Report: 58% of Americans have inflated egos, are simpletons
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:15:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Report: 58% of Americans have inflated egos, are simpletons
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Report: 58% of Americans have inflated egos, are simpletons  (Read 1870 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »

link
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:09:47 PM »

Do you truly believe that everyone who thinks he is smarter than Obama is a simpleton with an inflated ego?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 01:23:40 PM »

Do you truly believe that everyone who thinks he is smarter than Obama is a simpleton with an inflated ego?

Most people who actually know things are too self-hating and humble to ever believe such a thing.  Most.  But if I said a number like 54%, then the joke would not be clear.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »

I bet 58% of people trust their own opinion on economic issues more than mine too.  Idiots.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:53:17 PM »

58% sounds like a very low estimate. I suspect that most people believe that they are blessed with expert knowledge far beyond what they actually have. I would suggest that the fact that 42% trust Obama over them on the economy is merely an indicator of a dangerous faith in the President rather than any actual humbleness for most of them.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:26:37 PM »

Just 58% of the simpletons? Wow, situation isn't that tragic as we thought.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2011, 10:13:50 PM by phk »

58% sounds like a very low estimate. I suspect that most people believe that they are blessed with expert knowledge far beyond what they actually have. I would suggest that the fact that 42% trust Obama over them on the economy is merely an indicator of a dangerous faith in the President rather than any actual humbleness for most of them.

This.

Tbh, he studied Political Science, not Econ/Finance.
Nichlemn

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 02:02:10 AM »

This.

Still, he does have the counsel of many top economists. And only 29% of Americans have a bachelor's degree at all, let alone an economics degree.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 02:23:33 AM »

Not surprising.  I'd be interested to see the demographics.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 02:27:28 AM »

Still, he does have the counsel of many top economists. And only 29% of Americans have a bachelor's degree at all, let alone an economics degree.

This is more of what I was getting at.  Obama is no economist, but he has more economists in the room when he reaches a conclusion on an issue than 99.9999% of the 300 million Americans will ever encounter in their life.  When they say "we know more about the economy than Obama," they are invalidating the administration and people in it who have spent their entire lives studying the economy because of their belief in some random talking point--regardless of ideology.

I'm almost certain that if any American would be given the opportunity to be President for a year, their half-baked ideals would be mostly invalidated and disposed of after a few days of actually having to pay attention to details and the pressure of real decisions.

Nichlemn

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 02:46:09 AM »

This is more of what I was getting at.  Obama is no economist, but he has more economists in the room when he reaches a conclusion on an issue than 99.9999% of the 300 million Americans will ever encounter in their life.  When they say "we know more about the economy than Obama," they are invalidating the administration and people in it who have spent their entire lives studying the economy because of their belief in some random talking point--regardless of ideology.

I'm almost certain that if any American would be given the opportunity to be President for a year, their half-baked ideals would be mostly invalidated and disposed of after a few days of actually having to pay attention to details and the pressure of real decisions.

I think there's a reasonable chance that if the question was worded differently, say ""If you were President, do you think you would make better decisions on economic policy than Obama would?", the numbers would be lower. People don't like saying that they don't trust their own judgment.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 04:16:05 AM »

This.

That plus some Goldman Sachs executives ..
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 05:59:44 AM »

Just 58% of the simpletons? Wow, situation isn't that tragic as we thought.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »

Do I trust my own judgment on the economy more than Leonid Brezhnev?  Of course I do, even though Leonid was no doubt surrounded by top economists who had spent their entire lives studying the economy.
JewCon
LongIslandBorn
Israel

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 01:40:23 PM »

God damn us evil Americans for believing our opinions are right Roll Eyes
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »

Do I trust my own judgment on the economy more than Leonid Brezhnev?  Of course I do, even though Leonid was no doubt surrounded by top economists who had spent their entire lives studying the economy.

I am suspicious of the notion that Brzehnev was surrounded by top economists. Recall that many academic disciplines in the USSR were bad jokes; just look at Lysenkoism. It is obvious that Soviet economists were forced to trot out pieces supporting the Marxist-Leninist line. If you want to write something that will support the official party line, then your research will inevitably be weaker since you would be drawing conclusions & then conducting the experiment, which is reversed from the proper process.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »

I am suspicious of the notion that Brzehnev was surrounded by top economists. Recall that many academic disciplines in the USSR were bad jokes; just look at Lysenkoism. It is obvious that Soviet economists were forced to trot out pieces supporting the Marxist-Leninist line. If you want to write something that will support the official party line, then your research will inevitably be weaker since you would be drawing conclusions & then conducting the experiment, which is reversed from the proper process.

And all of Obama's economists are trotting out pieces supporting the official party line (one of his economists, whose name escapes me, wrote a piece a while ago in which she provided evidence that the New Deal had little effect on the Great Depression.  In the Obama admin she dutifully recycled all the "multiplier" gibberish).  Your point exactly?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »

And all of Obama's economists are trotting out pieces supporting the official party line (one of his economists, whose name escapes me, wrote a piece a while ago in which she provided evidence that the New Deal had little effect on the Great Depression.  In the Obama admin she dutifully recycled all the "multiplier" gibberish).  Your point exactly?

My point is that Brezhnev was not surrounded by what I would consider top economists, because his regime corrupted the integrity of their work. If you want to make the same case in regards to Obama then that's cool, though I would say there is a different mechanism at work here (selecting people who already agree with him rather than forcing everyone into agreeing with him).
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »

My point is that Brezhnev was not surrounded by what I would consider top economists, because his regime corrupted the integrity of their work. If you want to make the same case in regards to Obama then that's cool, though I would say there is a different mechanism at work here (selecting people who already agree with him rather than forcing everyone into agreeing with him).

Christina Romer?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »

Yes, thank you.

I'm fairly certain that Brezhnev's economists probably really and truly did believe what they were saying.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 04:27:10 PM »

Yes, thank you.

I'm fairly certain that Brezhnev's economists probably really and truly did believe what they were saying.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/events/2009/0309_lessons/0309_lessons_romer.pdf
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »

I think many people would make themselves truly believe anything if the alternative were being sent to a gulag or being killed. Argumentum ad baculum is a powerful motivator, which is why dictatorships & other autocratic governments have been such a big problem in the course of human history. They wouldn't be nearly so dangerous if everyone felt free to oppose them, since they could never gain such hegemony if that were the case.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »

In fairness, "trusting" one's own "judgment" on economic decisions  than the President's isn't the same as saying "I know more about economics" than the President. Again, the key words are "trust" and "judgment".

I have little doubt Milton Friedman has more knowledge about economics than I do, but I doubt his judgement on such matters as ultimately even an expert's views (perhaps even especially an expert's) are colored by fundimental value choices and personal priorities of what a "perfect" economy entails.

I may not know as much about economics as Friedman, but I know enough to hold greater trust in other equally erudite experts like Paul Krugman and Robert Reich. Grin
Nichlemn

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »

In fairness, "trusting" one's own "judgment" on economic decisions  than the President's isn't the same as saying "I know more about economics" than the President. Again, the key words are "trust" and "judgment".

I have little doubt Milton Friedman has more knowledge about economics than I do, but I doubt his judgement on such matters as ultimately even an expert's views (perhaps even especially an expert's) are colored by fundimental value choices and personal priorities of what a "perfect" economy entails.

I may not know as much about economics as Friedman, but I know enough to hold greater trust in other equally erudite experts like Paul Krugman and Robert Reich. Grin

I don't have any real issue with people with fundamentally different values trusting their own judgment more. However, at 58%, this includes people who voted for Obama (and so presumably are not too dissimiliar in values). Those people are the real "simpletons".
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 12:16:14 AM »

I don't have any real issue with people with fundamentally different values trusting their own judgment more. However, at 58%, this includes people who voted for Obama (and so presumably are not too dissimiliar in values). Those people are the real "simpletons".

well I voted for McCain, but I'd trust my own judgement on economics over his.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies