SC: Gov. Haley (R) signs photo voter-ID law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:07:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SC: Gov. Haley (R) signs photo voter-ID law
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SC: Gov. Haley (R) signs photo voter-ID law  (Read 2572 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:49:35 AM »

South Carolina governor signs voter photo ID bill

(Reuters) - Governor Nikki Haley on Wednesday signed into law a bill that requires voters to show photo identification at the polls, making South Carolina the tenth state to adopt such legislation.

The measure landed on the Republican governor's desk after state senators voted 26-16 last week to concur with the House of Representatives bill, which requires people to show a driver's license, military identification or passport along with their voter registration card when they vote.

Those who don't have a photo ID must obtain a new voter registration card that includes a photo. A birth certificate or passport can be used to prove identity.

"If you can show a picture to buy Sudafed, if you can show a picture to get on an airplane, you should be able to show a picture to make sure that we do what is incredibly inherent in our freedoms and that is the ability to vote," Haley said at the signing ceremony in Columbia.

Similar legislation died in the state Senate in 2010.

During contentious debate this spring, Democrats called the legislation "voter suppression" and said it was pushed by Republicans soon after Barack Obama was elected president.

"In 2008, we had too many black folk, too many brown folk, too many poor folk voting," said state Representative David J. Mack III. "They (Republicans) can't have that in 2012."

Supporters said the measure was meant to combat voter fraud.

"It is just a simple means of commonly used technology to ensure the integrity of our ballot," said Greg Foster, spokesman for House Speaker Bobby Harrell.

"In South Carolina you have to show a photo ID to do almost everything. This is not about any one individual or one set of individuals."

Kansas also added a photo ID requirement this year, which takes effect January 1. Thirty-three states have considered adding or strengthening voter identification requirements this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/18/us-southcarolina-idUSTRE74H5YD20110518

Good to see ... Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:40:55 AM »

Disturbing.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:15:03 AM »

Gotta keep those Democrats away from the polls as much as possible, afterall.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:19:06 AM »

Not that I support this, but you guys are overreacting. Having people show photo ID's to vote* isn't exactly Jim crow material here.

(which if you do not have they apparently will provide you with a new voter registration card that has a pic)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:24:32 AM »

And how is that so?  I've been to the polls in Detroit... I've seen some of the sketchy things that go on at times.  How is it such a shameful thing to make sure that people who are voting are actually who they claim to be?  (Although things in Michigan are a little different, as we don't have to show our voter registration cards.)  Even people who don't have IDs can often vote after signing an afidavit saying they don't have an ID... that just means they actually can't have one, otherwise they could be legally liable.  So, what's the harm in that?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:52:05 AM »

I thought the Republicans were opposed to Big Government?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 02:54:07 AM »

Bullsh**t.

Indiana law requires photo ID before voting and Obama won the state fir the first time in more than 40 years.

If Democrats cannot win with voter ID in place and just complain, they shouldn't win at all.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 04:13:56 AM »

Do we need a new thread every time? Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:28:20 AM »

I still don't see the problem with asking an ID with a photo for voting.

Most Occidental countries are already asking something similar.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 07:56:23 AM »

I don't have a problem with it if the photo voter registration card is free. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »

In South Carolina it costs $5.  Not much at all, compared to other states, but it still goes against the principle of not having a poll tax.  And yes, even five bucks is still an unnecessary expense for some people, many of whom will be found in South Carolina.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:56 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2011, 08:06:34 AM by Gramps »

In South Carolina it costs $5.  Not much at all, compared to other states, but it still goes against the principle of not having a poll tax.  And yes, even five bucks is still an unnecessary expense for some people, many of whom will be found in South Carolina.

Then I have a problem with it........I meant totally free.  I wonder if it will be challenged on the basis?  I hope so.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »

In addition to the constitutional issue, what gets me is how everytime this debate emerges, the GOP acts like everybody must already have an ID because "you need an ID to fly on airplane or rent a movie, etc." Surely, they cannot be sheltered enough to think that everybody indulges in these luxuries. All it takes is a quick car ride to learn that there a destitute class out there, who is completely detached from our consumer economy. And they are citizens and entitled to vote just like everybody else.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »

In addition to the constitutional issue, what gets me is how everytime this debate emerges, the GOP acts like everybody must already have an ID because "you need an ID to fly on airplane or rent a movie, etc." Surely, they cannot be sheltered enough to think that everybody indulges in these luxuries. All it takes is a quick car ride to learn that there a destitute class out there, who is completely detached from our consumer economy. And they are citizens and entitled to vote just like everybody else.

Agreed......would you support a FREE photo voter registration card if the state made them available?  Yes, friend, a compromise. 
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »

How radical, what's next, I'll need a photo ID to go drinking?

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »

How radical, what's next, I need a photo ID to go drinking?

I notice that people still aren't recognizing the point that Gramps, memphis and I have been making here.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »

How radical, what's next, I'll need a photo ID to go drinking?

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »

I notice that people still aren't recognizing the point that Gramps, memphis and I have been making here.

"Poll Tax" ?

I´d by happy paying this 5$ once for this license and then vote for the rest of my life when it is a step to guarantee safe elections.

Better once paying 5$ than having a crappy election like Florida 2000 all over again.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »

I understand the principle that voting should be free of any sort of cost. I just object to that this should be considered a fee. After all some people who live on the country side doesn't live in walking distance from a polling station, should the cost it takes for them to get to a polling station be considered a fee?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 09:41:13 AM »

If you're going to charge as little as $5 for the damn things, I don't know why you can't go the extra step and just make them free.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »

If you're going to charge as little as $5 for the damn things, I don't know why you can't go the extra step and just make them free.

I don't know if it made it into the final bill, but they did have a provision to make the non-DL ID free in it initially.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »

Free ID Card+Automatic/Compulsory Registration when you become adult= Real Democracy.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »

Bullsh**t.

Indiana law requires photo ID before voting and Obama won the state fir the first time in more than 40 years.

If Democrats cannot win with voter ID in place and just complain, they shouldn't win at all.

That's not the point, the point is the intent of the Republican Party. $5 is a lot of money to some people who like to vote, it's not fair at all to expect people to pay to vote. Voter fraud is almost non-existent, so what exactly does this make better?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 10:29:37 AM »

Bullsh**t.

That's not the point, the point is the intent of the Republican Party. $5 is a lot of money to some people who like to vote, it's not fair at all to expect people to pay to vote. Voter fraud is almost non-existent, so what exactly does this make better?

The intent of the Republican party is surely to make the elections safer, not to place additional hurdles for poor people and minorities.

If they would have the intent of placing additional hurdles to these people, they would probably make it harder to even get an ID by raising the application fees or something like that.

And really, 5$ is not a lot to get an ID and then you can vote forever, people spend more money on buying sh*t like drugs, cigarettes and alcohol than this.

If there are really poor people who cannot afford it, then there should be some kind of system which subsidizes these poor people and gets them a free license, similar to the commuter benefit application in my state, in which people earning below 20.000€ a year are getting a commuter benefit.

And another option is for example the Indiana law, which says:

"Voters who are unable or decline to produce proof of identification may vote a provisional ballot. The ballot is counted only if (1) the voter returns to the election board by noon on the Monday after the election and: (A) produces proof of identification; or (B) executes an affidavit stating that the voter cannot obtain proof of identification, because the voter: (i) is indigent; or (ii) has a religious objection to being photographed; and (2) the voter has not been challenged or required to vote a provisional ballot for any other reason."

And yes, it's rather easy to commit voter fraud if there's no photo ID presented to the local election commission. I give you a rather extreme example:

There are 10 poor people of 2 families in a Chicago neighbourhood. A party official from Indiana knows one of them and sets up a "deal". He sends 10 people from Indiana to their Chicago precinct to vote instead of them (all 10 for 1 party of course) and provides them a good amount of cash, if they also get him their names and birth dates. These 10 people from Indiana have their new personal data, drive to Chicago and vote without an ID. Voter Fraud. If they would all have a Photo ID, it would be much harder to fake this.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 10:31:09 AM »

At least this can't be racist, since Nimrata Randhawa "Nikki Haley" is a minority.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies