Rick Perry May Run After All
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:28:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rick Perry May Run After All
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Rick Perry May Run After All  (Read 9863 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »
« edited: May 27, 2011, 12:56:30 PM by Dick Whitman »

Didn't see any other thread on this . . .

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-05-27/rick-perry-might-run-for-2012-presidential-race/?cid=hp:mainpromo1

I can't see him, Palin, and Bachmann running. That would divide their target audience three ways. I suppose that's never really stopped ambition before though.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »

With the current weak cast of GOP characters he's probably thinking "why the hell not!".
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2011, 01:36:53 PM by Joementum »

But the field gets winnowed fairly quickly once the voting starts.  Presumably, after the first couple rounds, you lose some candidates with similar appeal.  Like in 2008, Giuliani didn't end up hurting McCain in NY and CA to Romney's benefit.  He ended up endorsing him.  I doubt there'll be room for Palin, Bachmann, Cain, Pawlenty and Perry past Florida if not sooner.  And the one who wins those playoffs (I say Perry definitely the favorite if he gets in; best-funded, least attacked by establishment, least gaffe-prone by default) has a good chance to pull in the supporters of the others.  Which is why I'm saying it's very possible we'll see something unprecedented: Romney sweep the first 4 or 5 states yet still struggle to win the nomination.

EDIT: Perry spokesman throws water.
http://nationaljournal.com/politics/perry-spokesman-the-governor-has-no-intention-of-running-for-president--20110527
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »

Just because he doesn't have the "intention" to run for president doesn't mean he's not considering it. Oh, the words of politics.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:43:17 PM »

He'd be one of two hopefuls with military service.

The other is Ron Paul.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »

He'd possibly be our best shot in the general election.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »

Have you gone hunting together?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »

redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »

Rick Perry is quite a tempting candidate for Republicans to nominate, but I'm just concerned that the Democrats would launch a smear campaign reminding voters of how bad the last two presidents from Texas were (although they weren't actual native born Texans but from Connecticut Wink ).
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »

The GOP's best shot for playing out The West Wing's Presidential election of 2002 maybe.

for those who don't remember that TV election or not familiar with the show, here are the results:
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 03:07:36 PM »

The GOP's best shot for playing out The West Wing's Presidential election of 2002 maybe.

for those who don't remember that TV election or not familiar with the show, here are the results:

Why do you think he would do so badly? He has a successful record of job creation and economic growth in his state, has the charisma and the looks to be elected president, and wide experience with public service.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »

Doesn't Perry poll weakly in Texas for a Republican? How could he be the GOP's best shot in the general?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 03:40:33 PM »

Why do you think he would do so badly? He has a successful record of job creation and economic growth in his state, has the charisma and the looks to be elected president, and wide experience with public service.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/04/17/0417gop.html
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »

Rick Perry is what you'd get if you combined all the weaknesses of Romney, Palin, and Pawlenty (name recognition and "excitement" factor) with none of the strengths thereof.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/04/17/0417gop.html

I don't think that will be much of an issue in a general election campaign.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »

Oh? A candidate for President of the United States who said that he'd be fine seceding from the United States isn't going to be an issue?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2011, 04:05:49 PM by Jbrase »

He is one of the reasons I stopped sporting the blue avatar last year. Cronyism, TexDOT and TexDPS are terribly run, he supported the trans-Texas Corridor. And then his most evil trait, him and the death penalty:

Cameron Todd Willingham was executed in 2004 for allegedly starting a fire to murder his children. Investigators found no evidence of Arson and yet Perry had this to say before he allowed him to be executed
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Even though there was scientific evidence to the contrary.

Another tragic case is Robert Lee Thompson. He and some other guy held up a convenience store. the other guy shot the clerk killing him. key part of the story here is Thompson DID NOT SHOOT THE CLERK. Well the actual shooters jury gave him life in prison. Thompson, who we all should know by this point did not shoot anyone, was given the death penalty. Despite the parole board recommending that Perry commute his sentence because he didn't kill anyone, Perry wanted to look tough on crime an refused. 

There is no reason to like Rick Perry.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »

He is one of the reasons I stopped sporting the blue avatar last year. Cronyism, TexDOT and TexDPS are terribly run, he supported the trans-Texas Corridor. And then his most evil trait, him and the death penalty:

Cameron Todd Willingham was executed in 2004 for allegedly starting a fire to murder his children. Investigators found no evidence of Arson and yet Perry had this to say before he allowed him to be executed
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Even though there was scientific evidence to the contrary.

Another tragic case is Robert Lee Thompson. He and some other guy held up a convenience store. the other guy shot the clerk killing him. key part of the story here is Thompson DID NOT SHOOT THE CLERK. Well the actual shooters jury gave him life in prison. Thompson, who we all should know by this point did not shoot anyone, was given the death penalty. Despite the parole board recommending that Perry commute his sentence because he didn't kill anyone, Perry wanted to look tough on crime an refused. 

There is no reason to like Rick Perry.

I believe Perry already broke a record for most executions under one Governor.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 04:19:54 PM »

I believe Perry already broke a record for most executions under one Governor.

Which has something to do with him breaking another record among Texas governors: length of service.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »

Incidentally, I find his signature amusing:

It's like he only just learned how to write his name in cursive.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »

A secessionist is not getting elected President of the United States. End of story.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 04:44:26 PM »

The shots most relevant to the 2012 election may be a pair taken in Abbottabad, Pakistan early this month.

stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »

Those who haven't lived in Texas are probably unaware of the extent to which Rick Perry is a half-baked ass-clown. He's been blessed with an incompetent state opposition party and have an unrivaled state-wide political machine in his corner since he was first elected. All of that considered, he still only managed to get reelected with 39% in 2006 against a field of less than inspiring candidate. He did manage 54% last year, but I think that is largely because Bill White is secretly imaginary (judging by his campaign style).

Long story short, Perry would probably make an ass out of himself and lose in fantastic fashion. I mean, just listen to him speak for more than two minutes and you'll know what I mean.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »

That doesn't look like I remember it. Didn't Bartlet also lose Nebraska and Louisiana?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »

That doesn't look like I remember it. Didn't Bartlet also lose Nebraska and Louisiana?
I got it from the west wing wikia
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies