I can't see how Huntsman makes it out of a GOP primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:30:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  I can't see how Huntsman makes it out of a GOP primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I can't see how Huntsman makes it out of a GOP primary  (Read 1495 times)
TerroristFistJab
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »

he's basically  a 2007 Romney with an Obama administration credentials.

on health care he supported the individual mandate. He supported cap and trade. He supports civil unions. When he adapts  his current message to run for President he will have to change his stance on these issues and will then  be labeled  a flip flopper just like Romeny was in 2008.

not mention he will struggle  with the same Mormon skepticism  that Romney struggled with 2008 as well.

in 2010 Charlie Crist was ostracized for the 'Obama hug' and his support for the stimulus. THe chances of Obama admin member like Hustsman, who also supported the stimulus, winning a GOP primary are not likely.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »

Wow man! You just discovered America!

Well, not really.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »

If Huntsman runs in 2012, it will be to set up for another run in the future.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »

He won't because he basically governed as a Crist style Republican in the most Conservative state in the country. Romney at least has the excuse of having some controversies with his record because Massachusetts is in the top five most liberal states. Despite that, Romney managed to cut taxes and balance the budget even with a Democratic supermajority. Of course no one in the beltway ever mentions that because they would much rather demean him for his work with healthcare and abortion shift. I don't see religion being an issue next year. Obama is probably the most irreligious president the country has seen in over a century, and evangelicals are going to hold their nose and vote for a Mormon if it means throwing him out.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »

I never knew of his support of the individual mandate and cap and trade. Guess who I won't be supporting? Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »

I never knew of his support of the individual mandate and cap and trade. Guess who I won't be supporting? Tongue
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »

Huntsman on Cap-and-Trade:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I could debate you on the individual mandate but this isn't the place for it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »

Nearly every single Republican supported cap and trade and the individual mandate before the Democrats took up those causes and the GOP mindlessly opposed them on principle. If Obama had championed single-payer and a carbon tax you people would be forcefully arguing for a freedom-protecting individual mandate and the free market reforms of cap and trade.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 05:40:06 PM »

oh hai derek
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »

Huntsman is running for 2016, when the Tea Party will have died down. He's getting his name out there this time.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »

Huntsman is running for 2016, when the Tea Party will have died down. He's getting his name out there this time.

Better to give it a try now though, get everything out of the closest, really get ID, and get money contacts. He's really not exciting, so waiting 2012 out I don't think will help him much because I don't see people chanting for him in 2016
milhouse24
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »

I think a Romney-Daniels ticket would be competitive.  Daniels will still need to be persuaded to be the VP nominee but I think he will take it.

T-Paw-Daniels would also be a good ticket.  But maybe too much midwest and not enough Mountain states.  Maybe T-Paw would pick Romney or Huntsman as VP.  That could work.

Of course a Romney-Bush or T-Paw-Bush Ticket would be unbeatable.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 08:23:54 PM »

Does Huntsman help himself in 2016 if he doesn't win any states this time around?  No evidence to suggest he does particularly.  Maybe if Palin, Huckabee or Glenn Beck endorsed him, he'd be able to do something, but I think he has too many problems to get anywhere: the biggest one that he wrote Obama a note calling him a remarkable leader.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »

Nearly every single Republican supported cap and trade and the individual mandate before the Democrats took up those causes and the GOP mindlessly opposed them on principle. If Obama had championed single-payer and a carbon tax you people would be forcefully arguing for a freedom-protecting individual mandate and the free market reforms of cap and trade.

I wouldn't say 'nearly every,' but knowing the true conservatives in the RNC I wouldn't dispute that.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 01:16:07 AM »

Huntsman is just getting his name out there, like everyone with presidential ambitions in modern memory. Obama was likely doing the same, but he caught fire and outpaced Clinton. So of course it can happen that testing the waters leads to the presidency but the dynamics don't seem right in the Republican party. One faction wants to make this into a purity test, the other end of it hopes Romney is the last man standing.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:46 AM »

Obama is probably the most irreligious president the country has seen in over a century...

Not true sir! He is a devout Muslim.

T-Paw-Daniels would also be a good ticket. 

Yeah, especially for the critical voting bloc of insomniacs.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:45:10 PM »

Btw, Huntsman says he won't be participating in the June 13th debate in NH, because he won't have made up his mind on whether to run or not by then:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/55862.html
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »

I too would debate some of the OP's points, but I do think Huntsman's challenge is to win the primary without making himself a Romney-style hypocrite.  If he figures that out, the general is pretty straightforward, I think.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 01:02:06 PM »

He doesn't. He hopes to make it out as the VP choice or as a frontrunner in 2016.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »

He doesn't. He hopes to make it out as the VP choice or as a frontrunner in 2016.

He would have even less of a shot in 2016. If whoever the Republicans nominate in 2012 loses to Obama, they are likely to have an incredibly strong, diverse, and Conservative bench come 2016. Are primary voters seriously going to vote for Huntsman when they could vote for Christie, Hoeven, Haley, Snyder, Rubio, or McDonnell?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »

He would have even less of a shot in 2016. If whoever the Republicans nominate in 2012 loses to Obama, they are likely to have an incredibly strong, diverse, and Conservative bench come 2016. Are primary voters seriously going to vote for Huntsman when they could vote for Christie, Hoeven, Haley, Snyder, Rubio, or McDonnell?

If whoever the Republicans nominate in 2008 loses to Obama, they are likely to have an incredibly strong, diverse, and Conservative bench come 2012.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies