How do video gamers vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:55:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do video gamers vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Political ideology of gamers
Democrat

Republican

Libertarian

Others/Independent

Apolitical

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: How do video gamers vote  (Read 8323 times)
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« on: May 29, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »

I would guess 55% of them are Democrats, with 45% being Libertarians and 10% being Republicans/others. I'm a casual video gamer btw and I'm independent Democrat.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »

I remember in 2000, Gore was tracking third behind Bush and Nader in videogaming sites.

Tipper Gore and Joe Lieberman were the reason for that. Cut off that and I think Gore would be second or first in videogaming sites poll for politics. I bet Obama won the videogame vote in 2008. Video gamers tend to be more younger then others and they skewed Dems and libertarians strongly.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »

I would guess 55% of them are Democrats, with 45% being Libertarians and 10% being Republicans/others. I'm a casual video gamer btw and I'm independent Democrat.

that's mathematically impossible.

IMO, 45% of them are republicans, 25% democrats, 15% libertarians and 15% don't know.

No way in hell is the number for Republicans that high, given the demographic that plays video games. And if they are Republicans, they would be either libertarians or moderate/liberal repubs .
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »

I remember in 2000, Gore was tracking third behind Bush and Nader in videogaming sites.

Tipper Gore and Joe Lieberman were the reason for that. Cut off that and I think Gore would be second or first in videogaming sites poll for politics. I bet Obama won the videogame vote in 2008. Video gamers tend to be more younger then others and they skewed Dems and libertarians strongly.

Video gamers also feature white male prominently (a lot of whom are middle class and above) in their demographic so.

But they are high tech, which favors both the Dems and libs(Libertarians). It's not just white males but males of all accept and they might vote Democrat then Republican such as blacks. The religious right and tea party wing of the Republicans hurt any chance to get most video gamers to vote for their nomination. The Dems have the same problem but not as bad as Republicans do in this case.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2011, 05:38:19 PM by UpcomingYouthvoter »

I dunno, go to a gaming site like NeoGAF and read some of the members' opinions on some issues.

Just went on there and the political views tend to be very liberal. Just what I thought.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:59:19 PM »

Seeing as how a large amount of people in the United States owns some type of video game, giving Libertarians anywhere near 40% is ridiculous.  55% democratic?  Maybe.  10% Republican is far to low for a general category like this.

The highest I see is 35% for Republicans. The demographics favor the Dems in this position for the reasons that I mention.  
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:00:03 PM »

I would think in 2004 and 2008 this demographic would have been pretty Democratic. But there is a strong libertarian bent within that demographic, so unsurprisingly they probably also constituted Ron Paul's strongest demographic. Overall I would think they are liable to be independent minded and might have swung back hard Republican in 2010.

2004?

Bush is hated by people in the video game demographic.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:10:46 AM »

Probably pretty similar to the political makeup of this forum.

Given that many are under 18, and even those of age skew younger than the general population, I think it's fair to say a clear majority don't vote.

Maybe like 20 years ago.

Hahahahaha
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »

Seeing as how a large amount of people in the United States owns some type of video game, giving Libertarians anywhere near 40% is ridiculous.  55% democratic?  Maybe.  10% Republican is far to low for a general category like this.

The highest I see is 35% for Republicans. The demographics favor the Dems in this position for the reasons that I mention.  

So you basically just agreed with me.. Thanks for making that simple Tongue

I'm just see the market for Republicans gamers not that high compare to libertarians and democrats. That just if I had to predict the highest for gamers that vote Republican. I still put them around the 10-20s area for gamers voting the GOP.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »

Rich, sheltered suburban kids completely unaware of reality? Definitely gonna be a relatively strong libertarian presence.

If video gamers are like that, then you might as well add movie buffs and book lovers that fit the description. Or your just being elitist :cool
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »

Rich, sheltered suburban kids completely unaware of reality? Definitely gonna be a relatively strong libertarian presence.

This.  I expect that a DEEP libertarian streak runs among the Xbox live crowd. 

What about the PS3 and Wii? I put PS3 at Democrat and Wii at Republican/Libertarian.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies