Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2016, 04:55:41 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Apocrypha)
| | |-+  Canadian Election Game-Canada as a republic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Canadian Election Game-Canada as a republic  (Read 215 times)
Pacific Councilor 1184AZ
1184AZ
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2016, 06:00:59 pm »
Ignore

(this is an unrealistic scenario, but one that I thought might be an interesting game)

Scenario
After leading the Liberal Party to a majority government in 2015, Justin Trudeau's government goes through with changing the way Canadians vote. However does so in an unexpected manner, in May of 2018 a constitutional amendment is passed making Canada a Republic.

Canadian Elections are now fought under a fixed four year term starting in 2019, with a separately elected House of Commons and Senate.

Structure 
The Canadian House contains 338 members, the same as before. Meanwhile the Senate is elected but while officially Non-Partisan contains obvious partisan ties. Their are 53 Senators, 5 from each Province and one from each territory(they serve a 6 year term). The President replaces both the PM and Governor General  as the Head of Government and State. The President serves a fixed 4 year term (they are not term limited) and has much the same power as the USA President would have. All races including for the Presidency use IRV, Elections for President are only based on the PV.   

The 2019 Election-
Entering 2019 President Justin Trudeau is preparing for Re-Election and may still be challenged in the primary , while the Conservatives and NDP have wide open fields for their nominee. Potential Candidates may be for the NDP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_New_Democratic_Party_leadership_election

For the Conservatives https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_of_Canada_leadership_election,_2017

For the Liberals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_of_Canada_leadership_election,_2013

Here is the complete list of MP's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_House_members_of_the_42nd_Parliament_of_Canada

I will continue the introduction on the next post

Senator-elect Smith (Labor-MA)
cxs018
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -8.35

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 06:19:02 pm »
Ignore

This is an interesting idea.

I shall be Maxime Bernier.

ISideWith results:

Sanders 91%
Stein 89%
Feldman 84%
McAfee 82%
Perry 80%

Clinton 80%
Johnson 78%
Petersen 71%

Trump 28%
Cruz 27%
Kasich 23%

Pacific Councilor 1184AZ
1184AZ
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:37:22 pm »
Ignore

Rules
Turn 1 November 15th 2018 (based on cxs018's rules)

To Sign up, post your announcement speech in this thread, it can be a few lines to a few paragraphs, as long as it makes it clear you are running for President.

PM for any endorsements. Please note a maximum of 5 endorsements per turn, endorsements start this turn.  

Post your campaign activities from the time frame given.
 I will post National polls and polls of upcoming primaries at the conclusion of each turn
 I will create news stories using a random number generator  , 1-5 = negative news for a candidate, 46-50 = positive news for a candidate, 6-45 = no impact.

Rules around Primaries and Delegates
All Primaries will be open to the general populace, below are the Schedule  and Delegates  awarded
all primaries are proportional, with a 15% threshold, except for Territories which are WTA.  

March 4th Saskatchewan (77)
March 12th Nova Scotia (69)
March 26th Manitoba (89) ,Alberta (269), Nunavut (2) and PEI (10)
April 8th Quebec (583)
April15th Yukon (2), North West Territories (3), New Brunswick (54), Newfoundland and Labrador (37)
April 25th Ontario (1052)
April 29th BC (324)

Liberals

Conservatives
Maxime Bernier-cxs018
Scott Reid- ChairmanSanchez

NDP

Other
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:44:55 pm by Pacific Councilor 1184AZ »Logged
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 06:43:11 pm »
Ignore

I don't really get it. Will the parliamentary system remain in place, or is Canada becoming a full on presidential republic in the American tradition?

Or are these primaries basically leadership conventions?

Anyway, I'll take Scott Reid.

A Hybrid of Pat Buchanan and Bob Dylan.

Pacific Councilor 1184AZ
1184AZ
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 06:47:32 pm »
Ignore

I don't really get it. Will the parliamentary system remain in place, or is Canada becoming a full on presidential republic in the American tradition?

Or are these primaries basically leadership conventions?

Anyway, I'll take Scott Reid.
A Republic like the USA
Abraham Washington

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -0.52

P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 10:36:40 am »
Ignore

November 15, 2018.

"Good afternoon my friends, my fellow Canadians and members of the press. Today, I will be announcing that I am running for a second term as the President of the Republic of Canada!" [Cheers] "We have come along way since I first began my campaign in 2015 to replace the Conservatives. Many doubted us, many sneered, but we persevered and we triumphed."

"Today, we will contnue the journey we are undertaking as a nation, and a young republic. But I know that our brightest days lie ahead. Canadians have always had great hope for the future and together, we will bravely march foward."

"As one of my favourite Prime Ministers, Wilfred Laurier said, 'Sunny Ways'. If we have optimism for the future, we can acccomplish anything. In 2015, I campaigned on a promise of 'Real Change'. Today, I campaign on continuing the great success and prosperity of the last 4 years. We have turned the economy around and restored Canada's prestiege on the international stage. Together, we create a more perfect Republic, a more transparent government and a brighter future for all Canadians."

"150 years ago, the fathers of Confederation took a bold step, not knowing where it would lead us. Today we are taking a bold step foward, as Republic and as a people. I promise you, we will continue to be the greatest nation on Earth. Sunny ways, my friends!"

President Trudeau will be running for the nomination of the Liberal Party of Canada. alongside running mate Jody-Wilson Raybould.

Abraham Washington

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -0.52

P

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:00:33 pm »
Ignore

Justin Trudeau For President Campaign:

Schedule:

Montreal, QC. 10:00 AM - November 16:

"Canada is back! We have seen quite frankly a tremendous, a transformative change since Harper and the Conservatives left office. Now, I greatly respect our opponents, but they are thinking in the past and are quite simply out of touch. Right now, one of the men running for the Conservative nomination wants to repeal the Official Languages Act, another was knee-deep in the Harper government. I want to unite and inspire Canadians, not divide them. Remember that when you cast your ballot.

Barnstorm in Montreal, QC. - 12:00PM - November 16
Barnstorm in Gatineau, QC. - 1:00PM - November 16
Fundraise in Orleans, ON - 3:00PM - November 16

Liberal Party Convention, Ottawa, ON. 8:00PM - November 16

If we are to win re-election, we must be united as a party. Negativity and diviseness in our primary process will not, and I say will not help us. We must stand united, as a party behind my candidacy if we are to succeed. We must do this if we are to unite Canadians behind us and if we are to continue to prosper!

Calgary, AB. 11:00AM - November 17

We fought for Keystone and Energy East, we invested in new infastructure programs, we fought for Albertans and all Canadians, and I encourage you to unite behind me and we will continue to make you proud, that I promise!

Barnstorming in Calgary, AB - 12:00PM
Campaign stop in Red Deer, AB - 2:30PM
Campaigning in Edmonton, AB - 4:00PM
Fundraiser in Calgary, AB - 6:00PM

Kelowna, BC. 12:00PM - November 18.

It is here where the Kelowna accords were signed and it is here where we renew our commitment to a nation to nation relationship with first nations!

Barnstorming in Kelowna, BC - 2:00PM
Campaign Stop in Kamloops, BC - 5:00PM
Barnstorming in Abbotsford and Chilliwack - 6:00PM
Fundraiser in Vancouver, BC - 8:00PM

Yellowknife, NWT. 9:00AM - November 21

With investment and new oppurtunities, we will make Yellowknife a shining beacon of the north!

Barnstorming in Yellowknife - 2:00PM
Fundraiser in Yellowknife - 5:00PM

Advertisements

Television

"Sunny Ways"

Clip of Justin Trudeau.

Sunny ways, my friends, sunny ways! This is what positive politics can do! ... A positive, optimistic, hopeful vision of public life isn't a naive dream - it can be a powerful force for change. ...

NARRATOR
It is morning again in Canada. At home and abroad we are doing better than ever before, that is what positive politics can do...

NARRATOR
...But... some continue to divide us. We must not allow the politics of division and fear to triumph. President Trudeau is an inspirational man, the kind of man you can get behind.

Wilfred Laurier
If it were in my power, I would try the sunny way. I would approach this man Greenway with the sunny way of patriotism, asking him to be just and to be fair, asking him to be generous to the minority, in order that we may have peace among all the creeds and races which it has pleased God to bring upon this corner of our common country. Do you not believe that there is more to be gained by appealing to the heart and soul of men rather than to compel them to do a thing?

I am Justin Trudeau and I endorse this message.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout