The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:44:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 32
Author Topic: The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration  (Read 95576 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: May 22, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »

፫᎒
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #476 on: May 23, 2014, 02:58:41 AM »

I can confirm that I am considering seeking my party's nomination for the at-large Senate election.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #477 on: May 23, 2014, 07:49:07 PM »

I endorse you.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #478 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:01 AM »

Endorsed
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #479 on: May 25, 2014, 06:20:02 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2014, 06:50:42 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

PRESS RELEASE

Former President and Senator Polnut will be making a full statement on his intentions in relation to his future plans in Boston on Tuesday evening.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #480 on: May 27, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »

I am today forming an exploratory committee to run for at-large Senate in August.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #481 on: June 24, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2014, 07:22:54 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park, Boston

My fellow Atlasians,

I am today announcing my intention to seek the nomination of my party and others to run for at-large Senate this August.

I have decided to run because this country can no longer afford a system of government that doesn't serve all, that is too ideologically driven and one that focuses all of its attention on a narrow band of concerns at the expense of larger national issues.

In recent times I have said that if I ran for anything again, it would be the equivalent of me getting kicked by a mule and losing my common sense. But I go into this with open eyes. Atlasia has changed since my time as President, in fact, since my time in the Senate. But I will make this pledge to every single Atlasian. I want to work to make Atlasia work again.

Winning elections is only the first step, good governance, not just winning and doing what you want, requires the ability to work across aisles and to find room for compromise and common ground. Some may call that moderate heroism, that's their prerogative, but I prefer to call it governing.

I want to work with my friends in the Labor Party to ensure all workers are protected and that we reduce our military presence across the globe, but I also want to work with others to make sure that our veterans are supported when they get home. I want to make sure that our Budget is sustainable into the future so that our strong safety net survives and is not the victim of possible cuts.

My record speaks for itself. As President I got our troops home, got protections for home-owners being forced out of their homes due to illegal and unethical banking practices, I introduced the first Federal Budget in years, I increased support to veterans and created the first specific veterans mental health program. I was accused of making a lot of speeches, but anyone who worked with me behind the scenes know how much I sought to work with them. In the Senate I made sure support for LGBTI athletes going to Sochi would be in place and that we took seriously the important work undertaken by carers.

I can get things done, I will work with whomever I need to to get them done... this is what the Atlasian Senate needs.

We need to protect and strengthen our national healthcare system, ensure that public education is not some kind of worst-case scenario for parents and continue our positive presence on the world stage. We need to reform our military for the modern age, make sure people earn a decent and equal wage for their labours and that our economy is not bogged down in the arguments of the past.

In the lead up to the election, I will be travelling this country and talking with as many of you as possible. I may be a member of the People's Party, but I am running to serve all.

Thank you.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #482 on: June 27, 2014, 09:32:26 PM »

Waterfront Park, Charleston SC

Good evening everyone!

I want to thank you for coming out on a Friday night. This is a difficult time in Atlasia, we need to figure out what we need to do to make sure our Government serves all, not pure ideology.

There is such a tremendous opportunity to work together to strengthen our community and progress our society. It is that progress that has been the driving force for my political career. While I believe a study of history is important when considering policy prescriptions, it must all be done with a clear eye on the future.

I was going to talk about something else tonight, but the issue of healthcare and the safety-net is the one that has emerged clearly. This has been sparked by the discussion about the nature of our healthcare system.

Let me make this clear, I will never, ever support a weakening of our public safety net. Social insurance, whether healthcare or social security, is a system that we all pay into and one that we all have access to should it be necessary. We are stronger because of it and despite some delusions that we'd be stronger if we left our most vulnerable to the mercy of charity. We all know that charities do amazing work, but they are already over-stretched.

But, we know the old conservative arguments. The same ones who continue to argue for market-based solutions at all costs, that tax cuts can cure all ills and that trickle-down economics actually does work... despite all evidence to the contrary.

Instead of suggesting real solutions to the issues they see, they shout out the same platitudes about the market, about individuals and "if only" this or that. But their solutions, their plans don't work, they leave more people vulnerable and weaken our entire community.

We all know the next step in their arguments, "if only" the taxes on the rich were cut, then they would voluntarily donate that money to charity and all will be well, just as it was in the past. When the vulnerable relied on the good-will of the wealthy... this will never happen as long as I have anything to do with it. Because it doesn't work and creates massive divides in society.

I worked as President to pass reforms of our social security system, support for mental health and as a Senator to pass support to carers. I will never leave those people to the mercies of the market or to hope they can get along with the scraps thrown to them from the rich. Never.

I believe we can reform our system to make it more sustainable, but it can be done without hurting those most vulnerable or buying into misplaced and baseless attacks on them.

With your help in the Senate, we can make this happen and cut these horrible ideas off at the knees!

Thank you all!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #483 on: June 27, 2014, 10:37:20 PM »

I'd like to invite my fellow citizens to ask questions about any issue - this is a conversation Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #484 on: June 28, 2014, 12:53:30 AM »

I was accused of making a lot of speeches,  but anyone who worked with me behind the scenes know how much I sought to work with them.

both are true. Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #485 on: June 28, 2014, 03:15:29 AM »

I'd like to invite my fellow citizens to ask questions about any issue - this is a conversation Smiley

Unfortunately, people read/engage even less so than they did in the past. Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #486 on: June 28, 2014, 03:55:47 AM »

Unfortunately, people read/engage even less so than they did in the past. Tongue

I know... but still doesn't hurt to put it out there.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #487 on: June 28, 2014, 05:10:18 AM »

Endorsed of course.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #488 on: June 28, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #489 on: June 28, 2014, 06:29:31 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2014, 07:26:46 PM by Barnes »

Very glad to see that you're a candidiate, Polnut. Smiley

What are your positions on the current bicameral plan working it's way through the Senate; and also, what is your position on regional consolidation?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #490 on: June 28, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »

What will you do to make the game more fun beyond the generic and vague PC answers like "increase competition" and "increase activity?"
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #491 on: June 28, 2014, 09:52:32 PM »

What strategy should Atlasia pursue in the Middle East? How should we respond to the advance of ISIS?

My foreign policy, since I was President was to increase positive engagement through diplomacy and reduce the reliance on military means to get our point across. We need to have the capacity to address threats, but diplomacy must be the first means. Very few Secretaries of External Affairs were as active in collaboration with our friends and potential friends than I was.

In relation to the Middle-East in particular, when I was SoEA, I advocated a role for Atlasia as a mediator. I believe that should still be the case. I have advocated for an accelerated process towards a two-state solution for Israel/Palestine, I believe we need to use our power to aide Israel to act on the settlements and to move to genuine talks. On the issue of Iran, as SoEA, I welcomed the election of President Rouhani and I believe we should be involved with an Iran that is open to the West and I'm not interested in being stuck in the past. If there is an opportunity for dialogue, then we'd be beyond reckless in not taking it seriously.

The crisis in Iraq is something I have personally always been concerned about and a big reason why I opposed the Iraq War in the first place. Iraq, being one of those countries that was created, rather than formed organically, meant that sectarian tensions were always bubbling under the surface. The movement and tactics of ISIS, including, apparently, mass executions, are deeply troubling. I would argue that we do need to work with Sunni and Shi'ia powers in the region, including Saudi Arabia, Iran and Jordan to see what kind of channels can be opened to enable talks. But equally these people are undermining Iraq's stability but do not speak for the Sunni minority. I would support sending some kind of force to protect our mission in Baghdad, I believe military force, particularly air-strikes are an option, but it should not be Atlasian military forces undertaking it. I would also move that any assets linked to ISIS be frozen in Atlasia and I would urge the President and the SoEA to work with our allies to do the same.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #492 on: June 28, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »

In relation to the Middle-East in particular, when I was SoEA, I advocated a role for Atlasia as a mediator. I believe that should still be the case. I have advocated for an accelerated process towards a two-state solution for Israel/Palestine, I believe we need to use our power to aide Israel to act on the settlements and to move to genuine talks.

I don't wish to be rude, Mr. President, but it seems you have missed quite a few events, Superique already achieved a peace deal between Israel and Palestine quite a while ago.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #493 on: June 28, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »

In relation to the Middle-East in particular, when I was SoEA, I advocated a role for Atlasia as a mediator. I believe that should still be the case. I have advocated for an accelerated process towards a two-state solution for Israel/Palestine, I believe we need to use our power to aide Israel to act on the settlements and to move to genuine talks.

I don't wish to be rude, Mr. President, but it seems you have missed quite a few events, Superique already achieved a peace deal between Israel and Palestine quite a while ago.

A deal is good, but it needs to be fully followed through. The Middle East has had a LOT of deals. I'm holding off joy until it's fully operational. I fully commend Superique on his achievement but we all know how difficult that region and that debate in particular can be.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #494 on: June 28, 2014, 11:00:27 PM »

In fact both Barnes and X's questions are linked in my response.

I've never been a disruption for the sake of it guy. I respect that that has been a tactic used across the spectrum to get people interested and active. But those movements only last a short time and end up with the same issues re-emerging. One of my biggest concerns about Atlasia in my many years, is that we're so eager to undo things and wreck the joint, in the name of game-reform, without giving them a chance to work properly.

The long and short of it is that we can't always guarantee that it will be interesting and fun, but it comes to down to the commitment of all those involved. Those in leadership can't and shouldn't dictate how Atlasia should run, that's kind of the point of representative democracy, we need to get more people involved in the process, not just voting, but getting involved in discussions - one thing I would want is public submissions on Senate legislation. A formal and regular process for public input into legislation is an opportunity to have their voice heard. But the only thing anyone in leadership can do is offer opportunities, but the public need to participate.

I am open to the idea of a bicameral federal legislature... but I think you'd need to see a critical mass of interest in participation. Otherwise, we risk having an empty and inactive branch of Government, which would be a terrible outcome.

I am also interested in the idea of regional consolidation, probably down to 4, although 3 is an option also. It will give us an opportunity to set the refresh buttons in the regions, shake up the regional Senate make up but it's a shake up with an intended result, rather than just being for the sake of it.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #495 on: July 03, 2014, 01:10:40 AM »

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my friend President Duke and his Vice Presidents Matt and Cinci for their service to this country.

Those of us who have had the honour to serve in that high office know how hard and often frustrating the job can be, but it can also be the most rewarding. Duke was a great example for future presidents to follow, he worked across party lines to serve and govern in the interests of all.

I wish him and Andrew all the happiness in the world and thank Duke again.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #496 on: July 04, 2014, 03:05:15 AM »

Union Square Plaza, San Francisco CA

Ladies and Gentlemen of San Fran, thank you for coming out tonight and a belated Happy Pride.

I have decided to take this opportunity to speak on an important international issue that is currently before the Senate. This is on the issue of Iraq. All of us who want to live in peace note with alarm the movement of ISIS and their deplorable tactics.

I have always taken a 'you broke it, you bought it' view on Iraq, I vehemently opposed our engagement in Iraq and as President and Commander-in-Chief I worked with the Senate and our friends to perform a responsible withdrawal from Iraq.

But we are in difficult position, we must demand more from Iraqi leadership, where is the new Government that was promised? Where is the leadership from the leadership? But it is no longer our place to fill the power vacuum in Iraq.

I opposed the use of Atlasian machines of war to engage in this civil entanglement and let me make this completely clear, I oppose any mechanism put in place that risks putting our troops on a combat footing in Iraq again. I do not object to increased protection for our diplomatic missions, but we must not permit the Senate to authorise the use of force. This is a declaration of War, this is re-starting a war we spent billions on and sacrificed thousands of young lives and I urge the Senate to not take this action.

I have offered multiple options that enable us to ensure that ISIS is not able to generate revenues from it's stolen oil-fields, that we move to freeze assets in this country that are in any way related to ISIS or its interests, and the incoming Administration needs to engage with the region, both in Saudi Arabia and Iran. We can serve our role as a good global citizen but do so without risking the lives of our troops.

This crisis is a genuine crisis and cannot be ignored or swept away, but we need to be much smarter than this, we allowed ourselves to get bogged down in mission-creep and it cannot happen again.

Engagement, diplomacy and strategic actions are the best way for US to deal with this issue. We need to strengthen the hand of moderate Sunni interests, as well as the existing Shi'ia regime. In a country as divided as Iraq, you need to find common ground, or you will perish. But it is no longer the job of Atlasia to solve your problems, I say this to the leadership in Iraq, either you show leadership or get out of the way to allow those who want a solution to step forward.

This is not isolationism, this is experience, we need a smarter and more strategic engagement in this region and we need the know when we use force and when we don't and the strength of purpose to know the difference.

Thank you all, good night and get to bed!!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #497 on: July 04, 2014, 03:12:35 AM »

Mr. President, I agree with you 100%.  You have my endorsement. Smiley
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #498 on: July 04, 2014, 03:51:47 AM »

Thank you Emperor
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #499 on: July 04, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »

Thank you for the well wishes, my friend. Oh, and I endorse you for the upcoming senate race, whenever that is.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies