Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 08:10:50 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Illinois Congressional Jujitsu
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Illinois Congressional Jujitsu  (Read 13715 times)
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 08:48:41 am »
Ignore

What a disgusting, partisan map, if I may add.

The districts outside of the Chicago area will look a lot prettier (shape-wise) than they have the past 10 years.
Then I'll add, the map created by Democrats 10 years ago was also extremely partisan.

I understand both sides do it, Franzl, and I think it's disappointing both ways, not just when Democrats do it.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 08:59:36 am »
Ignore

I understand both sides do it, Franzl, and I think it's disappointing both ways, not just when Democrats do it.

Sure, but until there's fair redistricting nation-wide, it would be quite stupid to "take the moral high ground" here and not use redistricting to your advantage in one of the only important states where Democrats control it.

It's disappointing that we draw districts in America that way, but I'd certainly do the same thing as long as other states do it.
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 09:24:05 am »
Ignore

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/5656436-418/dems-jockey-over-who-will-run-in-proposed-congressional-districts.html

The new map of the 11th district includes Burr Ridge, where insurance broker John Atkinson lives. Atkinson, though, has already raised $500,000 to launch a primary challenge in the 3rd district against Rep. Dan Lipinski, a conservative Democrat from the Southwest Side.

I have serious policy differences with Dan Lipinski I would prefer someone in that seat who wanted to work with the president, Atkinson said Saturday.

Can't imagine they would seriously allow him do this, but it would be awesome if they did.
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 09:36:34 am »
Ignore

The districts outside of the Chicago area will look a lot prettier (shape-wise) than they have the past 10 years.
Then I'll add, the map created by Democrats 10 years ago was also extremely partisan.

Um, you obviously didn't read the thread: Democrats didn't have control in Illinois 10 years ago. Republicans held the Governor's mansion and the State Senate. The map that was created was a bipartisan incumbent protector.

I'll also be expecting you to decry the inevitable partisan gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and so forth.
Swedish Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 09:44:53 am »
Ignore

Well I know Tmth has been supportive of Proportinal Representation when we've discussed the subject before, so I think he's quite honest here.

STV would end all garrymandering. Smiley

All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 09:50:52 am »
Ignore

Um, you obviously didn't read the thread: Democrats didn't have control in Illinois 10 years ago. Republicans held the Governor's mansion and the State Senate. The map that was created was a bipartisan incumbent protector.

I'll also be expecting you to decry the inevitable partisan gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and so forth.
My bad. In that case, the GOP did a horrible job with the map 10 years ago. I'll also complain about future partisan gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and wherever else they may occur.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 10:10:21 am »
Ignore

Well I know Tmth has been supportive of Proportinal Representation when we've discussed the subject before, so I think he's quite honest here.

STV would end all garrymandering. Smiley

I just have to roll my eyes at the partisan hypocrisy that goes on with redistricting. It's a terrible gerrymander when the other side does it, but it's a fair map when our side does it. The only thing I complain about is political malpractice, like the awful map the Arkansas Dems produced.
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:55 am »
Ignore

You gotta admire the technical skill in this gerrymander too -- it performs solidly on a number of levels and doesn't contain the potential of being a dummymander.

this is real
JewCon
LongIslandBorn
Israel

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 05:49:16 pm »
Ignore

Us Republicans need to STFU. We saw this coming in Illinois. Take it like a man.

We will do the same thing in Texas, Ohio, PA, and N. Carolina, so chill.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »
Ignore

Most of those systems just turn into incumbent protection plans.
Ah, but even then they're not nearly as bad as legislative incumbent protection plans. (Thinking of Illinois, California...) Anyways, it's sort of self-evident that once a state is reasonably drawn, unless it gains or loses seats or its population distribution shifts massively within the decade, the new map ought to look a lot like the old one.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 12:19:11 pm »
Ignore

Us Republicans need to STFU. We saw this coming in Illinois. Take it like a man.

We will do the same thing in Texas, Ohio, PA, and N. Carolina, so chill.

Past tense now, it looks like. Illinois Dems claimed what they think are 13 out of 18 seats and Texas Republicans did the same, doubled.
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 01:36:04 pm »
Ignore

My bad. In that case, the GOP did a horrible job with the map 10 years ago. I'll also complain about future partisan gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and wherever else they may occur.

Democrats still controlled the lower house in 2001, so redistricting was a compromise affair. In that light, the last set of lines served Republicans quite well.

krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »
Ignore

Dold is running in the 10th.

His first potential opponent? A 25 year old community organizer.

http://glenview.patch.com/articles/waukegan-democrat-is-early-dold-challenger
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 12:19:06 pm »
Ignore

This guy appears to be running in the 10th as well.
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 05:47:29 pm »
Ignore

State Sen. Dave Koehler of Peoria is looking at a run against Schilling in IL-17. Phil Hare has taken himself out of contention for a return to Congress; good news for the Democrats there.
muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2011, 08:59:03 am »
Ignore

State Sen. Dave Koehler of Peoria is looking at a run against Schilling in IL-17. Phil Hare has taken himself out of contention for a return to Congress; good news for the Democrats there.

It's official for Koehler.

Partial solar eclipse of April 15, 2014 with a cloud and large sunspot.
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2011, 09:57:52 am »
Ignore

So I guess that just leaves top-level Democratic recruits for IL-10 and IL-13. I'm wondering if this guy is considering a run for the latter. He has an interesting biography; at age 37, he's been elected to the Champaign County Board, Coundy Auditor, and State Senate, and after getting elected to the State Senate in 2006, he actually increased his margin of victory in 2010. He actually ran against Tim Johnson before, for the State House in 1998 at the age of 25. And he's 6'8", so he'd probably be the tallest member of Congress.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2011, 10:30:10 am »
Ignore

Is Dan Seals unavailable?
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 11:41:33 am »
Ignore

Is Dan Seals unavailable?

He just got a job in the Quinn administration.
realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2011, 04:37:59 pm »
Ignore

When's that Fortner guy going to run for Congress? Wink

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 06:45:19 pm »
Ignore

When's that Fortner guy going to run for Congress? Wink

Not soon enough.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 03:12:17 am »
Ignore

He'd have to primary Roskam.

He'd have my moral support, as a matter of course.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
ill ind

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:37 pm »
Ignore

God Bless Phil Hare

Lost 75 lbs, went off meds for high blood pressure and diabetes, and now gets to spend time with his grand daughter.  There's one guy who probably is thankful every day that he lost reelection!!!

Ill Ind
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 03:20:26 pm »
Ignore

Looks like Atkinson is giving up, so Foster and Lipinski will probably get free rides in their primaries.
muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:02 am »
Ignore

So I guess that just leaves top-level Democratic recruits for IL-10 and IL-13. I'm wondering if this guy is considering a run for the latter. He has an interesting biography; at age 37, he's been elected to the Champaign County Board, Coundy Auditor, and State Senate, and after getting elected to the State Senate in 2006, he actually increased his margin of victory in 2010. He actually ran against Tim Johnson before, for the State House in 1998 at the age of 25. And he's 6'8", so he'd probably be the tallest member of Congress.

Frerichs is not running for the 13th.

Partial solar eclipse of April 15, 2014 with a cloud and large sunspot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout