1968-A Collaborative Timeline (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:48:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968-A Collaborative Timeline (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968-A Collaborative Timeline  (Read 10050 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 30, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »

July 10th, 1968- CBS TV newsman Harry Reasoner is assassinated while covering a civil rights story for the new TV show "60 Minutes"

April 4th, 1968- 2001 A Space Odyssey premieres. It becomes the number one movie of 1968.

August 19th, 1968: Popular Detroit shock band "The Stooges" are signed to electra records. Their first album is scheduled for realse in 1969.

August 30th, 1968- Eugene McCarthy announces his run as a third party canidate under the "Peace and Freedom Party" Banner

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:56:05 AM »

Speaking of bands I call Iggy Pop and The Stooges, btw
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »

November 6th 1968- One of the closest elections in history occurs. The night is a long one for all three men, Reagan jumps to an early lead due to McCarthy splitting the Liberal vote and winning DC and Minnesota.

The first TV network to declare a winner was ABC who called the race for Reagan. The third place network used the league of women voters to compile votes. NBC was the second network to declare, but had Kennedy winning. CBS stayed Neutral until the next day.

November 7th 1968- The winner was declared at 3:00 eastern time when Reagan was declared the winner after winning Wisconsin and Ohio, the two closest states.

Reagan/Rhodes- 283
Kennedy/Yarbourgh- 248
McCarthy/King- 7

In his Victory speech, Reagan pledged to bring the country together. He also reached out to Senator Kennedy, hoping to work with him in the future.

Senator Kennedy was grateful at the loss, but was angry at McCarthy. "Senator McCarthy has spoiled the election." He pledged to work with President Reagan in the future.

ABC News gained viewers thanks to the call for Reagan, while NBC lost ground due to the bad call. This began to shift the network news ratings.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »

Hows this for a Reagan cabinet?

Secretary of State-Henry Kissinger

Secretary of Treasury-John Connally

Secretary of Defense-William Rodgers

Attorney General-Spiro Agnew

Secretary of Agriculture-Robert Byrd

Secretary of Commerce-George Romney

Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare-Nelson Rockefeller

Head of the Navy-John McCain II

Secretary of Transportation-John Volpe

Sounds good
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »

January 12th, 1969- The New York Jets dominate the Dallas Cowboys 34-3 to win Super Bowl 3. Namath's guarantee comes true

January 12th 1969- LED ZEPPLIN 1 released in the US.

February 5th 1969- A huge Oil spill occurs off the Santa Barbara coast near California.

August 5th 1969- The Stooges, the debut album of the Detroit shock band is released. Their single "No Fun" makes it to Number 5 in the Billboard top 100, while "I wanna be your dog" makes it to number 25. The album sells a million copies.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies