Not too interesting, a bit of local news for London
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:34:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Not too interesting, a bit of local news for London
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Not too interesting, a bit of local news for London  (Read 2104 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2004, 04:36:44 PM »

Schools chief quits over 'racist' remark
By Mira Bar-hillel And Oliver Finegold, Evening Standard
6 December 2004

One of London's biggest local authorities was at the centre of a race row today after a senior councillor was forced to resign as its education chief.

Bob Skelly had said that Caribbean schoolboys needed "booster lessons in English" and attacked them for a "lack of commitment to education".

Mr Kelly, who was executive member for education at Southwark, claimed his words had been taken out of context.

But race campaigners said the remarks were "outrageous" and called for him to apologise. The council is already facing allegations of institutional racism from black businesses in the borough.

Mr Skelly had been asked by opposition councillors what he was doing to address the performance of Caribbean schoolboys. He replied: "Every evening I go out in a big van and kidnap some Caribbean boys. I berate them about their lack of commitment to education and give them a booster lesson in English."

A spokesman for the National Assembly Against Racism said: "Someone in his position should know better."

Mr Skelly said his remarks were "obviously tongue in cheek and said as a joke". Asked about his resignation, he added: "I'm going into territory that I don't want to talk about."

Council leader Nick Stanton said: "Mr Skelly's comments were crass and stupid. He has been suspended from the local Liberal Democrat group."

It comes after black business owners claimed they were being "ethnically cleansed" to allow the gentrification of parts of the borough. An independent inquiry is investigating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy used to teach me english - I am absolutely certain that this was meant as a joke and not at all as a racist comment as anyone he taught would tell you. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies