Revival Proposal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:26:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Revival Proposal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Author Topic: Revival Proposal  (Read 37051 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »

I wasn't around for the previous attempts to start this game up, but it seems like a really novel idea; one which people took care to think out beforehand. If there is enough interest, I'd love to help get this thing running again.
I propose that the next mock Parliament be set in an alternate USA with a Westminister system, if this gets off the ground.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2013, 10:55:39 PM »

I wasn't around for the previous attempts to start this game up, but it seems like a really novel idea; one which people took care to think out beforehand. If there is enough interest, I'd love to help get this thing running again.
I propose that the next mock Parliament be set in an alternate USA with a Westminister system, if this gets off the ground.

I'd be open to that.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #202 on: June 29, 2013, 02:25:22 AM »

Why, we already have an almost done fictional country for this game?
If we want to play in America 2.0 we have Atlasia.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »

Why, we already have an almost done fictional country for this game?
If we want to play in America 2.0 we have Atlasia.
Atlasia is not comparable to the United States. This would be a more serious game, with less randomness. Plus Atlasia has the same system the United States already has.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »

Or...we could do a simulation of the Her Royal Majesty's Parliament of the Confederate States of America in the present-day operating under the assumption that the CSA becomes a British dominion shortly after achieving its independence in the American Civil war.  Just an idea...  Tongue

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »

Or...we could do a simulation of the Her Royal Majesty's Parliament of the Confederate States of America in the present-day operating under the assumption that the CSA becomes a British dominion shortly after achieving its independence in the American Civil war.  Just an idea...  Tongue

This isn't a bad idea either. I am open to any sort of setting, whether it's the U.S.A., hypothetical Confederate States, or the entirely fictional island (Antillia). What we need is something that would be both engaging and bring in enough active players to keep it going.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: July 02, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

So I move we create a Mock Parliament Revival Committee of Correspondence to help bring in new players and get this ball rolling.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #207 on: July 02, 2013, 11:14:25 PM »

So I move we create a Mock Parliament Revival Committee of Correspondence to help bring in new players and get this ball rolling.

Good.  But what are we doing exactly?  A strict re-launch, or are we creating something new?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »

If there's a desire to do this I'll help out again. I suggest you don't go for a US setting. Indeed it may be better to aim small and perhaps emulate the political system of a small European nation or of the UK/Canada/Australia etc.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »

If there's a desire to do this I'll help out again. I suggest you don't go for a US setting. Indeed it may be better to aim small and perhaps emulate the political system of a small European nation or of the UK/Canada/Australia etc.
The US would need the level of activity Atlasia has. It would be too ambitious of a project.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2013, 03:54:11 PM »

What about UKatlasia? Tongue
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: July 03, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »

Works fine by me. It's a small enough island that we could get enough players to stick with it.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #212 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »

I'd prefer Australia, as it's a smaller system than the UK, and easier to understand, although either would be fine. We just need something with a preexisting framework that won't be too difficult to follow through with.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #213 on: July 03, 2013, 10:31:01 PM »

I'd prefer Australia, as it's a smaller system than the UK, and easier to understand, although either would be fine. We just need something with a preexisting framework that won't be too difficult to follow through with.

Honestly, after signing up for every single reboot of Antillia, building off the template of a pre-existing country sounds great.  Sure!  Australia might work.  Or New Zealand?  Or maybe we could pick some obscure country with an interesting history.
Cappuccino
Rookie

« Reply #214 on: July 04, 2013, 01:11:35 AM »

I wasn't around for the earlier attempts at revival, but it sounds as though creating a fictional country from scratch is a little difficult. I'm obviously a bit biased, but I think a mock Australian Parliament could work well, potentially responding to real-time, real world events impacting Australia. The country's political landscape is pretty simple and for easier management we could hold elections with PR rather than a Westminster System. How many people would be interested in an Australian reboot?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2013, 02:51:34 AM »

I wasn't around for the earlier attempts at revival, but it sounds as though creating a fictional country from scratch is a little difficult. I'm obviously a bit biased, but I think a mock Australian Parliament could work well, potentially responding to real-time, real world events impacting Australia. The country's political landscape is pretty simple and for easier management we could hold elections with PR rather than a Westminster System. How many people would be interested in an Australian reboot?

Probably won't be elections. There never were in Mock Parliament, it was more a government simulation than an electoral one. We also never really had enough people to do elections anyway and when someone is out, what could they do in Parliament?
Cappuccino
Rookie

« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2013, 04:36:53 AM »

I wasn't around for the earlier attempts at revival, but it sounds as though creating a fictional country from scratch is a little difficult. I'm obviously a bit biased, but I think a mock Australian Parliament could work well, potentially responding to real-time, real world events impacting Australia. The country's political landscape is pretty simple and for easier management we could hold elections with PR. How many people would be interested in an Australian reboot?

Probably won't be elections. There never were in Mock Parliament, it was more a government simulation than an electoral one. We also never really had enough people to do elections anyway and when someone is out, what could they do in Parliament?

That's fair enough, it's probably something worth discussing though if we can get this off the ground and more people are involved. If we did do elections, they'd presumably be quite regular (every three/six months?), and would be roughly simulated rather than entirely based on raw voting. If they were close together people wouldn't have to wait that long if they lost their seats. And if we are using a Westminster system, time outside of parliament could be spent campaigning for their party's pre-selection for seats, lobbying parliament or even assisting the GM in managing the elections on the side.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »

I'd start it based on Australia, with 15 fully committed original players given specific roles to choose from, and then add more in as necessary.

Speaker, also gamerunner
PM
OL
DPM, plus ministry
SOL, plus ministry
Treasurer
STres
FA, Defence and Trade
SFA, Defence and Trade
AG + Immigration
SAG +Immi
Health and Community Services
SHealth and CS
"Infrastructure" (Comms, Transport, Housing etc.)
SInf
Enviro, Resources, Water etc.
SEnviro

The DOL and DPM choose one of the ministries in addition to their role.

Anyone else is a backbencher, and can be promoted to a ministry if someone steps out.

Once we have fifteen committed players and the game has been running for a while, we can broaden the frontbenches and the process a bit, and maybe bring in the Greens, and separate the coalition into Libs and Nats, etc.

The Speaker is basically the GM.

I'd also suggest people take on a specific electorate, and then the Speaker runs a mock election in which our players win their seats but people don't know who'll end up governing until the game starts. So, say, I signed up for the seat of Jagajaga, I could reasonably assume I'd be Labor and win my seat, but have no idea if I'd be governing or not. If I wanted to be flexible about the party I was representing but definitely wanted to be in government, I'd likely choose Eden-Monaro. If I wanted to be coalition, maybe something like Durack or Berowra.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »

We could always form our own parties and place summaries into a thread with a poll in the individual politics section to attract more players and get more votes, and award seats based on PR from the results.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »

I'd rather we formed our own parties rather than something so grounded in real life. I have no problem with being realistic, but I think it being so realistic will put people off who can't see themselves in the Labor or Liberal Parties of Australia.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #220 on: July 04, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »

I'd be interested in doing this.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #221 on: July 04, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »

The thing is, we've tried that many times now. I think giving people a firm starting point and then going from there is better tan trying to create everything from scratch. People can and will and should act independently from exactly how the parties act, but if they want to be themselves they should go to Atlasia. In this concept, the focus should, I believe, be on playing a character in a parliament.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »

If we base this on Australia, does that mean we can change Prime Minister every week. Wink

The thing is, we've tried that many times now. I think giving people a firm starting point and then going from there is better tan trying to create everything from scratch. People can and will and should act independently from exactly how the parties act, but if they want to be themselves they should go to Atlasia. In this concept, the focus should, I believe, be on playing a character in a parliament.

I agree with you that this should be more of a RPG where you play a character, not yourself, but it'd still be more fun (in my mind) with different parties, and if we're going to use real life parties, we should really go for a country with a bit more political diversity, and preferably PR. In that case I think New Zealand would be preferable. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #223 on: July 04, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »

How about Luxembourg? Seriously.
Cappuccino
Rookie

« Reply #224 on: July 04, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »

I'd start it based on Australia, with 15 fully committed original players given specific roles to choose from, and then add more in as necessary.

Speaker, also gamerunner
PM
OL
DPM, plus ministry
SOL, plus ministry
Treasurer
STres
FA, Defence and Trade
SFA, Defence and Trade
AG + Immigration
SAG +Immi
Health and Community Services
SHealth and CS
"Infrastructure" (Comms, Transport, Housing etc.)
SInf
Enviro, Resources, Water etc.
SEnviro

The DOL and DPM choose one of the ministries in addition to their role.

Anyone else is a backbencher, and can be promoted to a ministry if someone steps out.

Once we have fifteen committed players and the game has been running for a while, we can broaden the frontbenches and the process a bit, and maybe bring in the Greens, and separate the coalition into Libs and Nats, etc.

The Speaker is basically the GM.

I'd also suggest people take on a specific electorate, and then the Speaker runs a mock election in which our players win their seats but people don't know who'll end up governing until the game starts. So, say, I signed up for the seat of Jagajaga, I could reasonably assume I'd be Labor and win my seat, but have no idea if I'd be governing or not. If I wanted to be flexible about the party I was representing but definitely wanted to be in government, I'd likely choose Eden-Monaro. If I wanted to be coalition, maybe something like Durack or Berowra.

It all depends on whether we had enough players or not, but why not have players (who have been specifically pre-selected by a party) run against eachother in each individual seat (obviously not all 150, maybe 20-25 to start with?) and the Speaker/GM can simulate the election on a seat-to-seat basis with swing etc. It adds the whole pre-selection dynamic to the game as Party members compete for pre-selection in safer seats and so on, and so long as we held elections reasonably close together, people who lose an individual seat contest wouldn't be out for long and could potentially contribute as a lobbyist or in assisting the Speaker.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies