The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:52:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 32
Author Topic: The Office of Former President & Senator Polnut - Deregistration  (Read 95563 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: July 04, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »

That means a lot Mr President.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #501 on: July 06, 2014, 08:38:05 PM »

Raspberry Island, St Paul MN

My fellow Atlasians,

Thank you for taking the time out of your Sunday night to come along and have a chat about what we need to do together, to get our Government working for us all again.

I wanted to talk with your tonight about the issue of activity. This is oft repeated term in Atlasian political campaigns. With every candidate running for every national office saying what they will do to increase activity, this includes me.

But the reality is, the issue of activity is not easily fixed. It depends on so many different factors, that what creates activity one time, may even decrease it the next. You have those who want to knock-down and re-build the entire system of Government, you have those who want to change our legislature or regional structure. But for what end? I don't disagree with investigation options for reform, even radical reform, if the end is not purely about the means. But I don't hear many arguments beyond "it will increase activity" ... because guess what happens next? The same issues come back and we're back at square one.

I know this isn't an answer, but it is the truth. If we want activity increased, we need the voters of Atlasia, not just the elected officials, to know that they have a true stake in their government. My recommendation is dry, but if elected to the Senate I will propose a formal method for the voters to comment on proposed legislation before the Senate. Each Bill will have a separate thread where voters can debate and discuss the merits of the Bills. I would urge my friends in regional government to consider the same steps.

But I also want to address the issue of personal activity among elected officials. Those who have served with me, or under me, know that I am active and engaged at all times and I take my responsibilities seriously. The only time I ever missed a vote as a Senator was when I was ill and couldn't physically leave my bed.

I was always active, some may even say too active, but that will not change. I promise that any absence will be announced in advance.

We need people who are not seat-fillers, people who want to work to get those most important things done for all Atlasians, not just those who voted for them. I pledge to you all, that I intend to work with whomever I need to, I'm not interested in fighting fights on behalf of a party or ideology, especially if it weakens our ability to govern and make laws that work well.

Our system of government needs an active populace as well as an active legislature, I promise to do what I can to encourage one and to maintain my record in the other.

Thank you all, and good night!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #502 on: July 09, 2014, 03:32:11 AM »

President Polnut will be off the campaign trail from 10 July until 20 July - he will officially launch his campaign, including full policy announcements on 21 July.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #503 on: July 21, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2014, 10:42:18 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

Zilker Park, Austin TX

Ladies and Gentlemen of Atlasia,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your Monday night to come along and have a discussion about what we need to do together to get our country working for all of us.

I would like to take this opportunity to share my horror at the shooting down of Malaysian Airlines flight 17 over Ukraine and to pass on my deepest sympathies and condolences to all affected.

We gather at a time of great global uncertainty and instability, but we need to be able to handle all our challenges, without discounting any.

This will be the official launch of my campaign for At-Large Senate. The message I want to communicate to the Atlasian people is 'Experience with Purpose'. My candidacy is about delivering results for all Atlasians, based on best-evidence and doing what works best. I pledge to work across party lines, to work with those who are equally devoted to that cause, governing for all.

I will be focused on continuing reforms get carers the support they need, to place a focus on practical and realistic foreign policy, continue to manage the reforms of our workplaces and explore the opportunities for reforms of our legislature and our taxation system.

These are all challenges we need to face as a nation, among the many others, and we need to address them as united as we can be, free from the ideological and political divides we set so often as traps for ourselves. But this cannot happen without your help and effort!

Thank you all!

Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #504 on: July 22, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »

May The People bless you on this journey Mr. President; Endorsed! Smiley
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #505 on: July 26, 2014, 05:09:47 AM »

Washington Sq Park, New York NY

My fellow Atlasians,

I want to thank you so much for coming out this evening.

The issues we face are not easy, they are complex and difficult. They do not permit us the luxury of ideology or simple academic thought. It is a time for serious people, who have a desire to deliver the results we all need.

I know one thing from my history in Atlasia, if you want the job and you want to do it well, you need to show the people who are voting that you're serious about the job. With the issues we, as a nation, face, we cannot afford seat-warmers. Every single person who sits in the Senate, needs to be there for right reasons. They need to show they want to work across party and ideological lines to help our fellow citizens.

I am running because I have a record to delivering results and a record of putting aside my personal views to assist those who need help. I worked with the Senate to get our troops home, I worked to ensure homeowners were protected from illegal and unethical practices and I will continue to work to make sure the disabled and those who sacrifice to care for them have the support they need.

I also know we need people in the Senate who have the experience of dealing with international affairs. My record is strong and speaks to a desire to reduce our footprint and to increase our voice.

I say to my fellow Atlasians, we have challenges, many are difficult and complex... but those who serve in the Atlasian Senate need to be there for the right reasons and to serve the best interests of all, even if we don't agree.

None of this happens without your help, thank you all.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #506 on: July 28, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

Former President Polnut issued a statement this evening.

I want to make it very clear that I will not be a candidate for the upcoming special At-Large Senate election. I set out to run for the August general election, and that is what I will do. I wish those who are running in the special election the very best of luck.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #507 on: July 29, 2014, 08:12:29 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Senator Griffin for his service and wish him well on his departure from the Senate. He's been a solid champion for progressive causes. While we have not always agreed, I've always respected him.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #508 on: August 04, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »

Logan Square, Chicago IL

Good evening Chicago!

I want to thank you all for taking time to come along and gather here tonight to have a real discussion about how we get our Senate working for all of us.

Firstly, I want to note that while I decided against campaigning while the special election was underway, we only have a short time and the race is on.

I'd like to congratulate Spiral for his win over the weekend and hope that for however long he is in the Senate, that brings an open mind and seeks to govern in the interests of all, not just those who voted for him.

Again, that issue is what this campaign is about. How do we deliver good governance and the correct policy prescriptions to the needs we all have. How do we improve our economic activity and at the same time, do our best to ensure the economic activity delivers across the board benefits, not just to the very rich.

We need to continue to build on the work we have done to protect and support our most vulnerable citizens. When I was in the Senate I put forward a Bill designed to provide those who perform the vital role of carers to the disabled, a support payment, that recognises their sacrifice. It was shelved after I left the Senate. But my first act if re-elected will be to put that Bill back on the agenda and get it passed.

Making sure that those who give so much, know that their Government and their fellow citizens support them and thank them is the very least we can do.

We also need to have a serious discussion about where this place is headed. Some of us have been around a long time and many of the reforms being suggested are not new. My position on 'game reform' as it's known, is well-known. I support reforms if there is a reason to do it beyond just giving people something to do. If we're going to invigorate the game, let's do it. But if we're going to create more jobs, which become hard to fill and harder to keep active, then we shouldn't. I will have an open-mind to this issue, but not an empty one.

I'm also going to take this opportunity this evening to announce another initiative. I want us to take the risks of dementia and Alzheimer's Disease seriously. At the current national rate of increase, we are looking at almost half the population by mid-Century being affected by these distressing and terrible afflictions. We need to do more and we need to do it now. If re-elected to the Senate, I will put forward a Bill, to increase funding for research on these disorders, and put forward a plan to work with Regional Government to coordinate a truly national effort. This is a national issue, but one with consequences for all levels of government.

I've been around a long time and while I've had strong views that perhaps align with one set of ideas or another. That has never been what I'm about. I'm running because we need people in the Senate who want to get real tangible results. I'm not running to tell you how to think, I'm not running to argue for the supremacy of a particular ideological framework... we have more than enough people in the Senate with strong ideas about how things should work. I'm running to make things work and to govern for all citizens.

Thank you all,

Good night!
GAworth
United States

« Reply #509 on: August 04, 2014, 07:42:15 PM »

Well said good sir, as someone who has seen the devastation that dementia and Alzheimer's causes I am glad that their are politicians talking about it. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #510 on: August 04, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »

As someone who lost their grandma to Alzheimer's , if I am elected this is something I'll work with Polnut on.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #511 on: August 04, 2014, 11:04:24 PM »

As someone who lost their grandma to Alzheimer's , if I am elected this is something I'll work with Polnut on.

My grandmother was terribly affected by dementia, so it's something I've personally seen the impacts of.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #512 on: August 04, 2014, 11:12:10 PM »

My grandmother was terribly affected by dementia, so it's something I've personally seen the impacts of.

Yeah. As it worsened for mine she often confused me for my uncle. It hurt seeing the one who stepped up when my mom wasn't there for me.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #513 on: August 09, 2014, 12:27:16 AM »

I urge all Atlasians to keep an eye on the At-Large Debate thread. There are some stark divides already emerging and there's still a lot more to cover.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #514 on: August 09, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »

I would like to know why the At-Large Senate Debate thread was locked?
GAworth
United States

« Reply #515 on: August 09, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »

I would like to know why the At-Large Senate Debate thread was locked?
Me too, I return this morning, and find that I missed a great discussion and now can't add my views to the discussion.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #516 on: August 09, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

Tonight, I wish to support to decision taken by the administration to act against ISIS elements in order to protect Atlasian diplomatic resources and to protect innocent civilians and in some cases to prevent the expansion of brutal acts against humanity. This situation presents challenges and memories from many years ago - but these actions are at the request of and in concert with, the Iraqi Government.

I urge all parties, internal and external to focus on those innocent people, merely trying to exist, who are suffering to such an extent.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #517 on: August 09, 2014, 10:14:14 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2014, 04:56:38 AM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

TOUR SCHEDULE

Sunday 10 August
Atlanta, GA
Orlando, FL
Miami, FL

Monday 11 August
New Orleans, LA
Dallas, TX
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma City, OK

Tuesday 12 August
Wichita, KS
Lawrence, KS
Kansas City, MO

Wednesday 13 August
Kansas City, MO
Columbia, MO
Des Moines, IA
St Paul, MN

Thursday 14 August

Friday 15 August
Three State Weekend Bus Tour
Indianapolis, IN
Bloomington, IN
Cincinnati, OH

Saturday 16 August
Dayton, OH
Columbus, OH
Akron, OH

Sunday 17 August
Cleveland, OH
Erie, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
---
Trenton, NJ

Monday 18 August
Richmond, VA
College Park, MD
Nyman, DC
Denver, CO

Tuesday 19 August
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA
Seattle, WA
Vancouver, BC

Wednesday 20 August
Fargo, ND
Sioux Falls, SD
Madison, WI
Chicago, IL

Thursday 21 August
Detroit, MI
Ann Arbour, MI
Albany, NY
Scranton, PA

Friday 22 August
Philadelphia, PA
Portland, ME
[Northeast bus tour]
Montpelier, VT
Amherst, MA
Hartford, CT

Saturday 23 August
New Haven, CT
Providence, RI
Barnstable, MA
Worcester, MA

Sunday 24 August
Wellesley, MA
Lexington, MA
Boston, MA

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #518 on: August 13, 2014, 07:18:18 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2014, 07:23:38 AM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

Mill Creek Park, Kansas City MO

Good morning Kansas City!

Well... we're heading into the final stages of this campaign. And I want to do something you don't hear very often in campaigns, I want to commend those who I am currently debating. These are people with clear ideas and I believe, commitment to the future of this country. Now, there are many ideas I'm hearing that I'm violently opposed to, but that's the point of democracy, a free debate of ideas.

However, there is are some things that I am concerned about hearing in this debate. We are hearing the same parts of different broken records "government is too big" "government is too small" with each based on talking points and not facts or evidence. How about government that works best? That is what I'm about, I'm not interested in hackneyed old-school arguments that are best placed in lecture theatres... not in the Atlasian Senate where we are supposed to be dealing with facts and reality.

This is what much of our political discourse is down to now, one option or the other, dismissing anything else as a half-measure and God-help us, moderate.

Take the example of nationalisation. We have one group saying "we all know the public sector is terrible and that it can't do anything right"... which is nonsense and the other side saying "public ownership is always more effective and productive and the private sector is terrible" again, also wrong. But again, God help us for saying the truth is somewhere in middle. I won't apologise for that and I shouldn't.

I need your vote for the Senate, to stop the false choices and be driven by delivering solutions for the Atlasian people. While I will be deeply grateful for second or third preferences, I need first preferences. Now, this might mean breaking party lines for many of you, but this campaign is about getting a Senate that works and I believe we've seen recently that we need people who want to get things working and working for every single Atlasian.

Thank you all!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #519 on: August 14, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

I have been deeply troubled by the events over the past few days in Ferguson, Missouri. I have not made any statements earlier as I believe the last thing the people of this area and the family of the young man killed need is the injection of politics into this fraught situation.

I urge the Government of the Mideast, relevant offices of the Federal Government and local authorities to not only undertake full inquiries into these events, but pledge to act on any recommendations.

I am not going to make any kind of policy or reflexive announcement based on this tragedy. That is not what is needed now. But it does leave many of us asking difficult and unpleasant questions about some realities of life that minorities face in Atlasia in 2014.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #520 on: August 15, 2014, 11:35:18 PM »

Fifth Third Arena, Cincinnati OH

Thank you all for coming out this evening. It's been a long but amazing day talking to so many Atlasians as we started our bus tour across Indiana, here in Ohio and then we finish on Sunday in Pittsburgh. It's been so rewarding to hear what you really care about, stopping in big cities and small towns.

We have so many challenges before us and the Senate needs to be serious about addressing them. But I'm deeply concerned that the Senate is only interested in their own narrow ideological goals, not actually fixing problems. For too long, we've had a Senate who have lived for solutions in search of a problem.

Having a vision for Atlasia is important, but being fixated on what you want, at the expense of all others, is a recipe for disaster and a mockery of our democracy.

No one owns the Senate, no one deserves a seat innately, those who deserve the seats are those that you, the Atlasian people, have granted that honour to.

So, obviously, I'm asking for your votes and preferences, because I have the record of getting things done and a desire to solve our problems, not remake our country in my image whether we the people, like it or not. Even if you don't intend to vote for me, I urge all Atlasians to look at the debate among other demonstrations of what you will be getting from this election. If you want Atlasia to work again for all, then we need people in the Senate who want to serve you and help make your lives better and our country stronger and more united.

Thank you all!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #521 on: August 16, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »

Englewood Metropark, Vandalia OH

Thank you for taking time on your valuable weekend to come out and talk about the future of this country.

I'll be very quick, so you can focus your attention on the breakfast BBQ over there.

There's been a lot of drama over the past few days across a number of fronts. A lot of drama that isn't focused on helping you and your families. As someone who has been a Governor, a regional representative, a Senator and President, I can tell you, we need people who are more interested in looking after their interests, than yours.

Atlasia is at a crossroads. Very few elections present us as clear differences as we are presented with right now. But what's interesting, is that we, as a people, are being presented with false choices. As I've been arguing from the very day this campaign began, it is about you and the representation you deserve. I do not believe that this has been what has been happening in the Senate.

I'm sure some will try to grant some kind of deeper philosophical or political meaning in this. My focus is not about about arguing with a political party, it is about talking to the Atlasian people about our collective future. I believe that Atlasia can be strong and united. Not divided for petty short-sighted political gain.

In this election, every single vote will matter. I am asking people from across the political spectrum of their support. Not because we will always agree, but because we have a common vision of strong representation based on common sense and best-evidence. I want to be in the Senate to effect real, positive and practical change. I've been working on an alternative path on some of our most controversial issues. How do we bring about the change we need without undermining our democracy and our place in the world.

Thank you all!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: August 17, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »

There will be a policy announcement on energy in the next few hours.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #523 on: August 17, 2014, 09:31:57 PM »

Polnut Plan for Improving Atlasia's Energy Sector

1. The Senate to create the National Energy Fund (NEF)

2.  All energy producers/fuel suppliers must provide a minimum of 20% of all pre-tax profits towards research and development, including renewable technology and innovations in energy-efficiency. This can be a verified in-house program or funding to a recognised and accredited third-party. Failure to do so, will permit the Federal Government to impose a tax penalty of 20% above their existing Federal corporate tax liabilities. Any funds collected through these tax measures will be put towards the NEF.

3. 30% of funds collected through the national carbon tax, to be placed directly into the NEF.

4. The NEF will fund
4a. Increases to the value and expansions of eligibility of low-income energy supplements.
4b. The provision of 'Household Energy Credits', to enable households to undertake energy-efficiency activities, including installation of solar panels, double-glazing or improved insulation.

5. A full independent inquiry into the energy sector be undertaken. With recommendations to form a longer-term plan for Atlasia's energy sector. The terms of reference are to include the option for partial or full nationalisation as well as options to expand nuclear, natural gas and renewable power.   
GAworth
United States

« Reply #524 on: August 17, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »

It looks like a good place to start a discussion on a National Energy Policy.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies