I cast my first ballot ! (attention whoring)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:11:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I cast my first ballot ! (attention whoring)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I cast my first ballot ! (attention whoring)  (Read 1071 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »

Yeah, I did. Smiley

It was a vote for the four Italian referendums that will be hold on June 12 for residents. In Italy, referendums are hold to repeal existing laws. This year, there is a referendum to repeal Berlusconi's judicial fix, one against the reintroduction of nuclear energy, and the last two regarding privatization of water companies. I voted yes (to the repeal) for all four.

Italians abroad cast their votes by mail, so I received my ballots, filled them and posted them. FYI, here's what a ballot looks like :

(of course you can imagine nobody ever reads that Grin)

What sucks with Italian referendums is that they are valid only if the turnout is above 50%... and that hasn't happened since the 1980s at least. That's a silly rule which makes it more beneficial for opponents not to cast a vote and undermines most initiatives. But I'm hopeful that this time it could be different and we will see a strong mobilization.

Anwyays... That's a great moment for me, and now I've really the feeling to be a true actor of politics and not only a spectator. I know a vote matters nothing in massive democracies like ours, but this "nothing" is very important to me. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »

Damn people with double citizenships Tongue
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »

I wouldn't call "nothing." It's just a very, very small something Tongue

Seriously though, that's cool.  From your description, I hope they all pass.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »

I love my dual citizenship. Voting in two countries is great. Smiley

First votes are even better, Antonio. Congratulations. No comment to how you voted Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »

Yeah, I did. Smiley

It was a vote for the four Italian referendums that will be hold on June 12 for residents. In Italy, referendums are hold to repeal existing laws. This year, there is a referendum to repeal Berlusconi's judicial fix, one against the reintroduction of nuclear energy, and the last two regarding privatization of water companies. I voted yes (to the repeal) for all four.

Italians abroad cast their votes by mail, so I received my ballots, filled them and posted them. FYI, here's what a ballot looks like :

(of course you can imagine nobody ever reads that Grin)

What sucks with Italian referendums is that they are valid only if the turnout is above 50%... and that hasn't happened since the 1980s at least. That's a silly rule which makes it more beneficial for opponents not to cast a vote and undermines most initiatives. But I'm hopeful that this time it could be different and we will see a strong mobilization.

Anwyays... That's a great moment for me, and now I've really the feeling to be a true actor of politics and not only a spectator. I know a vote matters nothing in massive democracies like ours, but this "nothing" is very important to me. Smiley

That does indeed seem like an extraordinarily dumb law.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:49:16 AM »

Nice.  Fulfilling your civic duties always makes you feel good.  Though, it being an Italian ballot... your vote will probably be changed, disappeared, and refound several times before it officially gets counted. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 03:18:11 AM »

Thank you guys ! Smiley Now next step will likely be the French PS primaries, this September. Of course you can imagine I was a lot more enthusiastic about them 15 days ago... Tongue

I love my dual citizenship. Voting in two countries is great. Smiley

Indeed, there's twice as much fun. Smiley Especially since France and Italy have quite frequent elections...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hehe, I knew you'd say that. Wink We can still agree for the 1st ballot, though.

Nice.  Fulfilling your civic duties always makes you feel good.  Though, it being an Italian ballot... your vote will probably be changed, disappeared, and refound several times before it officially gets counted. Tongue

Yes, everything can happen there. Grin But remember, Italians abroad are those who gave Prodi his majority in 2006.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:22:50 PM »

Congrats, Antonio!!
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 04:17:12 AM »

I'm as jealous as Kal Grin.

Though Italy wouldn't be that fun for me, as I'd be forced to vote with the left quite frequently Tongue.

France and the US would be the better combination of course, though France and the UK, France and the Netherlands, France and Poland, France and Czech Republic would be funny too.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 07:44:02 AM »

Indeed, there's twice as much fun. Smiley Especially since France and Italy have quite frequent elections...

Yes. Same for U.S. and Germany. Considering that federal/state/local elections all happen at different times both in the U.S. and Germany (not to mention the primaries in the U.S.) leads to very frequent voting.

I've voted 11 times since turning 18. And I'm only turning 21 this summer....Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:56:22 AM »

This is an outrage. Privileged people like Antonio have two votes, while we have just one Sad
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »

Dual nationality is fun! It would be more fun if it was a cool country like Spain instead of Canada which is filled with waste of sperm politicians though.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »

Dual nationality is fun! It would be more fun if it was a cool country like Spain instead of Canada which is filled with waste of sperm politicians though.

Now, you need to think and answer yourself if you're more royal to H.R.H. Old German Housewife or His Majesty Co-Prince of Andorra.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »

I think Germany is the country with "waste of sperm" politicians right now....especially the opposition, but also increasingly the government Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »

I think Germany is the country with "waste of sperm" politicians right now....especially the opposition, but also increasingly the government Smiley

Sorry, Germans, but you can't compete with your eastern neighbours.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 10:29:53 AM »

Any Italian that ends up living in France shouldn't be allowed to hold their Italian citizenship.  Tongue

Anyway, I'm guessing turnout didn't hit 50%. I have quite a few leftist Italian friends that went on and on about the "Sė" campaigns but never posted the results. Unless they just got too distracted by the huge wins in the municipal elections.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »

Any Italian that ends up living in France shouldn't be allowed to hold their Italian citizenship.  Tongue

Anyway, I'm guessing turnout didn't hit 50%. I have quite a few leftist Italian friends that went on and on about the "Sė" campaigns but never posted the results. Unless they just got too distracted by the huge wins in the municipal elections.

...or maybe it's because the referenda votes aren't until June. There are way too many elections within a month in Italy.  Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »

...or maybe it's because the referenda votes aren't until June. There are way too many elections within a month in Italy.  Tongue

LOL Grin

Yeah, referendums on 12-13 june. And indeed, we are starting to talk about them now, especially because yesterday's wave could give it the momentum necessary to hit the 50% threshold. I'm realist, I know it's extremely hard to pass it, especially because the opponents will abstain instead of voting no. But today I've enough reasons to be optimist. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies