The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:32:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32
Author Topic: The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration  (Read 95313 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: April 11, 2015, 06:29:00 AM »

Well at least someone is reading it haha
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #726 on: April 11, 2015, 07:15:44 AM »

I try to read what I can Smiley
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #727 on: April 12, 2015, 03:34:57 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Senator Polnut to visit alternative pathway centre

Senator Polnut will tomorrow visit a centre in Albany NY that undertakes intervention therapies to avoid the entry of young or criminals with high probability of rehabilitation into prison. Senator Polnut will be visiting this centre as an example of what happens when you take promising people out of the prison system and enable them to build skills without being exposed to an environment that encourages returns in the future.

These centres and what they are trying to do, will be a hallmark of the reform agenda that Senator Polnut will be driving if re-elected.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #728 on: April 12, 2015, 09:25:46 PM »

REMARKS

Thanks so much for having me here this evening. Thanks to the staff and the residents of this facility.

I've been talking a bit, recently, about the need to take seriously the reforms we need to undertake in our prison system. In the review we did in the Senate, we brought together the available evidence, we opened up to public submissions and brought forward a set of, honestly, alarming findings and necessitated a set of proposed reforms, that are just as strong.

This is why I am in the Senate, this is why I am running again. To do the work, to address the real issues that both help and harm our communities. I will drive these reforms of our prison system. You can look online to see more detail, but these reforms will get people who shouldn't be in the prison system out, using facilities such as this, they will reduce the number of federal crimes for which prison sentences will automatically apply, we will do more to address the clear discrimination against people of colour and the poorer in the judicial system and perhaps most important of all. We will break the stranglehold of the prison industrial complex and ensure that no more in this country, will prisons be a growth industry. 

I am determined to return control of our prisons to the Government, both Federal and regional. We must work with the regions, not dictate to them. But this needs to happen and I need your vote to make it happen. These reforms will have significant effects on the quality of life of those who have found themselves in trouble, but one mistake doesn't have to ruin their lives and the lives of their families and often their communities.

We are heading into the final stretch of a long campaign. While this hasn't been my first, it will be my last. I said in the speech launching this campaign that you deserve better and you should demand better. The Senate is yours. You determine who has the right to serve, you make the call and it should be respected. I am out there, every single day and night, talking with you about the reforms we need to drive this country forward. I am presenting a clear set of policy priorities, so you know, if I am fortunate enough to earn your support and one final term in the Senate, what you're going to get. Prison reform, continuing environmental reform, ensuring that the best and brightest are able to get into and stay in college, not just the richest. Over the next few days I will be outlining my plans on family violence. My focus is delivering good public policy, effective government services and not, repeat, not wasting my time and energies on pointless arguments that are only designed to distract you from the lack of genuine policy debate and differentiation out there. On the upside, it's clearly helping create bipartisanship and new political relationships, so I suppose it's not all bad.

Thank you.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #729 on: April 14, 2015, 06:16:19 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Senator Polnut to announce youth unemployment initiative

Senator Polnut will tomorrow announce his intention to deliver a set of initiatives to aggressively combat unemployment in people under 25.

"This is a situation that can create life-long disadvantages, we need to do much more. However, this is not just something that government can fix, but we can create effective partnerships and help get more young people into work that build skills for the future"
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #730 on: April 14, 2015, 08:51:13 PM »

Ivy Tech Community College, Terre Haute IN

Hello everyone,

I want to thank you for coming out this tonight.  For all of us, evenings are a precious thing, so I really appreciate it, especially since you didn't get a lot of warning.

There are some things I want to say about the big questions facing us as we head toward the election this weekend, but I want to talk about what I see as one of our big crises, youth unemployment. As we know, our unemployment rate remains an issue. Efforts to arrest unemployment have borne some fruit. We should celebrate that, as more people are able to get the reward and feel the dignity of a good days work. One group that are continuing to struggle to enter the job market are young people. Our youth unemployment rate is alarmingly high and that creates knock on effects for them and for the community.

Tonight, I want to talk about my plan to create greater opportunities for young people to get into the job market and stay there. This effort must be broad in scope and cannot rely on Government alone to do it. This must be a national partnership, between the Federal and regional governments and private industry. The enthusiasm, creativity and energy of our young people should be harnessed not dismissed. In the same way that the knowledge, experience and wisdom of older Atlasians should be embraced.

This plan will build on existing legislation, including those to increase support to those in trades and the radical overhaul of University funding that I presented, earlier this term. This plan is not focused on making the unemployed, employed but also making them more employable for the long-term. The plan will create a national apprentice program to enable those want to work in a trade, to find masters who wish to train and employ them. It will direct subsidies to those small businesses that take on younger workers and build their skills. It will create opportunities for people to study and train in their chosen fields without fearing crippling personal debt. But this will not be a one-way street. Taking on a young person and helping them develop is not just a way for businesses to get subsidised labour. There will be expectations and accountability, businesses will be expected to take these young people on for a set period of time. Those engaged under elements of this plan will be protected from unfair workplace activity. This is not an internship program, these people will be employees and be entitled to all reasonable protections and processes. If this partnership is to work, it needs to be based on honesty and mutual obligation.

There's a lot of scuttlebutt going on around here, we're a few days out from the start of what will be a very hotly contested election. As expected, there are some loud voices out there. That's politics and that's democracy. But pitch, volume, tone and length should not be confused for fact. I am running with a clear set of policies, I have never pulled the wool over the Atlasian people's eyes and I assure this is not starting in my final campaign. Very few running can outline their policy victories, I'm pretty sure some take defeat as some kind of badge of honour, fewer still are outlining what they will do with the seats that you have given. As someone who has spent years working on good progressive and practical policy, designed to help as many Atlasians as possible, one thing I have learned is that you need to take the people with you. As a politician, if I present a policy reform to you, and it fails, I'm  not going to rage and make threats, because guess what? The fault doesn't lie with you for disagreeing with me, it lies with me because I didn't make the case to you.

This election will tight, make no mistake, and the closer we get to the end, the louder the voices will become, the more extreme the charges will become and it seems the political partnerships will become weirder and weirder. But I promise you, I am running with goals based squarely in good policy. The reforms to our prisons will be a massive overhaul, we are transitioning to the largest reforms to our universities in decades and we still need to do work to improve our environmental and economic outcomes. I need your help and your support this weekend. Again, if you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you all. 
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #731 on: April 16, 2015, 06:14:04 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Final campaign stretch

Senator Polnut will later this morning start the final campaign trip of his final campaign. It was commence in Richmond VA and end on Sunday afternoon in Boston. Along the way he will visit Virginia, the District, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Today's events will include visiting the College of William and Mary and a tour of the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, where he will announce his renewed environmental policy.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #732 on: April 17, 2015, 12:30:45 AM »

Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge - Nr Cambridge MD

I'm here on the edge of the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. This is just one of many across the country that provide safe-havens for threatened and vulnerable species and to maintain our country's unique biodiversity.

One of my first acts on being re-elected was to put in place new aggressive regulations to be boost and protect our natural environment. This Bill included more funding to the regions to address their unique challenges when it comes to protecting their environment, whether through the removal of pest species or the re-introduction of vulnerable native species. This matters, it is not a ‘latte-drinker’s’ issue as it’s so often called. We live on a planet that is vulnerable and based on a fine balance, with species needed for the continuation of others. Sure, bees are a great way to ruin a picnic but without them our plant-life, including agricultural crops are in serious jeopardy. This measure is designed to do what we can to limit the damage.

This was also the week when we learned that the last male black rhino in the wild is being watched around the clock by armed guards. This is what we have come to. Black market hunger for so-called alternative remedies has destroyed one sub-species of rhino, at least one tiger species and the rest. This is wrong and considering the rhino-horn lie is not based on even ancient Chinese medicine but a snake-oil salesman from the 1960s, it even more pointless.

My Bill placed significant penalties on those who imported for personal use or sale, the products or by-products of threatened or endangered species. This country is a high-level importer of these products and we will do whatever we need to, to stop the senseless and pointless slaughter.

But what the future? Our environmental challenge is great and I thank Senator Blair for talking about our issues when it comes to our environment. We need to not just deal with averting the worst impacts of climate change, but dealing with the impacts we cannot avoid. This is a cold-hard reality, but we will be impacted and we need to protect vital infrastructure. Therefore, if re-elected, I will work to develop a national plan to protect vulnerable infrastructure from the risks of climate change. These include stronger winter and summer storms, the impacts of greater and more prolonged heat-waves. This recognises a practical issue that goes beyond just the environment. It speaks to our ability to continue to develop and for people to simply move around and live with a greater degree of security and comfort.

The election is pretty much upon us. I take absolutely nothing for granted. There are strong forces out there who are fighting tooth and nail and I expect and expected nothing less. This campaign has been driven by a clear set of policies that I wish to work on with colleagues in the Senate, regardless of their party or ideology. I am talking about national issues that require national solutions. All of us who serve in the Senate should be driven by a passionate desire to serve you and sometimes that means difficult decisions. We’ve seen a lot of angst recently in the Senate, some pretty unfortunate behaviour, threats, name-calling and deliberate misrepresentation. But I am running with these policies so you know what you’re getting. I can’t win this election by force of numbers; I am running to win by the force of what I am offering and what I have delivered.

I need your help and your vote.  Thank you!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #733 on: April 17, 2015, 09:09:33 AM »

I used to have campaign theme, quite a few campaigns ago. I thank Mr Poirot for bringing them back.

But, thinking on this final campaign... what have I been listening to, to power through?

So, everyone, my unofficial campaign theme ... Come For Me.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #734 on: April 17, 2015, 11:47:50 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2015, 01:17:50 AM by Senator Polnut »

Thank you for your support Mr Vice President.

And thank you all for such a vote of confidence. But this election is not over by any means. My message to those who want to send the message that policy matters and that the people are to whom we owe our first loyalty - keep voting and I am asking humbly for your support. Preferences will determine this election and I urge you to consider them carefully.

But regardless of who earns your support, please vote!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #735 on: April 19, 2015, 05:04:43 AM »

Everyone - if you haven't voted yet, regardless of who you support please vote!

There are nearly 100 people who could vote and the dynamics of this race could change - preferences will decide this election.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #736 on: April 20, 2015, 01:49:18 AM »

I am honoured and incredibly humbled by this result. I will say more later, but thank you all and I promise I will not let you down.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #737 on: April 20, 2015, 01:57:29 AM »

Congratulations, Senator Polnut! Smiley
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #738 on: April 20, 2015, 02:01:06 AM »

Congrats, Jack!
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #739 on: April 20, 2015, 03:00:10 AM »

Congrats, brother.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #740 on: April 20, 2015, 07:17:23 AM »

Congratulations on your re-election!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #741 on: April 20, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »

Congrats, The People's Voices' were heard loud and clear this weekend!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #742 on: April 20, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen,

The votes this weekend, that I received from across the political spectrum, speak to a broader issue. We have allowed ourselves and our Government become the toy of a few. As I said, a Senate seat is not he property of one party, or an individual, it's yours. When I launched this final campaign in Chicago I said we need to demand more from our political class. I believe this result speaks to that desire.

I outlined a clear set of priorities on areas from education, environmental reforms, a massive overhaul of our prisons, and more. I will not leave the Senate without progress being made. Your support for me, is a support of this agenda and it is an expectation that I will deliver what you expect in the spirit in which it was offered.

I return to the Senate for one final term, my final elected office, with fresh determination. I will work with whomever I need to, I will reach across party and ideological lines. I will seek consensus, but make no mistake, I will not surrender progress for the sake of ease, I will fight for what I believe in and to fulfill the promises I have made to you.

I send my congratulations to those who were successful this weekend and my best wishes to those were not. I also want to note the leadership and tireless workers of my campaign and the party. Thank you, words cannot express it.

But today, the work goes on and I will start this next and final term full of hope but driven by the endorsement you have given me.

Thank you, Dave bless.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #743 on: April 20, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »

Well done on coming 1st, you ran a really good campaign Smiley
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #744 on: April 20, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »

Coming first shows how good of a campaign you had Polnut.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #745 on: April 20, 2015, 12:47:43 PM »

Congrats!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #746 on: April 28, 2015, 07:22:04 PM »

Vote YES for true reform.

This evening I endorsed the proposal to see at-large Senate seats replaced with districts. This has multiple benefits.

* It forces parties to focus on regional strength and organisation at the local level, not just the national.
* It gives voters more local representatives and therefore greater recognition of the importance of constituent needs.
* It will create new debate, new alliances and hopefully greater productive activity.
* Most importantly of all, this will end the stagnation of at-large races.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #747 on: April 29, 2015, 09:40:52 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2015, 09:46:41 PM by Senator Polnut »

PRESS RELEASE

Justice Reform

Senator Polnut tonight released the first of a number of Bills relating to the reform of prisons and our system of justice. He pledged that if re-elected this issue would be a key priority for him.

Justice Reform Bill 1 2015 - will deal with the need to bring all Federal institutions of criminal detention under the full control of the Federal Government. The need to end the commercialisation of incarceration is was a key finding of the Senate's work on this issue. While the aggressive nature of some measures may concern some, Senator Polnut believes that they are necessary reforms, with social, cultural and economic benefits.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Three more Bills will be presented over the coming days.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #748 on: May 10, 2015, 06:54:15 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2015, 07:20:07 AM by Senator Polnut »

PRESS RELEASE

Protecting infrastructure

Senator Polnut tonight released a Bill to be presented for Senate consideration designed to not only protect Federal infrastructure from the impacts of climate change, but to assist the regions to undertake their own necessary projects. He identified this as a key issue during the campaign and he intends to see this issue addressed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senator Polnut will be visiting Florida and Louisiana next week to see a number of areas where high levels of climate risk have been identified.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #749 on: May 26, 2015, 05:34:15 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

the Next President and other issues

Senator Polnut tonight made the following statement.

I am supporting President Bore for another term. He has shown the exact qualities that led me to support him before his election, reasonableness, a calm nature and a desire to see pragmatic outcomes, not opportunities to grandstand and claim ideological purity.

But I am alarmed by a lack of competition, so I urge those who are interested to thrown their hat in the ring. Our democracy is only as strong as the competition it engenders. I fully support the President, but we need a true competition.

As my political career heads toward its end, I will be visiting areas that mean a lot to me, and I will be speaking about those issues about which I care the most. I've long been accused by the more drama-seeking among us of being a moderate for the sake of moderation. True, I don't believe in melodrama as a form of political discourse, but there are a number of issues where I believe we have fallen down and I will be talking about what I intend to do not just in my remaining time in the Senate, but once I have left.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies