The truth comes out (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:22:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The truth comes out (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The truth comes out  (Read 3609 times)
Whacker77

« on: December 07, 2004, 01:41:48 PM »

For nearly a month, fringe candidate, David Cobb, has said he wanted a recount in Ohio only to ensure that every vote was counted.  In no way was he attempting to overturn the results of the state.  Oh how times have changed in the world of Keith Olbermann and David Cobb.

In an interview with Sam Donaldson, the lifelong loser admitted that overturning the result in Ohio was his real goal.  Due to his efforts, John Kerry could become the president.  He relished the idea of being kingmaker even though he only received 24 votes in the state of Ohio.

As each of you know, I have consistently been against this stupid idea.  First, it's totally petty.  Second, it's a waste of Ohio's money.  Third, the result has been certified and 99.9% of the country has accepted the outcome.  In short, David Cobb needs to get a life and return to reality.

What concerns me more are the legal questions that arise from this recount.  In 2000, the Supreme Court stopped the recount process because adequate legal challenges to the process couldn't be completed before the safe harbor rule.  This year that date occured last night at midnight.

The Ohio Supreme Court should block any recount for president based on the reasoning set forth in Bush v Gore.   Any recount process could endanger the state's desire to meet the safe harbor exemption.  Ceratainly, all questions about the state would have to be settled by that date.  That can't be accomplished now because the date has already passed.  Any further action could cause a constitutional crisis.

For the last month, I have railed against the stupidity of this recount.  I have received complaints about my position, but the words of Cobb yesterday proved me right.  There never was any altruistic reason for his request.  He wanted publicity for himself and he wanted to create a cloud over Bush's reelection.  To be honest, I have believed from the start that he was always a stalking horse for Kerry.

The Christmas holidays should not be ruined by the likes of some petty little man like David Cobb.
Whacker77

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 05:00:07 PM »

There were long lines all over the country.  That argument's weak and just plain pathetic.  As for those who waited until 3 AM on election to vote, so what.  They still got to vote and their vote was counted.  Voting is not a right, it's a reward.  That's why convicted felons are removed from the voting roles.

As for David Cobb, that little weasel's not paying for the whole thing and you know it.  He's paying $10 a precinct.  It's Ohio's fault because the law was created in 1950.  It was not updated to reflect today's costs.  He'll pay $113,000 dollars while the state picks up the rest of the $1.5 to $2.0 million tab.  That's really fair for a state suffering through economic hardships.

You can whine about long lines all you want.  In fact, I know a few who actually think long lines equal fraud.  Their names are Keith Olbermann and Jesse Jackson.  One's an idiot who thinks Homeland Security operatives acted as poll workers in Ohio to help steal the vote for Bush.  The other's a shakedown artist maskerading as a non-partisan minister.

This whole thing is a sham and I suspect it will occur in each and every election to come.  Al Gore started this mess in Florida and he suffered for it in public perception.  Now, democrats are using third parties to do their dirty work.  John Kerry conceded and Bush was certified the winner in Ohio by 118,775 votes, not 118 votes.  Move on and stop being sore losers consumed by crazy conspiracy theories.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies