Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 12:34:49 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderators: Bacon King, Dallasfan65)
| | |-+  TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88  (Read 5761 times)
dudeabides
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2014, 11:16:41 pm »
Ignore

November 23, 2007 - Richardson: I'm the candidate of experience, not Daschle

LANSING, MI - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Bill Richardson told voters that he, and not Tom Daschle, is the most experienced presidential candidate. "Tom Daschle and I both served in congress, but while Senator Daschle stayed in congress, I left to lead the Department of Education and I served as U.N. Ambassador to Mexico. I dealt not only with the issues a congress and the President deals with, but also issues on education, economic development, immigration, and international affairs" Richardson told voters. He also slammed Daschle's support for the war in Iraq. "I opposed this war from the start, something Tom Daschle didn't do" he added.

November 28, 2007 - Pryor reconciles moderate record with liberal voters

CHARLESTON, SC - Democratic Presidential Candidate Mark Pryor told voters in South Carolina despite the fact that his record was that of a moderate, he was best fit to represent Democratic primary voters in a general election. Pledging more funding for job training programs and infrastructure, Pryor told Democrats he was one of them despite his pro-life, pro-tradditional marriage positions. "I am with my party on most things, but I'm also not afraid to take on the establishment" Pryor stated.

December 2, 2007 - Corzine funds anti-war rally in D.C. as he leads Democrats in fundraising

WASHINGTON, DC - Former Senator Jon Corzine, seeking the Democratic Presidential Nomination, hosted an anti-war rally outside the U.S. Capitol. 2,000 people attended and speakers included Retired General Wesley Clark, Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, and even Republican Senator Lincoln Chaffee of Rhode Island. Corzine, who out-raised his Democratic opponents, spoke as well.

December 10, 2007 - RNC launches attack ad on Gephardt, Daschle ahead of Iowa Caucus

WASHINGTON, DC - The Republican National Committee launched it's first negative television advertising of the 2008 presidential campaign, focused on Democratic Hopefuls Tom Daschle and Dick Gephardt. The ad attacked their position on the war in Iraq, and questioned their consistency and fitness to serve.

December 15, 2007 - Democratic Primary turns negative between Gephardt, Daschle

IOWA CITY, IA - Democratic presidential front-runners Dick Gephardt and Tom Daschle turned up the heat on one another in Iowa with less than a month to go before the Iowa Caucus. "Tom Daschle advocated for NAFTA, refused to post the minimum wage for a vote twice, voted for the Kean tax cuts for the very rich, and supported tax breaks for big oil, I don't think middle class families can afford what Senator Daschle is offering" Gephardt stated. "Dick Gephardt has now run for President twice unsuccessfully. He has refused to work with members of congress on improving NAFTA and reforming our tax code. We Democrats can't afford to lose another election because America needs strong, steady leadership, not someone who doesn't work well with others" Daschle said of Gephardt. With polling showing the pair ahead nationally and in Iowa, the campaign has turned increasingly negative.

December 15, 2007 - Kean speaks out, praises Dole, Braun, Gephardt, and Daschle

NEW YORK, NY - Former President of the United States Tom Kean praised his successor, but also said kind things about her possible general election opponents. "Elizabeth Dole has done everything she promised she'd do in 2004, and given her tremendous integrity, I'm not surprised" Kean said of Dole, who served as his Vice President prior to her election as President. "There is no question that Carol Moseley Braun is serious about governing, she's quite effective" Kean said. He also said that "Gephardt and Daschle are principled people, I have had my differences with them, but I've also worked with them more often than not" he added.

December 20, 2007 - Braun all in in New Hampshire, Corzine spending in early states, Daschle & Gephardt running national campaigns as Richardson, Pryor struggle for resources

WASHINGTON, DC - With polls showing a tight race between Former Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle and Former House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt, both men have continued to run national campaigns. Gephardt and Daschle have continued to trade barbs in Iowa especially. Governor of Illinois Carol Moseley Braun,  4th in fundraising, has focused heavily on New Hampshire. Braun has run an ideologically free campaign, and analysts say she is an attractive general election candidate. But, she has scarce resources despite having a strong grassroots support network in New Hampshire. Former Senator Jon Corzine, running as the anti-war candidate, has been spending money in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Florida. Corzine leads the candidates in the money race. Meanwhile, Senator Mark Pryor struggles for resources, as he is considered too moderate for many Democratic primary voters. Bill Richardson's campaign has not been able to fundraise like he was earlier in the year. While Daschle and Gephardt rely on name I.D. to carry them nationally, Corzine counts on money, Braun on a strong win in New Hampshire, and both Richardson and Pryor rely on major upsets early on.  

January 4, 2008 - Iowa Caucus: Corzine defies the odds

IOWA CITY, IA - Former Senator Jon Corzine defied all of the presidential odds and won the Iowa caucuses, defeating runner-up Tom Daschle 33%-30%. Carol Moseley Braun placed third with 20%, followed by Dick Gephardt, who won the caucuses twice before, in a distant forth with just 10%. Bill Richardson won 4% as Mark Pryor won 2%. Exit polling showed liberals and those opposing the Iraq war were key to Corzine's victory, though Daschle did well with moderates and Braun won overwhelmingly with voters who considered electability a top concern.

January 7, 2008 - Poll: Democratic Primary a toss-up, nation divided over Dole

Democratic Primary
Tom Daschle 30%
Jon Corzine 28%
Dick Gephardt 20%
Carol Moseley Braun 18%
Bill Richardson 2%
Mark Pryor 1%
Other 1%

Dole Approval
Approve: 48%
Disapprove: 47%

General Election Match-Ups

Carol Moseley Braun 48%
Elizabeth Dole 46%

Tom Daschle 47%
Elizabeth Dole 47%

Elizabeth Dole 48%
Dick Gephardt 47%

Elizabeth Dole 48%
Jon Corzine 44%

January 10, 2008 - Giuliani, Watts stump for Dole in New Hampshire

LEBANON, NH - Senator Rudy Giuliani and House Speaker J.C. Watts stumped for President Elizabeth Dole's re-election campaign in New Hampshire in an effort to win media attention from the ongoing Democratic Presidential primary. "President Dole has worked with me and members of both parties to cap federal spending, cut taxes, and reduce the size of the federal workforce by over 10,000 workers per year for the last three years. My fellow citizens, government is smaller, taxes are lower, and the growth of federal spending is less today than it was in 2005" Speaker Watts stated. "President Dole has made clear her vision for the future based on her record. We'll keep taxes low, exercise fiscal discipline, and we'll fund social security, medicare, our military, and pay down the national debt. The Democratic Candidates have come to New Hampshire to promise you more government for less money. That doesn't make sense. They either want to borrow more, tax more, or they aren't telling you the truth. In fact, Senator Daschle has proposed $500 billion in new spending with no way to pay for it" Senator Giuliani stated.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:27:02 pm by dudeabides »Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout