The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:25:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 32
Author Topic: The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration  (Read 95401 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »
« edited: June 30, 2011, 02:34:17 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Each time there was a screw up, it was the result of the PPT neglecting to announce it via the traditional thread.

The most recent screwup was actually a screw up some month's ago in which the Governors jumped the gun and tried to ratify an amendment before the Senate had passed it, and then once the Senate had re-passed it, no announcement was made. In fact, re-ratification may or may not be necessary. I suggest a review of the relevant constitutional clauses regarding amendments.

Edit: Language is somewhat loose, but I probably lean towards thinking it is necessary.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2011, 09:07:41 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2011, 10:15:03 AM by President-elect Polnut »

Important things to consider, I will look into it.

THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT-ELECT

Seattle, Washington

Inauguration activities

The President-elect has arrived in Nyman in preparation for the Inauguration tomorrow.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2011, 10:25:33 AM by President Polnut »

My fellow Atlasians,

I am honoured to have just taken the oath of office. The privilege you have given and the trust you have placed in me is something I hold deeply to my heart.

I want to thank President Tmth, Vice President Dallas and the Cabinet for their service and for their assistance during this very brief transition.

This country is dealing with a number of very difficult challenges, an economy that is weaker than it should be, a lack of engagement with the wider world, a disengaged population and a Government that works better for you.

I have outlined a range of measures to help renew our economy. We will cut wasteful spending, we will make sure that subsides do not end up boosting profits but we will also do so while protecting our economy from a double-dip recession. Some difficult decisions need to be made, but once we have endured the difficult night, a new dawn will await us.

I want to speak to the wider world now, Atlasia has been on odd player on the world stage, but I say this to you all now. Atlasia is ready to take its place among the community of nations. We will be a messenger of good will and an advocate for our values. We are dealing with deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq, this administration will lay the groundwork to see our exit from those conflicts.

Many on my side of politics have a great unease when it comes to the advocacy of certain political values. But imposition and advocacy are clear different things. I will never waver in defending those who want to guarantee what all Atlasians believe are our most precious rights, most important of all, the right of self-determination. But we cannot impose the values of liberal democracy on anyone without consequences.

Many forget the often bloody and fraught evolution that our Democracies undertook to get where we are today. Many look on the Arab Spring with cautious optimism, but often that optimism is conditional. We cannot deny those who want democracy the same processes that ours have had.

But now, the role of Atlasia I believe is to support and advocate, not to impose through military might, but I assure our friends and allies that if called upon in the defense of those values, Atlasia will be there.

I have established the Presidential Game Reform Panel. The purpose of this Panel is to explore, in a holistic fashion, almost all systems of Atlasian government and governance to see where changes can be made to help make this country work better. I also will create a specific domestic policy committee which will be Chaired by the Vice President, is it just one way in which I want to expand the role of the Vice Presidency in a truly meaningful way.

So ladies and gentlemen, the work we have to do together is great, but equally we are granted, through that work, great opportunities. This is not something that can be guided by one person, in order to renew our country, every single man and woman in this country has a role to play.

I believe we are ready for that challenge.

Thank you and may Dave bless Atlasia.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »

Mr President-elect,

I apologize for the inconvenience but I have you as having taken the oath at 10:14 am, Eastern Standard time, rather then Noon as specified in the Consitution of Atlasia. Therefore, I ask that for sake of avoiding any potential legal problems, that oath be retaken at the appropriate time.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »

Mr President-elect,

I apologize for the inconvenience but I have you as having taken the oath at 10:14 am, Eastern Standard time, rather then Noon as specified in the Consitution of Atlasia. Therefore, I ask that for sake of avoiding any potential legal problems, that oath be retaken at the appropriate time.

I was thinking the same thing.  I don't know if it's absolutely necessary, the Consitution does say terms will begin at Noon, without mentioning the Oath, but it's probably for the best if you re-post it. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2011, 11:22:22 AM »

Mr President-elect,

I was thinking the same thing.  I don't know if it's absolutely necessary, the Consitution does say terms will begin at Noon, without mentioning the Oath, but it's probably for the best if you re-post it. Smiley

When at risk of being hauled before Sam Spade er Ebowed I guess, better to be safe then sorry.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2011, 11:24:21 AM »

Mr President-elect,

When at risk of being hauled before Sam Spade er Ebowed I guess, better to be safe then sorry.

That's one risk I doubt anyone is willing to take! Grin
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »

Consider it re-taken
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2011, 06:31:12 AM »

The official White House thread can be found here...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=137599.0
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2011, 08:38:41 PM by President Polnut »

President Polnut's First Address to the Nation

My fellow Atlasians,

I have chosen to make my first address to you as President to discuss an issue which weighs heavily on this country and on me, as Commander-in-Chief, our military presence in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.

My personal views on the Iraq conflict are well documented. I never supported the deployment to a conflict that I believed we had no legal justification to engage in. Saddam Hussein was a blood-thirsty dictator, on that there is no confusion. However, my view is that once our young men and women are deployed in harms way, we must do all we can to ensure their safety, as well as their exit from the conflict as soon as conditions allow.

Therefore, after consultations with Military advisors, the External Affairs Department and our allies, including the Iraqi Government, Atlasia will bring home 50% of our current military deployment by February 2012, with more than half of those troops home by Christmas. In relation to the remaining forces, their status will be determined later in the year, once we have undertaken further responsible analyses of the situation on the ground.

Yesterday I returned from a conference of leaders involved in the Afghanistan conflict in Istanbul. What is clear is that death of Osama Bin-Laden created room for a reappraisal of the need for current troop numbers in Afghanistan. I supported our deployment in response to the 9/11 attacks as the Taliban Government of Afghanistan had aided and sheltered those who had engaged in that atrocity.  However, the strategy after the Iraq War started went significantly off-track. We need to be realistic about the situation in Afghanistan, the possibility of a peaceful settlement is certainly there. But the situation remains incredibly delicate, and the consequences of a return of Taliban rule especially for women and minorities cannot be underestimated. On the other side of that, we must examine whether or not, after nearly a decade of fighting, how much more we can achieve through direct conflict.

Atlasia will commence drawing down its forces in Afghanistan at the end of the current fighting season. We will have more than a quarter of our combat forces home by February 2012 – with plans in train to have almost half home by June 2012.

The other conflict is that currently underway is Libya, at my Inauguration I supported those engaged in the Arab Spring. But what I said then, remains now as I warn against expectations that the progress in these countries, most that have never known genuine Democracy, will be smooth or swift. Our democracies have had centuries to make mistakes and learn lessons, while we must guard against abuses, we cannot be their minders. We are liaising with the rebel Libyan administration in Benghazi and will work to support them in their goal of liberating Libya from 40 years of oppressive rule.  Our military involvement in Libya will remain, but not as an offensive force, but one there to defend civilians and civilian infrastructure in Benghazi. We will also be expanding our aid to the rebel forces, and also assisting them through logistical and intelligence support.

If we want the Arab Spring to work, we must make sure that we are there to encourage them to create their own destinies, the changes must be genuine and in order to maintain its credibility we must not fight their wars for them.  

However, as Commander-in-Chief I will always listen to the advice of my Military and foreign policy advisors.

Thank you and good night.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »

The Dallas Convention Centre
Dallas, Texas

Ladies and Gentlemen, I want to thank you for the invitation to be here with you today, also for allowing me to accept this invitation so late in your organisation for this forum. As you can understand being a new President, I have a lot of people who want to meet with me, and who I want to meet with. My schedule over the last few weeks has been hectic to say the least.

I want to speak to this gathering of Atlasia’s small business people about an issue that I know is of great concern for you and, indeed, for all Atlasians, our economy and how we can make it stronger and more vital. Our deficit is slowly receding, but we until we can direct funds to pay down our debt, the bill we owe will continue to grow, which means we must act now.

During the campaign I made clear that in order to address the Government’s debt and deficit issues, we need a two-pronged effort. We need to reduce our expenditure in the first instance. So far, I sent instructions out to our Government departments to find economies, but not economies that lead to more people looking for work. My administration is looking at all Federal Government subsidy programs. Subsidies are not handouts they have a purpose, and if they don’t serve that purpose they will be ended immediately.

On Monday night I announced the plan for our military to leave Iraq and Afghanistan over the next couple of years, and to re-focus the mission in Libya to a civilian defense force. These measures, while being based on military advice are also enabling future budgets to not have to deal with great economic weight of those deployments.

The second factor in my economic recovery plan is a serious re-examination of our taxation system. The first thing I want to announce here today is that I will be working to reduce the corporate tax rate on those businesses with annual incomes of less than $500,000. It is our small businesses who have suffered most during these difficult times, and we need to encourage you to get hiring, and put your businesses on the sound financial footing, the bedrock of our employment sector deserves. To put it simply, we need more small business jobs and I believe this is the way we can do it.

We will not increase corporate tax rates at the higher end, but we will cut the loopholes to ensure that the big end of town pays the full amount that they should, because in the end, businesses are part of the community too and should pay their fair share of tax.

Alongside that, we will re-organise personal income tax rates and brackets – there will be a detailed announcement shortly, but we will reduce the income tax rate for those who earn less than $35,000 per year – there will be small increases to higher-brackets, these are difficult times and they call for difficult actions. However, we will also expand the brackets to allow people to earn much more, before they need to pay a higher level of tax.

Now, I know that some on the other side politics believe that the panacea for economic problems is to cut government spending, while at the same time, cutting taxes. My plan cuts spending and my plan cuts taxes. But I believe that the tax cuts I am proposing, which are offset throughout the taxation system, are strategic and right for our economic conditions.

At a time when we still have $12trillion in national debt, we cannot afford broad-scale tax cuts – we need to be smart and I believe focusing corporate tax cuts at small business is the smart thing to do and personal tax cuts at low-income workers is the fair thing to do.

With difficult times, come difficult choices, we do not have the luxury to do what we want to do, based on political or ideological allegiance – as President, I have a responsibility to every single man, woman and child in this country. Therefore I must advocate for what we have to do to. We either have to make some difficult choices now which will result in largely temporary pain for greater payoff down the track – or we face a future which will be very different from now. 

We need a strong small business sector and I believe these measures will help bring this about, but it cannot work without your help.

Thank you all and my best wishes for a successful forum. 
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2011, 09:23:59 PM »

Mr. President, are you aware that if current trends hold, within ten ["budget updates," I'm going to guess Marokai means months] the budget will be balanced?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »

Mr. President, are you aware that if current trends hold, within ten ["budget updates," I'm going to guess Marokai means months] the budget will be balanced?

It's not just about balancing the budget as it stands - there's 12 trillion in debt, which is my chief concern.

We need to get the deficit down slightly faster, so we can direct more towards paying down the debt.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2011, 09:43:37 PM »

Question From the Atlasian Sentinel:

Are there any other areas of government your administration is looking to cut, such as transportation, social security, and perhaps spending cuts within government administration?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2011, 09:51:56 PM »

Question From the Atlasian Sentinel:

Are there any other areas of government your administration is looking to cut, such as transportation, social security, and perhaps spending cuts within government administration?

I sent out instructions to government departments to find economies, to a large extent, each department will determine their own cuts - but I did make clear that they could not impact on front-line service-delivery or lead to mass lay-offs which will lead to greater pressure on unemployment services.

I have suggested public-service pay-freezes, consolidation of staff in central locations, the sale of unused buildings, the cancellation of leases on unused buildings, a freeze on recruitment. The SoIA will report back to me on specific cut proposals so until they're presented to me I can't make any specific announcements.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »

The Sheraton Hotel and Towers
Chicago, Illinois

The President's remarks to the ASPCA fundraising dinner

Ladies and gentlemen,

Thank you so much for the invitation to speak with you all today at this very important event.

The ASPCA has a proud history of advocating for the humane treatment of all creatures great and small,  bringing light and hope into the lives of animals who want nothing more than to be loved and cared for, and the opportunity to return that unconditional love that we have experienced from our pets, and I hope this will continue for many many years to come.

I have a long been an advocate for greater protections for those animals with whom we share this planet. I had planned some issues later in this term, but the current Bill to guard against canine abuses has sparked me to start a broader dialogue.

I believe the issues around animal abuse are too important to allow our political discussions to be distracted by sensationalism.

I do support the intent behind the Bill to stop the availability of dog meat – we must make it so commercially and economically unattractive that it becomes more of a non-issue than it already is.

However, I want to address my firm views on animal cruelty and the law.

Like all of you here, I have heard horrific stories of people abusing helpless animals. People kicking kittens onto railway tracks, chopping the nose, leg and ear off a puppy, setting a cat on fire… as far as I’m concerned abuse of the helpless is to me one of the lowest acts you perform and if there’s a hell, there is a special place reserved for all who commit such foul and disgusting crimes.

However, very often, the legal response to these crimes is ‘well, it was just a cat or dog, or horse’. People who are charged and found guilty of crimes of animal abuse end up with mere slaps on the wrist. But what does that say about us as a community, that we don’t consider the willful torture of an animal to be a serious enough crime to warrant serious punishment?

Now  a lot of people who consider these issues to be unimportant, think of them to be issues of people who throw red paint, who live on tofu, and worry more about plants and animals while humans suffer. This is not true, I believe people have room for compassion for both people who are need of help and to prevent cruelty and abuse against animals.

I personally believe that this extends to all animals including those we use for food and other goods. Those animals may not have a full-life, and I’m sure many here would rather that we didn’t use animals for anything, but if they are to have that end, it should be done with the utmost respect for that animal.

I believe these issues require a lot of work from all of us who believe that animals are not tools placed on this planet to use as we please, but creatures who feel as much as we do, and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, even if it is to end their lives.

You have my best wishes for a successful conference, and in me you will always have an ally.

Thank you all.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »

President Polnut's Address to the Nation

My fellow Atlasians,

There comes a time in every president’s first term when they must make the decision whether or not they will seek the endorsement of the people to continue their work.

As the October election draws closer I have spent considerable time asking myself many questions.

Recently, I have felt that my ability to bring about important policies has been ineffective.

I came in to this office in July to bring about pragmatic progressive change in Atlasia.

So far I have created the Presidential Game Reform Panel, the final report of which will contain concrete plans that will inform the reform agenda in this country for years to come; I have fulfilled my Inauguration promise to have a plan in place to get our troops out of Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan and doing so to make sure that we leave in the right way.

Very soon a Bill will put before the Senate to reduce the tax burden on small businesses to increase their confidence and get them hiring again. Through diligence, determination and some difficult choices we are getting our economy back on the path to prosperity.
I believe in practical and pragmatic solutions to problems.

I know that I have disappointed some on the left, because I did not do what they felt I should do, or in the way I did it. I have worked very hard to do what I felt was the right thing to do, sometimes that upsets people, I’m sorry for disappointing some, but I do not apologise for doing the right thing for the country.

I still have plans for the rest of this term, such as sterner punishments for those who abuse animals, a student-loan forgiveness scheme, among other policies.

However, due to pressures both internal and external, I have determined that I will not seek and will not accept the nomination of my party, nor any other, to serve another term as your president.

This decision has been taken carefully, while I believe I would win in October, the right of the Atlasian people to have an active and effective president outweighs the pride or ego of one person.

To my supporters from across the political spectrum, that support has meant so much to me, the faith you placed in me in record proportions has not been discounted in my decision.

I want to thank Vice President Bacon King and all current and former members of my Cabinet for their service and dedication to their country.

The Atlasian progressive movement must continue, we must hold true to our ideals, but equally we cannot be governed by them in the face of effective compromise. We cannot allow stubborn self-righteousness to taint this movement. We must be inclusive, we must be prepared to work with those with whom we disagree and we must remember that when we work with progressive ideals in mind, we are doing so because we believe in them and what they can do for all. 

When I leave office at the end of my term, I intend this to be the last elected office I will hold in Atlasia.

While this is a sad time in many ways, it has been a great honour to serve as your president, but this is a great opportunity for people who really want to make a difference to the lives of the Atlasian people to stand up.

Thank you and may Dave bless.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »

I would have voted for you beyond a doubt :*(
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »

You are one of the few people in the JCP who still believes in doing the right thing, not bowing to party pressure. You were honest and likable and very frank. I would've voted for you without a second thought, and it saddens me to see you decline to run again, and worries me where the future of Atlasia is going.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »

Despite running myself, I already said I completely approve your performance and I wouldn't mean you certainly kicking my ass during election.

I know you made your decision, but you should reconsider this and return. There's really no reason for Atlasia to lose you.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »

Well, this certainly shakes things up. I think your presidency has been one of the more level-headed administrations in some time, and I'm sorry to see you go.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »

Oh man I was looking forward to voting for you again. I hope you reconsider. You have been an excellent President.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »

Reconsider!!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2011, 01:35:49 AM »

I have respect for this administration with its reasonable, pragmatic and calm way of governing. Therefore, it's a pity Polnut won't run for re-election.

A President must take a different approach to an issue than a Senator, a President shouldn't be as partisan as ordinary party members and legislators. Thus, conflicts between the President and the President's party are always possible, sometimes unavoidable. Clearly, members of a party should understand that their President has a different role to play and can't serve as one who merely fulfills the wishes of his party.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2011, 05:05:01 AM »

As I said, I regret your decision but perfectly understand it. I'd hope you'd change your mind, but that probably won't happen. Good luck in whatever will be your activity in Atlasia now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies