at least he has legitimate inactivity concerns. Polnut, meanwhile, has managed to put a lot of thought into his debates and actually proven that he pays attention to Atlasia, which I don't believe should be criticized because he didn't participate or debate on four votes. I'd like to also demonstrate my disappointment with Griffin, and while I understand and sympathize with his instinct to defend his fellow party member, you gotta admit when your friends fyck up - especially when certain members of the Senate simply are there for the "aye" or "nay". I'm disappointed that windjammer has decided to defend his tracker that needed work as accurate, and I'm disappointed that Griffin is going along with it and defending it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #693 on: March 05, 2015, 10:37:03 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 10:38:47 PM by Lowly Griff »

I'd like to also demonstrate my disappointment with Griffin, and while I understand and sympathize with his instinct to defend his fellow party member, you gotta admit when your friends fyck up - especially when certain members of the Senate simply are there for the "aye" or "nay". I'm disappointed that windjammer has decided to defend his tracker that needed work as accurate, and I'm disappointed that Griffin is going along with it and defending it.

He didn't fyck up - he posted a simple measurement that was an indicator of one thing that on its own is objectively true, and several people proceeded to lose their sh!t when Maxwell, of all people, expressed incredulity over that metric. If people want to create trackers that evaluate how many words of debate by each member has occurred, how many of this or how many of that by each member has been created/missed/issued, then that's fine, but just because any one of those fails to take into account 100% of everything doesn't mean it is inaccurate.

I stand by my statement, which applies in all circumstances, at all times throughout the game and on all occasions. In this particular occasion and with this particular metric, TPP looks bad in the formal process through which legislation is adopted - whether you talk until you're blue in the face while something is being debated is rather irrelevant if you're not there to cast a ballot in favor or against something once it's up for a vote - and that the people associated with the party will likely defend it, and the people who are not will likely attack it. It wasn't that long ago that these roles were literally reversed. Let's please not try to dress this up in some sort of nobility or make it a crusade: it is what it is. Maybe another metric will show a different picture: I say produce it, rather than attacking the one others worked hard to produce.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #694 on: March 05, 2015, 10:58:43 PM »

Guys, I appreciate the passion in here. But I think it's in everyone's best interests for this issue to be put to bed. I acknowledged my eye has been taken off the ball over the past few weeks, but that the metric produced does not in any way reflect the quality of my activity or participation in the Senate. But I have committed myself to ensure that all Atlasians know that I am active and engaged in any possible metric of measurement. None of us in the Senate are perfect, and I'm sure most of us would fall down with different parameters.

As I said, if Senators Windjammer and Cris wish to re-open their thread, then they should. I think the measurements on different policy positions would be genuinely interesting to see.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #695 on: March 05, 2015, 11:07:49 PM »

I'm not attacking his skills at all. I'm just saying - there are some clear flaws (even on the single metric he used) that I've managed to diagnose that shouldn't be dismissed with juvenile red herrings of "Well why don't you make one?"

Considering my working relationship with windjammer, I'd believe he would take the problems I pointed out into consideration to make it better.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #696 on: March 05, 2015, 11:35:45 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 11:39:30 PM by Speaker of the South Maxwell »

I'm not sure what this means. lol. But when windjammer showed me, the incredulity left my system.

But glad to see Polnut taking constructive steps to counteract the study.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #697 on: March 05, 2015, 11:39:23 PM »

I'm not attacking his skills at all. I'm just saying - there are some clear flaws (even on the single metric he used) that I've managed to diagnose that shouldn't be dismissed with juvenile red herrings of "Well why don't you make one?"

Well what else needs to be said? A strawman was basically set up by saying "well this metric doesn't measure everything", which was never the claim in the first place. It stands to reason that if you want a different measurement, then it should be created: I don't know why it falls on windjammer to "correct" his measurements by doing everybody's jobs for them and showing what they wish to be shown.

I'm not sure what this means. lol. But when windjammer showed me, the incredulity left my system.

Uh, it's to say that you're not in the party of the individual who posted it nor the one that seems to be getting so antsy over what was posted, so it should be viewed as more legitimate.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #698 on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:07 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2015, 02:19:59 AM by Sawx, King in the North »

Well what else needs to be said? A strawman was basically set up by saying "well this metric doesn't measure everything", which was never the claim in the first place. It stands to reason that if you want a different measurement, then it should be created: I don't know why it falls on windjammer to "correct" his measurements by doing everybody's jobs for them and showing what they wish to be shown.

It's certainly not a strawman. It's a legitimate argument that can take a quick fix - procedural votes should not be held equal to actual votes. That's all that I tried to say.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #699 on: March 06, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »

Alright, since the proper thread was locked before I could say my piece, let me say it here:

I believe that the attacks on Polnut from certain elements of Atlasia are completely unacceptable and unfounded. Before going on, I'd like to reiterate the point I made in the BK controversy: Atlasia is a game, not real life politics. Some posters, especially our older ones like BK and Polnut, have actual lives to live. They have jobs. They have houses. Hell, some even have girlfriends or boyfriends. Not all of us are kids who just started college and have nothing better to do with our lives than pretend we're Senators or presidents or whatever. It's easy to forget that there are actual, real life people with actual, real life issues that have more to do than idle on IRC all day and play video games.

Onto the next point: Part of the reason that this happens is because Cris and Windjammer's tracker hold procedural votes at the same weight as a final vote on the actual legislation itself. Our Senators do not distinguish a vote on an amendment with a bill. Out of the 16 of 25 votes Polnut has missed, nine have been votes on adopting amendments before the final bill or a re-adoption of sponsorship (not to mention that one of those votes was late). In five of those threads, he had substantial participation in debate (that is, something more than "I support this because X said so). That leaves four actual votes where he was actually inactive.

All in all, this reminds me of another controversy that I was personally involved in during the beginning of my career. You all remember the Northeast in September - Matt started dealing with some real life issues (that I won't get into because I trust him enough), and his activity dropped off a cliff. Naturally, the Labor aristocracy decided to seize the opportunity and tried to tie me to this problem of inactivity. However, anyone who works with me knows that I am usually a man of conciseness - unless I'm motivated (like I am now), I'll usually get my point across, and leave it at that. This was an obviously desperate dig at my activity, and windjammer's defense of it seems like a desperate attempt to defend a system that needed work.

Now, anyone who has dealt with me knows that I am a straight-shooter. Some have been relatively deserved , and others... well... have been misguided. I've even called out my most famous recruit because I felt like he was trying to hurt TPP and some of my goals. I'm still slightly sore from the way Bacon King has been treated, but at least he has legitimate inactivity concerns. Polnut, meanwhile, has managed to put a lot of thought into his debates and actually proven that he pays attention to Atlasia, which I don't believe should be criticized because he didn't participate or debate on four votes. I'd like to also demonstrate my disappointment with Griffin, and while I understand and sympathize with his instinct to defend his fellow party member, you gotta admit when your friends fyck up - especially when certain members of the Senate simply are there for the "aye" or "nay". I'm disappointed that windjammer has decided to defend his tracker that needed work as accurate, and I'm disappointed that Griffin is going along with it and defending it.

*Please, tell me *how* I have attacked Polnut on this forum. I just posted a score that was saying how many votes every senator has missed in February.
* I never said my tracker didn't need to be improved. I just don't understand the tantrum you and some friends launched. I mean, in order to measure activity, one of the first things to do is to determine how many votes were missed. I was going to post some other things, like how many amendments have been introduced etc.
* You want to talk about Bacon king. You're still angry by my AYE vote for his automatic impeachment trial? I don't regret it. He hasn't posted a LOA, he needed to be impeached. And considering how active he is, I was just right.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies