Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:50:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 27
Author Topic: Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013  (Read 83632 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »

True that, but he also has baggage. Careerists always do a good job.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/bob-raes-advantage-hes-a-political-careerist/article2304310/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »

Has anyone used the phrase "Yesterday's Baby" re Sheila Copps?

She's certainly a relic of the past who hasn't changed one iota from her Rat Pack days. (See her Hill Times article accusing Kenney, Moore and Baird of being closeted and Harper forcing them to remain closeted) But we call her Tequila Sheila.

I know about Baird (everyone knows he's gay, even if he never has "come out'; just like our mayor... the two used to be college room mates), but Moore is married. And Kenney... I think he voted against SSM (unlike the other 2)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2012, 01:07:58 PM »

... it was common to run into Baird at Woody's and Agostino at Buddies back in the day... both are gay bars in TO

Anywho... what do folks think the decision to have "supporters" vote for the leader this time federally, just like they did in the Alberta Liberal race? (knowing the outcome of that one, do y'all think that was a good move by the Grits?)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »

While Baird doesn't march in our gay pride parade, he does participate in the festivities. I heard he tried to pick up young men after the parade. (My former room mate, who was a homocon (gay conservative, I apologize if this term is offensive), was trying to get Baird to notice him).

Anyways, as for letting "supporters" vote, it allows for a group of people to gang up and vote for the most right wing candidate so that the Liberals dont get too close to the NDP. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »

I think the system should have been more properly 2-tiered, and you get prioritized for membership if you're a "supporter" for a given period of time (3-4 yrs?). Other than that, no real objections.

NDP: The analysis shows that especially in Ontario, they lost precisely because of NDP-lite policy (C&T. Case closed.). Regardless of who wins, they're still operating within the Blue Liberal parameters set by Brison. Rae, Kennedy, Garneau, LeBlanc are all on the party's centre-left, and David McGuinty on the centre-right. No wild swings either way.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

Agreed, why vote NDP-Lite when you can vote NDP...

Frankly the Liberals need to focus on winning back those CR voters who bolted to the tories... particularly in those inner-suburb ridings in TO and the 905 area. I think the days of campaigning on the left, governing from the right is over... play what your good at; the middle ground.

We will see what happens in Alberta now that they have a RedTory leader... might not be the best since things don't look good for them there.

... image a Kennedy/Nash showdown in PHP where they are both Leaders? has that ever happened before?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »

PHP: Closest we've gotten to that was when King trounced Dief in 1926 in Prince Albert, though of course no one knew Dief would become PM at that stage.

I think the best strategy would be an Ontario/BC one. Quebec is also important, but not decisively so for OO.
adma
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2012, 08:41:22 PM »

Also re "clashes of leaders": in Ontario, Frank De Jong of the Greens ran against Premier Ernie Eves in '03, if stuff like that counts.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »

I know Kinsella has long become a self-parody, but he thinks Rae's egomania will be a major image handicap in the event he keeps his job. Personally I digress somewhat: Rae is an egomaniac but unlike his friend Iggy, he does a better job of concealing it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:32 PM »

Why is the Alberta Liberal leader's last name Sherman? Is he Anglo-Indian?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »

Why is the Alberta Liberal leader's last name Sherman? Is he Anglo-Indian?

Yes.

Last month I noticed that Gerard Kennedy had a domain name registered, which back then said "coming soon." Now it's blank. Since then he's publicly stated consideration of a run, but still... interesting that he wanted to get going so early. Given Rae's long lead, can't blame him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »

Again, no mention of Brison or Kennedy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/bob-rae-and-beyond-potential-contenders-for-the-top-liberal-job/article2306439/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »

No kidding.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Michael+Tandt+duplicity+leadership+must/6011809/story.html
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »

Robertson? Nenshi? really... are they members? Robertson i'd see go with the NDP over the Liberals but thats absed on past and well that didn't work in the NDPs advantage with Dosanj. But Robertson best beware, as LSD is showing, Dippers can't handle being spurned Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »

That's just fluff, ditto for Cauchon.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »

Robertson is an NDPer; he was an NDP MLA. Unless he has switched parties, but why?

It wouldn't surprise me if Nenshi is a Liberal. He is certainly quite Progressive.  I'd rather not know if he's a Liberal, because I like him, and I don't want to have a negative view of him. (I'd still support him though, since it's Calgary, and having even a Liberal mayor there is huge).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »

So how bad will the anti-Rae backlash be when he runs? I'm guessing it will be mitigated somewhat out of gratefulness for putting them back on a path to recovery, plus retaining OO status de facto if not de jure.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »

Frank Graves: Rae is actually popular, even in Ontario. Let's see if that holds up once the Permanent Campaign revs up again.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/jeffrey-simpson/why-harper-is-tuning-out-the-premiers/article2305684/
adma
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

Also re "clashes of leaders": in Ontario, Frank De Jong of the Greens ran against Premier Ernie Eves in '03, if stuff like that counts.

Oh, and I forgot: the very next year, federally--GP leader Jim Harris ran against NDP leader Jack Layton (and Grit incumbent Dennis Mills) in Toronto-Danforth.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »

Back OT: What will Grit activists' reaction be to a Rae run?
adma
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2012, 07:29:09 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if Nenshi is a Liberal. He is certainly quite Progressive.  I'd rather not know if he's a Liberal, because I like him, and I don't want to have a negative view of him. (I'd still support him though, since it's Calgary, and having even a Liberal mayor there is huge).

Actually, Nenshi's predecessor, Dave Bronconnier, was also a Liberal--as was (I think) his predecessor Al Duerr (and even Ralph Klein was Liberal-affiliated before he jumped to the PCs and the legislature).  For some reason, Calgary's mayoral profile quite profoundly contradicts its federal-provincial legislative profile.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »

Calgary is liberal compared to rural Alberta.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2012, 08:20:28 PM »

Have any Grits here committed to a candidate yet?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2012, 08:48:27 PM »

Hepburn: No alternative to Rae. Thing is, I doubt Liberals would hold Kennedy's loss of his seat against him- it was out of his control. We've already discussed why Garneau and LeBland are bad choices, so won't relitigate that.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/1117815--if-not-bob-rae-as-liberal-leader-who-s-the-next-best-choice

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »

Actually, Nenshi's predecessor, Dave Bronconnier, was also a Liberal--as was (I think) his predecessor Al Duerr (and even Ralph Klein was Liberal-affiliated before he jumped to the PCs and the legislature).  For some reason, Calgary's mayoral profile quite profoundly contradicts its federal-provincial legislative profile.

No where else for Liberals to go, but municipal politics?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies