Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2016, 02:13:20 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2016 predictions are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Apocrypha)
| | |-+  Blowin' in the Wind: A Timeline from the 1960s Onward
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blowin' in the Wind: A Timeline from the 1960s Onward  (Read 1749 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

P P

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2015, 11:47:23 am »
Ignore

Part 1: Tricky Dick and the New Frontier
United States Presidential Election, 1960
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1960 presidential election was the was the 44th quadrennial presidential election of the United States, held on Tuesday, November 8, 1960.  The incumbent president, Republican Dwight D. Eisenower, was not eligible for reelection after being elected the maximum two times allowed by the Twenty-Second Amendment.  In his place, the Republican Party nominated incumbent Vice President Richard Nixon, while the Democratic Party nominated US Senator John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts.  This was the first presidential election in which voters from Alaska and Hawaii were able to participate, as both had become states in 1959.

The election was one of the closest in American history, with Nixon winning by 0.3% in the popular vote.  This may be explained by several factors.  Kennedy benefitted from the economic recession of 1957-58, which hurt the standing of the incumbent Republican Party, and he had the advantage of 17 million more registered Democrats than Republicans.  Kennedy was the first Catholic nominated by a major party for president since Al Smith in 1928, helping him to strengthen the Democrats' already firm grip on the Catholic vote.

Nixon visited all 50 states during the campaign, a move criticized by many pundits who believed it took the focus off crucial swing states.  The campaign featured the first ever series of presidential debates; four debates were held between Nixon and Kennedy, broadcast on both radio and television.  The debates proved to be a major turning point in the campaign, with neither candidate coming out a clear winner.  Initially, Nixon insisted on campaigning until just a few hours before the first debate, but his campaign team encouraged him to rehearse and practice. 
Shortly before, the election, when the noted black civil rights activist Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was put in jail, Nixon's campaign staff called his wife, Coretta Scott King, and secured King's release.  This move helped Nixon gain a number of new black votes, effectively neutralizing Kennedy's gains with Catholics.

Vice Pres. Richard Nixon (R-CA)/Fmr. Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge (R-MA): 280 EVs, 49.8% PV
Sen. John F. Kennedy (D-MA)/Sen. Lyndon B. Johnson (D-TX): 249 EVs, 49.5% PV
Unpledged Democratic Electors: 8 EVs, 0.3% PV

1960 Senate Elections

Democratic Party: 64 seats (-1)
Republican Party: 36 seats (+1)

1960 House Elections
Democratic Party: 262 seats (-21)
Republican Party: 175 seats (+22)

1960 Governor Elections
Democratic Party: 34 states (+2)
Republican Party: 16 states (-2)

Inauguration Day: January 20, 1961

In his inaugural address, President Nixon vowed to continue the progress that Eisenhower had made on civil rights and in the fight against communism, while working to tackle poverty and other domestic issues.  Because Democrats had maintained control of Congress in the elections, Nixon was faced with the task of being a bipartisan leader.  Texas Senator Lyndon B. Johnson, who had been the Democrats' nominee for Vice President, remained Senate Majority Leader, while fellow Texan Sam Rayburn remained Speaker of the House.  Meanwhile, Nixon could count on the Senate Republican Leader, Everett Dirksen of Illinois, as an ally to advance most of his legislative goals.

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=224939.new#new
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 08:01:22 pm »
Ignore

I'm hoping to have an update some time this weekend.

There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.

Northeast Assemblyman Kingpoleon
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 09:44:09 pm »
Ignore

Lindsay-McCarthy 1964!

"You are the people who pay the taxes and obey the law. You are the people who make America what it is! It is from your ranks I come, and on your side I stand!" - Gerald Ford

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:21:06 pm »
Ignore

Bay of Pigs
President Nixon faced his first major foreign policy challenge when he ordered the invasion of Cuba in April 1961.  An attempt to overthrow the communist government of Premier Fidel Castro proved more difficult than previously thought, but after several days, weakened and exhausted US forces withdrew.  The president faced criticism on all sides for this decision; doves and isolationists attacked him as a warmonger who was too quick to intervene in foreign affairs, while more hawkish anti-communists saw the failure of the invasion as a sign of weakness.

Gallup Poll: Nixon Job Approval
Approve: 35%
Disapprove: 24%
Undecided: 41%
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:23:08 pm by Oldiesfreak1854 »Logged

L.D. Smith
MormDem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: 3.13

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:41:02 pm »
Ignore

So who faces Pat Brown for Governor in 1962 now?

Government: 2.58 (Authoritarian)
Economics: -6.53 (Liberal)
Foreign Policy: -5.04 (Dove)
Culture Wars: -0.83 (Centrist)
Northeast Assemblyman Kingpoleon
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 03:41:21 pm »
Ignore

Is that really so important you can't go over it in your head?

George Christopher, Pete McCloskey, Ronald Reagan, William Knowland, and Goodwin Knight are all possibilities.

"You are the people who pay the taxes and obey the law. You are the people who make America what it is! It is from your ranks I come, and on your side I stand!" - Gerald Ford

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 10:04:44 pm »
Ignore

Be patient; I'm getting there.

MATTROSE94
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -2.43

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 01:50:06 pm »
Ignore

Excellent timeline so far!

I can vouch for this.  In my social circle, we regularly sing songs, or write poetry, about the fabled exploits of Gov. Haley.

"They called me Vito Corleone"
- Jeb Bush, 2015
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 09:18:28 pm »
Ignore

The Freedom Rides
In the summer of 1961, a group of black and white civil rights activists, led by the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), embarked on a series of rides on racially segregated buses in the South.  Known as the Freedom Rides, they were intended to test a Supreme Court ruling against racial segregation on interstate transportation.  The activists encountered much violence as they rode on buses throughout the South, being harassed by the Ku Klux Klan and local police.  President Nixon called in federal marshals to protect the Freedom Riders for the remainder of their journey, and used the opportunity to renew a campaign pledge and urge Congress to pass federal civil rights legislation.

Gallup Poll: Nixon Job Approval
Approve: 49%
Disapprove: 29%
Undecided: 22%

Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 08:15:38 pm »
Ignore

I'm planning on an update soon, but it may take a while.  Check back over the next few days.

Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 10:30:09 pm »
Ignore

The First Supreme Court Vacancy
In March 1962, Justice Charles Evans Whittaker retired from the Supreme Court.  Whittaker had only been on the Court for five years before suffering a nervous breakdown, and cited exhaustion from the workload as a reason for his retirement.  On April 3, 1962, President Nixon nominated District Court judge Frank Minis Johnson as Whittaker's replacement.  Judge Johnson, who served the Middle District of Alabama, was an Eisenhower appointee who had a history of bucking the Democratic segregationist establishment in his state, handing down vital decisions supporting black civil rights.  As such, his nomination was ardently opposed by segregationist Democrats in the Senate.  Later that month, Senator Strom Thurmond announced plans to filibuster Johnson's nomination, and was soon joined by fellow Senators Robert Byrd, William Fulbright, and John Stennis.  In spite of these efforts, however, Senate Republican leader Everett Dirksen of Illinois managed to compile enough votes from Republicans and liberal Democrats to invoke cloture.  Johnson was confirmed to the Supreme Court in early June, with every Republican Senator voting in favor and nearly the entire opposition from Southern Democrats.

Associate Justice Frank Minis Johnson
1962-?

Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 09:25:33 am »
Ignore

I hope to get an update on some time this weekend.

Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 07:20:50 pm »
Ignore

Any suggestions for this TL?

Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West
tedbessell
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 07:23:42 pm »
Ignore

Any suggestions for this TL?

Dunno. Pat Brown 1964 would be fun, but it's your TL.

Trump has made a habit of raising a middle digit to reality, turning that middle digit into a knife, and stabbing reality through the heart.

"If everything's under control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 08:04:38 am »
Ignore

We Shall Overcome: Part 1

In January 1962, after urging from the president, the Civil Rights Act was finally introduced in Congress.  The act was one of the most broad-sweeping civil rights bills since Reconstruction, building on the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960.  President Nixon was aware that segregationist Democrats would fight their hardest to block the bill and most likely attempt a filibuster, and thus was counting on the support of Republicans and liberal Democrats to get the bill passed.

"The time has come for America to live up to its founding creed that all men are created equal.  We cannot afford to let our Southern states continue to ignore our Constitution and rule of law with an unjust system...It is not just Negroes, but really it is all of us, who must overcome the crippling legacy of bigotry and injustice.  And we shall overcome...I want to be the president who helped the poor to find their own way and who protected the right of every citizen to vote in every election.  I want to be the president who helped to end hatred among his fellow men and who promoted love among the people of all races and all regions and all parties.  I want to be the president who helped to end war among the brothers of this earth."

-President Richard Nixon, in a joint session before Congress,

swky_0rn
Rookie
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 12:51:26 pm »
Ignore

Does Oswald  remain  a   obscure  figour in this t.l.
I am curious what happens to  Reagan. Goldwalter  and John kennedy in this t.l.
MATTROSE94
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -2.43

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 07:40:38 am »
Ignore

Maybe JFK makes a comeback in 1968 and serves as President from 1969-1977 and Ronald Reagan gets elected in 1976 and serves from 1977-1985?

I can vouch for this.  In my social circle, we regularly sing songs, or write poetry, about the fabled exploits of Gov. Haley.

"They called me Vito Corleone"
- Jeb Bush, 2015
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 08:53:58 am »
Ignore

Maybe JFK makes a comeback in 1968 and serves as President from 1969-1977 and Ronald Reagan gets elected in 1976 and serves from 1977-1985?
Be patient.  You'll see...

Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 08:54:37 am »
Ignore

Now that I have more free time on my hands, I hope to be updating this more regularly.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout