Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 06:00:47 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderators: Bacon King, Dallasfan65)
| | |-+  Dust In The Wind
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Dust In The Wind  (Read 36214 times)
Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2012, 07:50:02 pm »

TIME - The President Recovers
February 8th, 1983

After seventy-two hours of an uncertain public, President Jackson’s condition was lowered to stable. He reassumed the Presidency less than a week ago. Acting-President Bentsen had invoked the 25th amendment upon the hospitalization of the President.

The Republican Primary unfolds

Following the news that the President would in fact be okay, Senator Paul Laxalt declared his intention to seek the Presidency, to an enthusiastic crowd of over 8,000 people in Reno, Nevada. Senator Laxalt is the first to declare, and hails from the conservative wing of the party. Senator Charles Mathias of Maryland declared two days later, saying “We must stay the course with our success from the midterm elections,” in his announcement speech.

At a first glance, Senator Mathias would seem to be the favorite of the two. He has over a decade in the Senate under his belt, and won re-election despite Jackson getting over sixty percent of the vote. However, the defeat of Howard Baker in 1980 may give credence to the case of the conservatives, such as Laxalt, who insists “Republicans will only win if we stick to our values, rather than run away from them.”

Polls and conventional wisdom show that the conservative compass points toward Senator Laxalt. One such indicator was the appearance of an aged, but still influential Ronald Reagan, who was at Laxalt’s announcement to show full support. Charles Mathias, however, cannot match the enthusiasm that Laxalt culls, and is far from a unifying figure amongst the moderate wing. Perhaps this primary will be more analogous to 1964 than 1976, but it is far too early to tell.

Declared:
Senator Paul Laxalt (R-NV)
Senator Charles Mathias (R-MD)

Possible:

Senator Bob Dole (R-KS)
Senator William Armstrong (R-CO)
Representative John Anderson (R-IL)
Governor Pete duPont (R-DE)
Senator Mark Hatfield (R-OR)
Governor Dick Thornburgh (R-PA)
Representative Paul Hammerschmidt (R-AR)
Senator Lawrence Coventry (R-VT)
Governor Lee Dreyfus (R-WI)

Declined:

Senator Pete McCloskey (R-CA)
Representative Areus Hok’ee (R-NV)
Senator John Chafee (R-RI)
Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK)

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2012, 08:19:04 pm »
Ignore

Go Laxalt!

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2012, 08:50:46 pm »

To Draft a Paladin: 1983

It was March of 1983, just over a month of when Paul Laxalt had declared for the Republican nomination. Since then, Pete duPont and John Hammerschmidt had also declared, but preliminary polls showed Laxalt up big. Additionally, he had the most endorsements of the field, and was an obvious (if not official) favorite of the Davis Griffin faction; a powerful fundraising outfit.

Thad was meeting with Areus in his office on a brisk afternoon. He was joined by Lawrence Coventry and the three discussed presidential politics, over yet another game of cards where Thad was at his worst. Areus prodded his two friends, asking “So, what do you two think of the presidential election? I am pretty disappointed so far.”

“My vote lies with Mathias, out of those that have declared. He had the temerity and wisdom to oppose the Vietnam War, which cast light in my darkened heart,” said Thad. “His foreign policy is decent, but otherwise he leaves much to be desired. What do you think, Lawrence?” asked Areus. “It’s quite clear that we lack the infrastructure, funds, and bench to win this on our own. However, I consider myself representative of our cause, and will run if it behooves us,” he replied.

“I have been in politics for quite some time, and you have the makings of a President about you. But such a run would be premature, and at best would split the vote, elevating that which we seek to destroy. If you are amicable to supporting somebody outside our group, then we will go to meet with him tonight.” When Thad and Areus heard the man’s name, they nodded in agreement.

Several hours later the three men made their excursion; their destination was only two blocks away from Areus’ manor. The familiarity of the street left Thad taken with nostalgia, and he pondered if it was the same street he and Westman stumbled down, or if his memory had been obscured by drunken haze. No sooner had he begun to reminisce than Areus was knocking at a door.

It opened with a winding groan, and a man stood in the doorway, leaving it ajar. He was of unassuming height, with a black mustache and a matching head of hair, though the bags beneath his gray eyes betrayed his age. In between drags of a freshly lit cigarette, he asked, “Can I help you gentlemen?”

“I am Areus Hok’ee,” he responded, proffering his hand with an insincere smile. “Charmed,” the man responded flatly, reluctantly returning the gesture. “I’m the senior Senator from the armpit of America. The name’s Jeff.” He had an air of brooding and sarcasm to him that Thad found intriguing. “Well, if introductions are out of the way, we’d like to speak to your colleague about some pressing matters,” said Lawrence, as he stepped toward the door.

Jefferson Dent moved aside as if to oblige the three strangers. “While he has no idea, I think I know what this is about. But I’ll leave the details to you,” he responded.

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2012, 12:50:50 am »

Set in Motion: 1983

Thad followed Lawrence through the door, and Jefferson Dent quickly moved ahead of them to act as a guide. It was not long after they went in that he motioned for them to enter a room on their left. Thad noticed a mild scent of cinnamon wafting through the air, as candles dimly lit the room. He saw two silhouettes seated on separate couches, and as he neared he recognized one of them as none other than Senator Mark Hatfield.

Thad was ecstatic upon meeting with his acquaintance, and at once made his obeisance. Hatfield had returned the gesture in kind, before introducing him to the woman to his left: Elizabeth Hager, a freshman representative from New Hampshire. The two hit it off quite well, though their conversation was cut by Areus’ proposal to play cards. All six of them agreed, and before long were quite imbibed, save for the teetotal ling Hatfield.

After two hours of cheers, games, and festivities, the conversation turned political, and Areus was quick to prod Hatfield about his predispositions on the presidential race. “Well, out of those running, I would have to say that Mathias is a fine fellow. But I am not optimistic about his chances,” he said with indifference. “What do you think?” he queried in response. “Well, were there a ballot in front of me, I’d be writing in one Mark Hatfield,” Areus said with a sanguine grin.

Hatfield’s guests all turned towards him, and he blushed while raising his hands, as if to protest. “No, in all seriousness, I think you are the only candidate whose caliber meets the demands of the office,” said Areus. “The current political realities are loathsome at best. The Democrats have gone whole hog and tossed their lot to the warmongerers. Furthermore, Mathias is a fine fellow, but cannot muster formidable opposition to the Griffin consensus.

Polling serves only to reinforce my argument. Currently, Laxalt holds a modest lead over Dole, but an even greater one over Mathias. Were Dole to upset Laxalt, it is still unlikely that he would challenge the Cold War consensus that pervades the nation. You, on the other hand, offer a clear contrast not only to the President, but the primary contenders. You are an esteemed public servant, well liked over the aisle with no violation of ethics. Even William Buckley offered you praise,” Areus said.

When Areus had finished his harangue, Thad went to chime in. “If opposing the policy of this administration is our raison d’etre, then surely you are the only choice. Even Westman preemptively endorsed you.” Jefferson Dent would only build upon Thad’s remarks, saying “Hell, not only would I write you in for President, I’ve already done so. You are one of the few friends I have in the Senate caucus, and I would be an enthusiastic supporter of yours.”

He punctuated his remarks by raising his glass in libation, and the guests joined in. Hatfield modestly smiled, overcome with the pressure that had been placed on him. “I don’t suppose I’ve much of a choice then? All right… as of tomorrow, I’m running for President of the United States.”

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2012, 09:42:07 pm »

TIME – Hatfield enters!
March 15th, 1983

Two weeks ago, the Republican primary received yet another entry by Senator Mark Hatfield, of Oregon. This would be the sixth, in what looks to be an ever-expanding field against a strong incumbent President. Relations between the Mathias and Hatfield camps have reportedly been amicable, but it is unquestionable that the more “moderate” vote is being split with his candidacy.

Senator Bob Dole declared two weeks prior, and was quickly catapulted into second place in national polling, knocking Mathias down to third. Dole has key allies in the Republican Senate leadership, which may prove to his advantage. His prairie-style may also pose a threat to Laxalt in the traditionally conservative plains and Rockies, if he stays above water after the first few primaries.

Declared:
Senator Paul Laxalt (R-NV)
Senator Charles Mathias (R-MD)
Senator Bob Dole (R-KS)
Governor Pete duPont (R-DE)
Representative Paul Hammerschmidt (R-AR)
Senator Mark Hatfield (R-OR)

Possible: 
Governor Dick Thornburgh (R-PA)
Senator Lawrence Coventry (R-VT)
Governor Lee Dreyfus (R-WI)

Declined:
Senator Pete McCloskey (R-CA)
Representative Areus Hok’ee (R-NV)
Senator John Chafee (R-RI)
Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK)
Senator William Armstrong (R-CO)
Representative John Anderson (R-IL)

Polling:
Laxalt: 32%
Dole: 19%
Mathias: 13%
Hatfield: 10%
DuPont: 5%
Hammerschmidt: 2%
Undecided: 19%

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2012, 10:00:58 pm »
Ignore

I'd be happy with Dole or Laxalt, though I think it might go far differently. Wink

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2012, 11:48:10 pm »

Further Down the Pit: 1983

Thad O’Connor sojourn with Senator Hatfield had not ended until four in the morning, and he lazily drudged his way toward the Senate chamber after yet another late Sunday night. He sat down on the bench only to find two members of the body present: Senator Patton Wyde, and a surprisingly vim, yet pugnacious Westman.

Thad had entered in the midst of the Mississippian’s harangue. “… you see, I’m as fond of the Devil’s brew as the Senator is notorious for, but I’ve got the goddamn sense to handle myself. I’m not in college. I’m a married man and a long time public servant. You don’t see that here with a lot of these kids. Seventeen, eighteen, they get liquored up, act a fool, and then get behind the wheel and ruin lives. Hell, we let eighteen year olds vote and we’re still cleaning up the mess that made.”

As the last sentence rolled off Wyde’s tongue, a look of bemusement appeared on Westman’s face. “Dude, did you just seriously question whether eighteen year olds should vote? I’ll act like I didn’t hear that. Concerning the language of this amendment, I’d just like to congratulate the administration on its continued emulation of the early nineteen hundreds,” he paused to enumerate his points.

“The war. The rapid currency manipulation. And hell, now we’re taking a U-turn to the road of prohibition! What’ve you got proposed next, Scoop?!” he brandished his fist angrily toward the domed ceiling. “You’re his puppet, perhaps you could tell me. IS THERE A GODDAMNED DRAFT PLANNED NEXT?!” as he pointed his finger in an accusatory fashion towards Senator Wyde.

At this point Westman was nearly as red as his hair, and the Senate president banged his gavel to restore order. “My apologies, Mr. President. With the rest of my allotted time I’ll get back to the matter at hand. As I heavy-handedly articulated to my colleague moments ago, we are merely diluting the mistakes of the past. The Founders did not intend for us to have a national drinking age; hell, most of our good patriots were drinking underage! Rum was practically materiel.

As we’ve learnt from the twenties, prohibition does not work. It merely enriched the mobsters, elevated the Al Capone’s. With this policy, we’ll only be enriching those that buy alcohol for the underage. I implore the administration and its marionettes in the Senate to cease this assault our freedom. I yield the balance of my time.”

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2012, 04:51:36 pm »

Resolute: 1983

Several hours later, the Senate had voted to pass the National Minimum Drinking Age act, despite the emphatic pleas by Senator Westman. He and Thad met up in the hallway shortly after, exchanging looks of remorse and disappointment. “This hasn’t the least bit of effect on me, yet I have great contempt for those that voted aye. Old men raising the liquor shelf for those deemed old enough to fight and die,” Thad said. “Yeah, that bill is quite a bastard. They’ve stretched the Commerce Clause really thin and I find it frightening,” Westman responded.

Shortly after they met up with Lawrence Coventry. “I share your grief, Senators. But to lift your spirits, Areus wanted me to extend an invite to his estate tonight. There will be a rather discreet party with all of the movers and shakers in D.C. I do believe it’d numb the pain of our disheartening political reality.” He said in a business-like tone.

Several hours later the two went there, and were immediately greeted by the host himself. “This would have been incomplete without you two!” Areus said with a warm smile, wrapping one arm around each of them. He was clear and lucid as a teetotaler, but his scent betrayed his intoxicated state. “I must say that was quite an impressive speech, Westman. You are giving my Mavericks quite a run for their money in statesmanship. But why are you two so glum?”

“Hatfield is in the doldrums of polling, and these past few Congresses have been some of the worst ever. I worked so hard and lost a man I loved dear, only to be on the losing side of nearly any bill.” Thad said, turning his head away in despair. “Thad, these have been tough times,” said Areus. “But I have it on good information that a controversial piece of legislation will be coming up, that could derail Jackson’s presidency.

There is also a task that I would like you to do in your own Maine. But I will give you details tomorrow, I don’t wish to sully the evening with politics.” Thad nodded. “Hey, Thad, that lass over there is giving us the eye. Why don’t we head over there?” said Westman. Thad took umbrage with the suggestion and was visibly uneasy, but agreed.

VOTE ON THE NATIONAL MINIMUM DRINKING AGE ACT OF 1983

Aye: Howell Heflin (D-AL), Ted Stevens (R-AK), Clark Gruening (D-AK), Bob Stump (D-AZ), Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), David Pryor (D-AR), Alan Cranston (D-CA), Lowell Weicker (R-CT), Christopher Dodd (D-CT), Joe Biden (D-DE), Lawton Chiles (D-FL), Richard McPherson (D-FL), Herman Talmadge (D-GA), Daniel Inouye (D-HI), James McClure (R-ID), Alex Seith (D-IL), Dan Rostenkowski (D-IL), Birch Bayh (D-IN), Richard Lugar (R-IN), John Culver (D-IA), Dick Clark (D-IA), Bob Dole (R-KS), Joan Finney (D-KS), Walter Huddleston (D-KY), Wendell Ford (D-KY), Bennett Johnston (D-LA), William Hathaway (D-ME), Paul Sarbanes (D-MD), Carl Levin (D-MI), Walter Mondale (D-MN), David Durenburger (R-MN), Patton Wyde (D-MS), Thomas Eagleton (D-MO), John Danforth (R-MO), Max Baucus (D-MT), James Exon (D-NE), Edward Zorinsky (D-NE), Howard Cannon (D-NV), Thomas McIntyre (D-NH), Clifford Case (R-NJ), Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-NY), Robert B. Morgan (D-NC), Bruce King (D-NM), Harrison Schmidt (R-NM), John Glenn (D-OH), David Boren (D-OK), Wes Watkins (D-OK), Bob Duncan (D-OR), John Heinz (R-PA), John Murtha (D-PA), John Chafee (R-RI), Ernest Hollings (D-SC), Marilyn Lloyd (D-TN), Jim Sasser (D-TN), Bob Krueger (D-TX), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Jake Garn (R-UT) Andrew Miller (D-VA), Jennings Randolph (D-WV), Robert Byrd (D-WV), Gaylord Nelson (D-WI), Alan Simpson (R-WY) (62 Aye)

Nay: Jefferson Dent (ID-AL), Dale Bumpers (D-AR), Pete McCloskey (R-CA), Gary Hart (D-CO), Spark Matsunaga (D-HI), Frank Church (D-ID), Thad O’Connor (R-ME), Mic Ceriel (R-MI), Scott Westman (D-MT), John A. Durkin (D-NH), Millicent Fenwick (R-NJ), John Ingram (D-NC), Quentin Burdick (D-ND), Warren Ford (R-ND), Paul Pfeifer (R-OH), Mark Hatfield (R-OR), Strom Thurmond (R-SC), George McGovern (D-SD), Larry Pressler (R-SD), James Garner (R-TX), Lawrence Coventry (R-VT), Harry Byrd (D-VA), Santiago St. Avila (R-WA), Jasper Morrill (R-WA), William Proxmire (D-WI), Malcolm Wallop (R-WY) (26 Nay)

Not Voting: Bill Armstrong (R-CO), William Roth (R-DE), Sam Nunn (D-GA), Russell B. Long (D-LA), Charles Mathias (R-MD), Ted Kennedy (D-MA), Paul Tsongas (D-MA), John Stennis (D-MS), Paul Laxalt (R-NV), Jacob Javits (R-NY), Claiborne Pell (D-RI), Patrick Leahy (D-VT) (12)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:37:41 pm by Dallasfan65 »Logged

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2012, 12:57:09 am »

A Bandolier of Anvils: 1983

With great trepidation, Thad approached the woman who was looking at him from across the room, and introduced himself after a thrust from Westman’s elbow. “Greetings, I’m Thad. What have I done to catch the attention of a charming young lady such as yourself?” With no words, she arose and grabbed his jacket through her lace glove, with an ostentatious smile. Her red dress seemed to spill over, cascading from her buckled waist like a waterfall, as did her flaxen locks.

“I’m Alice,” she responded. More specifically, she was Alice Luce, daughter of Clare Boothe Luce. Alice was serving her second term as a Representative from Connecticut. Equipped with stilettos, the rather unimposing woman hovered just an inch over Thad. “I must say I’m impressed with your conduct so far,” she went on. Thad was flushed, but kept his composure.

“I must say your reputation precedes you, Alice,” he responded. Alice laughed, and the three of them continued for nearly an hour, with Westman acting as a middleman. Thad was doing smoothly in Westman’s assessment, but Thad abruptly recommended the two go outside for a cigar, and Westman acquiesced.

Thad took a moment to gaze at the sky, as a gibbous moon loomed overhead. He looked up toward it with empathy, for they were both hunched over, buckling under the weight of their dark burdens. “Dude, I thought you didn’t smoke?” asked Westman. “I don’t,” replied Thad. “I just needed to extricate myself from the situation.” Westman looked incredulous. “Extricate yourself? You’re about to get laid, damn it!”

“You know not of what you speak,” replied Thad. “Were I a mere bachelor, unattached and free from the burden of commitment, things may be different. However, there is more to the story. Before I left for Indochina, I worked for the Goldwater campaign. Through that, I met a comely lass by the name of Sarah.”

Westman rolled his eyes, but Thad was too distracted by the moonlit horizon to notice. “A Goldwater Girl in every sense of the word. Her and I were quite taken with each other, and before I left I made a promise to stay true to her, but since coming back it has been an insurmountable task to find her. So, by promise but also by choice, I have self-consciously opted to live the remainder of my days as a bachelor.”

Scott Westman placed a hand on Thad’s shoulder, and looked toward him with a sense of understanding. “Look, I understand that you have personal attachments you’d like to hold on to. I understand that you still love this girl. I understand that you’re still troubled by the loss of Hank. I understand all of that. But you gain nothing by willfully clinging to the demons of the past. Part of life is building upon that and writing a new chapter,” he said with a sentimental grin.

Disregarding Westman’s advice, Thad spent the remainder of the night languishing away at the personal bar, pondering what tasks Areus had outlined for him in the near future.

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2012, 11:40:35 am »

The Calm Before the Storm: 1983

Thad O’Connor awoke feeling as if he had the weight of a safe over his head. His ear peeled off the counter with a sick popping sound, and he noticed a puddle of drool that had collected near his mouth. He journeyed upstairs in search of Areus Hok’ee, only to find him with one woman nestled under each arm. His wedding band gave off a sharp glare, reflecting the morning sun, which had so brazenly eavesdropped through the window. “Why do you bother me at such an ungodly hour, Thad?” he asked.

“Well, I do recall that you alluded to two tasks needing to be done,” responded Thad, who was taken aback at the sight. “Oh, right.” He stood up and began to dress himself. “The first task, more immediate, is that Wyde’s constitutional amendment is looming on the horizon. I expect it to be introduced any day now, and Richard McPherson is an effective whip. Byrd is indifferent, but the Democratic majority will be doing all they can to corral Democrats and peel off a few Republicans. We need to form unified opposition in the Senate debate, and I want you on the front lines, Thad.”

Thad merely nodded in compliance. “As I mentioned, the second task is much more personal,” he continued, snaking his arm through a purple cashmere tunic. “Hathaway is running for re-election, but our real concern is the primary here. As you know, Mayor Crowley is likely to make a bid, and has a fierce war chest. He represents the Dole forces.” Thad responded with guarded optimism, “I would take great satisfaction in ending his political career, but who am I to support?”

Areus’ eyes lit up. “That, my friend, is up to you. Find somebody sympathetic to our cause. A Maverick victory here would be a great way to flex your own political muscle, and demonstrate a sea change in control of the Republican Party.”

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2012, 07:46:30 pm »

The First Pass: 1983

The Senate President looked to one side of the aisle, before saying “The gentle lady of Kansas now has the floor.” A haggard old woman rose from the bench and to the podium. “I thank the President, and also those of you who pay me audience on this day.” As she spoke, her voice was comparable to the sound of a faulty organ.

“Ladies and gentlemen, what we are discussing is not something so trivial as a post office renaming. Nor is it a matter of tweaking the screws to the tax code or putting down a strip of red tape. What we are talking about, like it or not, is the matter of human life. To those on the other camp that can go forth knowing that, I am distraught by your lack of conscience.

I took an oath as Senator to defend and protect the Constitution of the United States. That same constitution outlined several freedoms that we have, including speech, the right to bear arms, and several others. There were also several amendments later passed to improve and clarify the intent of the Constitution. Among those were the thirteenth, fourteenth, and fifteenth.

However, they did not account for the fact that some would distort their purpose and intent. Jefferson warned us of an oligarchic court, and we are seeing that today. While some may find this approach heavy-handed, I say that this is our only recourse, so long as our justices remain unaccountable. As a mother, I could do no less. I yield the balance of my time.”

With that, the Senate President cleared his throat. “And we have next, the Senator from Maine…” his voice trailed off with a hint of disdain at Thad’s shoddy appearance. “Please be brief, Senator.” Thad nervously stepped up to the podium.

“I respect the Senator’s candor, though I find it most unbecoming of one that would defend such a reprehensible bill.

A common tactic used by demagogues on both sides is to malign the intent of their opponents. Whether it is by suggestion that those opposed bathe in the blood of newborn babes, or by implication that those in favor wish to put women in stocks, both sides have historically engaged in gross misrepresentation. However, for all the shades of gray, there is still a black and a white, a right and a wrong. This amendment must still be taken to task, for the piece of jetsam it is.

I am by no means a biologist, and I am even less an obstetrician, which is precisely the reason that I must oppose this amendment. It is far from my trade as a politician to dictate how a woman and her doctor conduct their business. We have seen similar problems with government regulations on agriculture, airlines, and even milk. For all our pomp and arrogance, we do a poor job at micro-managing the jobs of professionals.

More so, one must ponder what this bill would solve. I do agree with the notion that abortion is a troublesome thing. Good intentions are commendable, but will this bill reach its aims? I think not. With a ban, this bill may as well be printed on the boot that kicks women toward the back alleys. Those that are brave enough to peril the shadowy alley will be treated with ridicule and contempt, at the mercy of unscrupulous doctors.

Thus, it is not only for philosophical reasons, but also practical ones that I find this bill unacceptable. I yield the rest of my time to the gentleman from Alabama.”
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:35:12 pm by Dallasfan65 »Logged

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2012, 08:00:05 pm »
Ignore

Hoo boy. Who's the Kansas Senator?

Captain Chaos
GZ67
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2012, 09:49:29 pm »
Ignore

Joan Finney

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2012, 09:50:14 pm »
Ignore

Joan Finney

Oh. Her again. Dallas mentioned her earlier today in a discussion.

Edit: Go Joan!

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2012, 10:58:18 am »

Joan Finney

Oh. Her again. Dallas mentioned her earlier today in a discussion.

Edit: Go Joan!

In this world (far removed from our own) Finney won a Senate election in '78 and spoke at the 1980 DNC.

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2012, 07:59:11 pm »

The Eye: 1983

Later that day, the senate had adjourned and Thad made his way toward the exit. However, just as he left the chamber, a black haired man with a dark complexion, and tired, baggy eyes accosted him. The moment Thad turned toward him the scent of freshly burnt tobacco filled his nostrils. It was Senator Jefferson Dent, who he had last spoken to at Mark Hatfield’s.

“I must say I was impressed with your performance,” said Dent. “It is rather rare that our newbies do so well.” Thad politely nodded, and Dent continued. “Where are you headed, friend?” With a hint of introversion, Thad responded, “I was probably going to Drunken Dutchman.” Dent lit up uncharacteristically with a bit of enthusiasm, quipping, “Well, if you don’t mind, I’d like to come with, as that’s my favorite bar.” Thad acquiesced with a nod.

The two entered the bar, and much to Thad’s surprise thick smog pervaded the air, making it like a stew. “Christ,” he coughed. “Ah, I see you’ve never been here during hookah night?” Dent haughtily laughed. The two made their way to a table with a hookah on it; Dent ordered himself a glass of brandy, and one for Thad too without inquiring as to his preference.

Despite his initial disgust with the brandy, Thad grew more comfortable with Jefferson Dent as the night went on. At one point he bluntly broached the subject, saying “You know, I wasn’t too comfortable with you when we first met,” though was sober enough to regret what he was drunk enough to say. “ “Do go on?” Dent replied with a smirk.

Shrugging off his initial wave of embarrassment, Thad went on, “Well, I do find the fact that you changed parties after burning your last bridge to be a cause of concern, and your reputation for opportunism does precede you.” Jefferson Dent laughed, giving a dismissive wave of his hand. “Following the media hype, Thad. I had thought better of you than that. Let me explain,” he paused for a moment.

“Look, I’ve been around the block a few times. I know the tricks of the trade, and everybody’s predisposition. I had no prayer from the moment I declared, it was just about making a statement to this administration.” Thad looked on with a bit of curiosity, but Dent continued, undaunted. “Fact of the matter is, Thad, I was born into a hardcore Dixiecrat family. I haven’t exactly been twisting in the wind.

I could easily walk the walk, vote for the military funding, et cetera. If anything, the Jackson Presidency would be a godsend to me. But no, I have opposed him lockstep despite being from the same party. Similarly, I am going to be bucking heads with this pro-life amendment. For simplicity’s sake I could just support it and kiss ass to the New Establishment.

Look, Thad. At one point, all that mattered was my bottom line; but I can only be pushed so far before principles take over. Majority leader isn’t worth it if I can’t sleep with a single vote I’ve cast. I’ve effectively screwed myself for re-election unless a Republican tide forgives me and takes me in. Either I’m following my political beliefs, or you just think I’m a horrible politician.”

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2012, 08:03:28 pm »
Ignore

Dent returning to the GOP already was interesting. But hims staying there? Hadn't thought of that. Re-elections in '86 as I recall, so should be enough time to recover from whatever's goin' on.

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 19, 2012, 02:21:03 am »

A Feud Between Neighbors: 1983

The morning after Thad’s excursion, he found himself in the Senate chamber once more. The importance of his task weighed on his mind, and he paid full attention to the matter at hand. Senator Jefferson Dent had just risen to the podium. “Thank you, Mr. Speaker,” he said in a clear, brisk tone unbecoming of a southern senator; though one Thad was familiar with by now. “I will try to be brief, without sacrificing any important details. What we have here is a bill that, noble intentions aside, is fundamentally bad for this country.

Though only recognized in seventy-three, abortion has been going on for far longer in this country. Despite repressive efforts on the state level to ban choice, it went on in the back alleys. Abortion has been going on since at least the Roaring Twenties, and liberalization has only enhanced the safety of such a procedure, not the frequency.

Structurally, this amendment is not sound, either. What if said child is a product of incest, or rape? What if the mother is poor and doesn’t have the means to support such a child? Also, there is a stunning lack of exceptions for brutal birth defects. This bill is well intentioned, but at best is a tourniquet and at worst an albatross. I think such a law is dangerous.

As a father, who cherished his young first through ultrasound and then in his own arms, I have a bit of experience with this issue. I would not be here before this body to argue so emphatically for it if I did not believe it so myself. I yield the balance of my time.”

Following that, the young, vivacious, broad shouldered senator from Mississippi rose to the podium from the other side. A thick sweat glazed over his face, which had a reddish hue to it, as if he’d been drinking all morning. It was Senator Patton Wyde.

“Ladies and gentlemen of the US Senate, I speak before you here today. I speak about the infant in pain, yet it cannot cry. I speak about the life cut short before its first breath. I speak about the life denied the rights guaranteed by our creator. Today, I speak about the purpose of this bill.

What we have here is a fundamental disagreement on what constitutes choice and what constitutes a human life. Our forefathers enshrined to us, every individual, a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. They had no personal stake in The Revolution, yet they offered coin, life, and limb. For such magnanimous men to risk their livelihood, surely these values must be important?

Do not let the distortions of the misplaced senator from Alabama confuse you. Simply because abortions went on in back alleys does not justify legalizing them. Are we to legalize murders simply because they happen in back alleys? Are we to legalize drugs simply because they are dealt and done in back alleys? I implore my fellow senators to take a bold stance in favor of life.”

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 19, 2012, 12:26:44 pm »
Ignore

Patton Wyde seems like an intelligent and reasonable man.

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2012, 08:32:25 pm »

This is most gratifying for you to say this, since these senate debates required a good deal of playing Devil's Advocate and I did not want to misrepresent the other side.

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2012, 08:39:12 pm »
Ignore

This is most gratifying for you to say this, since these senate debates required a good deal of playing Devil's Advocate and I did not want to misrepresent the other side.

Well you've got me convinced. On the other hand, and maybe it's just my ideology clouding my vision or something, I don't really see the whole kicker of ol' Jeffy boy's argument.

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 20, 2012, 12:46:58 am »

Pompa: 1983

After the senate had adjourned their session, Thad made his way to Areus’ estate. Areus Ho’kee, who was unusually anxious, quickly greeted him at the door, and bade him to go to the next room. Thad was quite surprised to find Scott Westman, Jefferson Dent, Lawrence Coventry, and several other colleagues of his already there. Scott motioned for Thad to have a seat on an adjacent couch, and seamlessly included him into the conversation.

“So Thad, how do you think you did?” asked Westman. “Pretty good, I think,” Thad meekly replied. Lawrence turned his gaze over the whole room, as if to inspect them, before asking “Everybody here in opposition, right?”  Everybody merely nodded and hummed in unison, before Westman spoke up once more. “I have to say, Lawrence, this vote was pretty tough for me. But my mind’s made up, and I’ll be voting against.”

Just as Westman had said that, Ho’kee reentered the room. “What’s the status on our opposition, Lawrence?” he asked. “Shaky,” responded Lawrence. “Even those sympathetic to our clique are wavering, such as Warren Ford and James Garner. Mark is also undecided.” Ho’kee merely growled while his face clenched in consternation, and as he did so his wine glass shattered. Thad arose and brandished his palms, urging Areus to calm down.

“If it helps to assuage your concerns, Stevens is voting against the amendment,” Coventry continued. “Also, a handful of Democrats are defecting. Atleast two dozen,” chimed in Dent. “Well, all I can say is, this is the last stop gap. I lack the numbers in the House, and even if a supermajority is blocked, this will still be a defeat unless the nays outnumber the ayes,” said Areus, before storming off to replenish his glass.

VOTE ON THE FEDERAL RIGHT TO LIFE AMENDMENT:

Aye: Howell Heflin (D-AL), Clark Gruening (D-AK), Bob Stump (D-AZ), Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), David Pryor (D-AR), Bill Armstrong (R-CO), Lawton Chiles (D-FL), Richard McPherson (D-FL), Sam Nunn (D-GA), Herman Talmadge (D-GA), James McClure (R-ID), Alex Seith (D-IL), Richard Lugar (R-IN), Bob Dole (R-KS), Joan Finney (D-KS), Walter Huddleston (D-KY), Wendell Ford (D-KY), Bennett Johnston Jr (D-LA), Russell B. Long (D-LA), John Stennis (D-MS), Patton Wyde (D-MS), Thomas Eagleton (D-MO), James Exon (D-NE), Edward Zorinsky (D-NE), Paul Laxalt (R-NV), Howard Cannon (D-NV), Bruce King (D-NM), Harrison Schmidt (R-NM), Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-NY), Robert B. Morgan (D-NC), John Ingram (D-NC), David Boren (D-OK), Wes Watkins (D-OK), Bob Duncan (D-OR), John Heinz (R-PA), John Murtha (D-PA), Strom Thurmond (R-SC), Larry Pressler (R-SD), Marilyn Lloyd (D-TN), Jim Sasser (D-TN), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Andrew Miller (D-VA), Harry Byrd (D-VA), Robert Byrd (D-WV), Jennings Randolph (D-WV) (45)

Nay: Jefferson Dent (ID-AL), Ted Stevens (R-AK), Dale Bumpers (D-AR), Alan Cranston (D-CA), Pete McCloskey (R-CA), Gary Hart (D-CO), Lowell Weicker (R-CT), Christopher Dodd (D-CT), Joe Biden (D-DE), William Roth (R-DE), Daniel Inouye (D-HI), Spark Matsunaga (D-HI), Frank Church (D-ID), Dan Rostenkowski (D-IL), Birch Bayh (D-IN), John Culver (D-IA), Dick Clark (D-IA), William Hathaway (D-ME), Thad O’Connor (R-ME), Charles Mathias (R-MD), Ted Kennedy (D-MA), Paul Tsongas (D-MA), Mic Ceriel (R-MI), Walter Mondale (D-MN), David Durenburger (R-MN), John Danforth (R-MO), Scott Westman (D-MT), Thomas McIntyre (D-NH), John A. Durkin (D-NH), Harrison Williams (D-NJ), Millicent Fenwick (R-NJ), Jacob Javits (R-NY), Quentin Burdick (D-ND), John Glenn (D-OH), Paul Pfeifer (R-OH), Claiborne Pell (D-RI), John Chafee (R-RI), George McGovern (D-SD), Bob Krueger (D-TX), Jake Garn (R-UT), Lawrence Coventry (R-VT), Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Santiago St. Avila (R-WA), Jasper Morrill (R-WA), William Proxmire (D-WI), Gaylord Nelson (D-WI), Malcolm Wallop (R-WY), Alan Simpson (R-WY) (48)

Not Voting:
Paul Sarbanes (D-MD), Carl Levin (D-MI), Max Baucus (D-MT), Warren Ford (R-ND), Mark Hatfield (R-OR), Ernest Hollings (D-SC), James F. Garner (R-TX) (7)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:56:43 am by Dallasfan65 »Logged

--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 20, 2012, 12:55:17 am »
Ignore

Hatfield rescuing himself seems to be pretty plausible. On one hand, he was quite pro-life. On the other, hard to see him getting onboard with certain elements.
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2012, 07:21:02 am »
Ignore

James Garner's in the Senate!?

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 20, 2012, 08:54:51 am »

James Garner's in the Senate!?

James "Fergie" Ferguson Garner, a nephew of Cactus Jack. His '82 election to Bentsen's vacated seat was seen as a big win for Republicans.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:56:42 am by Dallasfan65 »Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout