Chapter 3: Topsy-TurvyMarch 23, 2013
CNN Breaking News:
“Chu Nominates Judge Diane Wood to SCOTUS”
President Chu announced today that he will nominate Diane P. Woods to the Supreme Court. Wood, age 62, has served on the federal appellate court in Chicago since she was appointed to the bench by President Clinton in 1995. As part of a deal negotiated between President Chu and the Senate earlier this month, Wood’s Senate confirmation hearing is expected to be expedited.
Gallup Poll- March 25, 2013
Do you approve or Disapprove of acting President Chu’s job performance?
PPP National Poll- March 26, 2013March 27, 2013
How should the remainder of Barack Obama’s term be filled?
Steven Chu Should remain acting President- 27%
The new House of Representatives should select a president - 53%
The Senate should select a president- 14%
The White House
2:35 PM EST
of the United States
White House Counsel
Head of President Chu’s Supreme Court search committee
Ruemmler: The good news is it looks like Wood’s confirmation is on track. The Senate will fast-track the hearings like we agreed. Might be close, but if our friends keep their promise not to filibuster, we should be fine.
Chu: And the bad news?
Ruemmler: Now we’re at the hard part. The Republicans’ shortlist is about what we expected. Paul Clement, Brett Kavanaugh, Diane Sykes...
Chu: And their first choice is…
Ruemmler: Clement. Do NOT give them Clement.
Chu: Don’t worry. They didn’t give us anyone, you know, older?
Ruemmler: Afraid not. Sykes is the oldest at 55.
Chu: (sigh) Okay, what about our matching pick? Kamala Harris is a hard “No”?
Ruemmler: Pretty much. We’ve reached out. She’s not interested now that she’s a virtual lock in the senate race next year. I still think Jennifer Granholm is a strong pick, but Merrick Garland has experience on the bench, and he might have an easier go of the confirmation hearings.
Chu: There shouldn’t be a confirmation fight. A deal is a deal. I get mine and they get theirs. Package deal. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to give them their 40-something conservative firebrand. Not unless they sweeten the pot. In the News:
- Virginia Governor’s Race- March 27, 2013: Acting Governor Bill Bolling announces he will run for governor as an independent. Terry McAuliffe and Ken Cuccinelli have both stated they will remain in the governor’s race and will not attempt to jump ship in favor of the open senate seats.
- Governor Jan Brewer declares that Arizona’s special election law requires the state to hold house races earlier than the June election date.
- Newt Gingrich declines to state who he would support for President if elected to the House. Says he would be “honored to serve” as Speaker if elected, but “We’ll have to see where we are when the dust settles this June.”
- Washington Post: Could the House Elect Bill Clinton President? Constitutional Scholars Weigh in
- Wall Street Journal: How Much Would an Asteroid Defense System Cost?