The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:00:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 32
Author Topic: The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration  (Read 95566 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 07, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »

I was asked a question in a PM about my view on overseas military engagement - they've consented to me responding here.

When I was elected president, my first policy announcement was a wind-down and withdrawal from our theatres of war, Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya. It was a difficult negotiation to get right, but in the end we got our troops home.

My policy was to have 25% of our overseas military bases closed and to reduce our overall military footprint. The Budget I originally proposed in the last months of my term, linked military aid to human rights and other humanitarian outcomes.

As Secretary of External Affairs, I advocated for a shift away from military threat and towards cooperation and diplomacy. I stressed the importance of cool heads prevailing during the tensions with North Korea when a vast majority wanted to grant the president the authority to use force, even when it was not sought. Cool heads won the day and thank God for that.

I believe my record of foreign and defense policy is clear and while I do not believe in passivity at all costs and objected to naive views that we would only get into military entanglements if we brought them on, my commitment to strengthening our alliances and working through channels peace can be in no doubt.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #451 on: August 07, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »

I don't know if I've this already, but endorsed for second preference!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #452 on: August 08, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »

Emory University, Atlanta GA

Thank you all for coming this evening...

As this is my first formal re-election event, I wanted to specifically address an issue that I feel was important enough to warrant my first legislative proposal.

When I was serving as Secretary of External Affairs, I was recorded making some comments about the passage of a law in Russia about what was termed the promotion of homosexuality. By that, they don't mean the laws that exist in some places about homosexual activities, but merely being gay, by saying anything positive about gay people and by simply being supportive of basic rights for gay people.

I referred to my comments as being 'impolitic' but I did not back away from them. This is a repulsive law, a law seeks to shift the public attention away from internal problems, to an innocent scapegoat. Let me make this clear, gays and lesbians are being targeted because they can be, not for any justified reason.

Of course, this law was passed well after Russia was given the honour of hosting the Sochi Olympic Winter Games in February next year. I strongly suspect that if this law had been on the books, they would not have been given the right to host the games. We have already seen petitions to boycott the games in response. Now, I haven't come to that conclusion yet myself, but it is clear this has caused significant and rightful horror across the world. Despite some half-hearted assurances from organisers, the fact is the Russian Government has made clear that athletes, officials and foreign visitors will be subject to this law.

The Bill I have submitted for consideration is this, it will provide funding to any Atlasian athlete who feels they cannot compete in Sochi, due to ethical reasons, or for reasons of personal safety and security. It should not be forgotten that the Russian law was passed at a time when assaults on gays and lesbians, or people who might be, are at all-time high, this law gives moral cover to these thugs and therefore I understand why an LGBTI athlete would not feel safe in Russia. I believe our government should be ensuring that they will not suffer financial hardship due to this reasonable decision to not attend.

My Bill will also officially protest to the Russian Government the nature of this law and that it is the expectation of the Atlasian Government, and increasingly of other nations, that this law be amended to ensure that foreign nations are not to be arrested to prosecuted under the cover of this law and that Russian officials do everything possible to guarantee the security of ALL foreign nationals in their country.

The Olympics are meant to be a symbol of international unity, that does not care for your race, religion, ethnicity, gender or your sexuality. Holding these games are an honour, I hope the Russian Government recognises that for its own sake at the very least, before it's too late.

Thank you all! 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #453 on: August 09, 2013, 11:44:28 PM »

Endorsed. Youre not a freak, but some caution and open-mindedness is good. Props.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #454 on: August 10, 2013, 01:27:03 AM »

I commend your response to Russia's archaic new anti-gay law- the only response to this I have seen from an Atlasian Senator- and I wholeheartedly endorse you for first preference!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #455 on: August 12, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #456 on: August 12, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »

Thank you all for your support, I have an uphill climb for re-election and I'll need as much support as possible Smiley
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #457 on: August 12, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »

I'd urge you all to read the Bills I've submitted on the issues of sex education and national education advancement.

These are important issues and we need serious plans to address them not ideological and political warfare.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: August 12, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »

Washington Square Park, New York City

Thank you ladies and gentlemen,

I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to come and have a discussion about what I see as a fundamental challenge facing all of us who deal with making public policy.

One part is making good policy, working towards doing the right thing by those who send you to the Senate, the White House, the Assemblies and governor's mansions. The other half is how you make it happen.

My view has been that we have a responsibility  to make sure the services and not just sufficient and make us feel good about having put them in place, but world-class and sustainable for the future. Whenever a new policy is in front of me I don't react, well, sometimes I do... but then I take a step back and ask myself three questions. The first is 'what is this designed to do?'   The second is 'do I think it can do what it wants?' and finally, and potentially as importantly, 'how much will it cost and are those costs sustainable?'.

I hear from my own side of politics that that final question isn't important, or is of least importance. I fundamentally disagree. If we put ourselves into deeper and deeper debt to fund something, or put increasing pressure on our tax base, it is, fundamentally unsustainable, then we get all of the other negative impacts of high-debt economies, less flexibility at times of need, higher unemployment, unstable inflation  and a collapse of business and consumer confidence.

From the other side of politics, I hear that that is only consideration. If it costs a lot, it must be terrible, the market can surely do it better, let's move on. Again, I disagree.

As president, myself and my successors in that office have worked hard to restore our financial balance. We all looked across spending and revenues, we made a series of adjustments and we were back in surplus a year or even two ahead of schedule. But that happened because we didn't just react. We realised our obligations and our responsibilities, we made difficult calls and worked across party lines in the Senate to get our financial house in order again.

We have some potentially expensive Bills before us and waiting for us in the Senate. Each time, I ask myself those three questions. Now, I don't believe the answer is to always cut spending, equally, I think the answer of taxing the rich isn't always a legitimate option and has decreasing returns. But we should look at better utilising our tax system, we should be eliminating loop-holes to ensure people pay their fair share. But I do believe that beyond a certain point high-taxation can be a disincentive to economic activity. So we need to use what we have better, not be afraid to raise more if we need it, but it should not be our first response to economic needs.

Our Budget is on a fine-line, we have many decisions ahead of us, and we need people in the Senate who will look carefully at all the impacts, social as well as economic and use judgement and common-sense. Sometimes, that means I cannot support things I'd like to see. I will do everything I can to get a workable compromise. But I give you this pledge, my work is about you and the well-being of our nation. Whether that's in our relationships with allies and others around the world, or working with my colleagues to continue to strengthen our nation with better education and social cohesion or, when it comes to ensuring our economic vitality and dynamism.

Thank you all!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2013, 08:42:04 PM »

Lincoln Park, Chicago IL

Thank you for being here today...

I want to take this opportunity to touch on a very difficult and complex issue and that is our justice system, in particular, how we approach punishment.

I'll lay it on the line, private prisons are a travesty, our criminal justice system is too focused on locking people up and throwing away the key. With more people in prison, the prison industrial complex becomes more and more wealthy. And the price we pay as a community is measured in more than mere dollar terms.

Now, I'm not suggesting that imprisonment is not necessary element of our justice system, because it is. But we have staggeringly high rates of imprisonment, but our country's crime rate has been dropping, at the same time as our rate of incarceration rises.

This is a fundamental disconnect. There is no other conclusion to draw that we are sending people to prison who do not belong there. We need to look more to rehabilitation and other forms of punishment.

To many, this might not be particularly attractive. There is too often a desire to see punitive punishment over just penalties. The fact remains that a person who commits a low-level victimless crime that is sent to prison, is much more likely to re-offend than a person who is given house-arrest or some other kind of treatment. There's reason why prisons are called Universities of Crime. We are sending people to prison not because of the diseased mind or evil heart, but because of often juvenile stupidity and inexperience.

The other element that cannot be forgotten is that the racial disparity is clear. A 10 year old black child today has a 32% chance of being incarcerated at his life, this is nearly ten-times that of white child. This is not because African-Atlasians are committing so many more crimes, it is because they are often poor and cannot access the best legal protections that many more affluent and, frankly, whiter people can. Custodial sentences for African-Atlasians are markedly longer and in worse conditions.

This is not a problem with an easy fix. It is institutional, it is cultural and it is embedded. But because a single Bill cannot wipe this problem away does not mean we should be serious about addressing it. We need a comprehensive approach that involves education, promoting better social cohesion, cooperation across all levels of government and making clear to those who run the prison industrial complex that we will no longer be supporting practices that serve only your bottom line and not community as whole.

I look forward to this important discussion and welcome my colleagues and my friends across government to it.

Thank you! 
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #460 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »

Senator Polnut will be making an announcement in approximately 3 hours.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #461 on: August 20, 2013, 11:50:58 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2013, 11:55:42 PM by Senator Polnut »

Statement

Over the past few days I have been faced with new RL demands for my time, energy and attention. I have had to make a call as to whether or not it is responsible to continue in my campaign if I cannot be as active as possible. When faced with a similar circumstance during my first term as President, I put the interests of the country ahead whatever personal gain I might receive from re-election.

I have made that decision again, and it was just as hard. I have decided to withdraw myself from the at-large Senate race.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #462 on: August 20, 2013, 11:53:08 PM »

Sad Sad Sad
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #463 on: August 21, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »

Speaking from experience, you did the right thing, though you will definitely be missed.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #464 on: August 21, 2013, 03:34:30 PM »

RIP Polnut. Welcome to the retirees club once again. The water is nice. Wink
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #465 on: August 21, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »

Thank you for your service the last month in the Senate. I hope this isn't the last we see of you in elected office. Wink
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #466 on: August 21, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »

Well, I was afraid of that, and it's the Senate's loss. You've been an excellent left-of-center voice, Polnut, and I tend to regard your opinion highly.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #467 on: September 10, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2014, 06:57:38 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

PRESS RELEASE

Former President and Senator Polnut released this statement this evening.

After a lot of reflection, looking back on what I've achieved in Atlasian politics, what I feel I have delivered but also what I could have done better, I have come to this conclusion about my future.

You need to have a drive, a desire and the patience for this particular life. After seven years, albeit on and off, I don't have the desire, drive or patience any more. You have to know when your time in this place not only should, but needs to come to an end. For me, that time is now.

I know I have made similar statements in the past, but I look at this like a relationship. When there's still emotion attached, there's a still a chance of reconciliation, but when you can look on a situation and reflect objectively and dispassionately, it really is over.

I want to thank all of those who have supported me in the past, even those who might not now, it's been a rough journey at times, but those difficult times have been boosted by those people.

While I have no right to, I'm going to pass on some advice to my friends and colleagues who have been around a long time. Atlasia doesn't survive without renewal, without that, Atlasia will die.

Thank you all again.

Oh, and if I ever get kicked by a mule and consider coming back... please get it to kick me again.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #468 on: September 11, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »

Its been an enjoyable and challenging time to spar politically with you.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #469 on: October 16, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2013, 07:17:41 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

PRESS RELEASE

Former President and Senator Polnut released this statement this evening.

As a former president, I feel a tremendous responsibility when I make a call of whom I support and who I will vote for. I put the country ahead of whatever political organisation I may be a part of.

I have spent a good few weeks working through who I think that the plan, the experience and the leadership abilities that I want to see from the next president. I want to acknowledge the service of President Nix, it's a job with great honour but also tremendous frustrations. He has had to make some difficult decisions and I supported him in those efforts.

I will be putting my support behind my friend, former Vice President Duke. He has shown a strong desire to engage Atlasians in a discussion about the future, he wants to unite Atlasia behind him, it's not an easy task, but my enthusiasm for that endeavor is clear.

But, there is a caveat on this, I hope to see Duke lead, to be prepared to take unpopular stances and decisions. Popularity is great, but I believe leadership is about being prepared to lose, to do what you feel is right. There is a time of potentially great change coming, and want can't afford to have a Chairman of the Board, we need a strong president. I believe Duke can do it and I believe he has the plan to it.

I want finally, make a note on the other candidates, including the tickets either endorsed by or having come from my party. All of you have a valuable contribution to make but like all citizens, I have made a call that I feel is the right one from my perspective.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #470 on: October 16, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

Former President and Senator Polnut congratulates Oakvale on his nomination by the President to the Supreme Court.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #471 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »

Just to let you know, two your former bills are on the floor and I would very much like to you see your presence felt during the debate on them.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #472 on: March 20, 2014, 12:35:29 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

President Polnut thanks the membership of The People's Party for their support in their decision to name him as Vice Chair of the party.

"This is a tremendous honour. I believe in the People and its core mission to advocate for an active and engaged citizenry. We all have a stake in our country and unless we create an environment where people are encouraged to engage, not just through voting, but through debate, then we will lose the best and brightest among us. I believe the future is bright."
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #473 on: March 20, 2014, 10:11:37 PM »

Indeed, I believe this is the start of a bright future for The Party and President Polnut.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: May 22, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »

The former President will be making a statement in the next few hours.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies