Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:50:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013  (Read 84097 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: May 29, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »

I would put McGuinty as a centrist (I mean, he was a Martinite, after all, and his brother is a mixed bag of fun...), and Trudeau as centre-left (I mean, hello!).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:44:43 PM »

Sounds like Brison doesn't want to run, as he plans on starting a family

One of only 34 Grits elected to the new Parliament, Mr. Brison said he and husband Maxime St. Pierre are thinking of starting a family. “I don’t want to have one of Canada’s first same sex divorces,” he said when asked if he is considering another leadership race. “If you’re going to make that commitment, I not only want to be a parent, I want to be a good parent and that’s something we both feel strongly about.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/scott-brison-puts-family-ahead-of-liberal-leadership-ambition/article2009666/?from=sec368
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:46:43 AM »

If anyone knows anything about LeBlanc beyond what I've mentioned, please let us know.

McGuinty: Forgot that he was more fiscally responsible than his brother.

Trudeau: I'm basing this on economic, not social issues. Obviously everyone on that list is a social progressive, including the uber-Martinite Scott Brison. His comments on the sands were pleasantly surprising. Hatred: so were Chretien and Dion, and they won more seats than what the Liberals currently have. Even in the event of a public repentance for torpeoding Meech, which is as likely as Harper streaking down Rideau Avenue in broad daylight, there would still be an underlying issue with most Francophones. Better someone who's hated but has the organizational and fundraising skills than someone who's hated slightly less but has conclusively proven their incompetence.

*I define economic centrism as what Chretien did in the '90s, just so that's clear.

Brison: now there are reports he's mulling it over. There has to be someone opposing LeBlanc who is not radioactive in Ontario. Another coronation would be hammering the final nail into their own coffin.

What the heck is Rideau Avenue? Do you mean Rideau Street? Wink (that's the famous one, anyways)

Howabout Carolyn Bennett as a possible candidate? Sheila Copps? Anne McLellan?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:14:26 AM »

Hedy Fry is another one. Cons: batsh*t crazy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »

Massimo Pacetti is an Italian from Montreal, so he has Mafia links, yes?

Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »

lol @ Jennifer Granholm
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »

He doesn't seem to be that popular among the grassroots for some reason. What that reason is, I don't know.

Really? A) he's a turncoat. B) he's gay (that is more of a disadvantage than one thinks)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 08:46:51 PM »

I read in the paper today that David McGuinty would still run even if his brother, Dalton runs. That would awesome, it would be the Milliband battle all over again.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »

Has anyone used the phrase "Yesterday's Baby" re Sheila Copps?

She's certainly a relic of the past who hasn't changed one iota from her Rat Pack days. (See her Hill Times article accusing Kenney, Moore and Baird of being closeted and Harper forcing them to remain closeted) But we call her Tequila Sheila.

I know about Baird (everyone knows he's gay, even if he never has "come out'; just like our mayor... the two used to be college room mates), but Moore is married. And Kenney... I think he voted against SSM (unlike the other 2)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »

While Baird doesn't march in our gay pride parade, he does participate in the festivities. I heard he tried to pick up young men after the parade. (My former room mate, who was a homocon (gay conservative, I apologize if this term is offensive), was trying to get Baird to notice him).

Anyways, as for letting "supporters" vote, it allows for a group of people to gang up and vote for the most right wing candidate so that the Liberals dont get too close to the NDP. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »

Robertson is an NDPer; he was an NDP MLA. Unless he has switched parties, but why?

It wouldn't surprise me if Nenshi is a Liberal. He is certainly quite Progressive.  I'd rather not know if he's a Liberal, because I like him, and I don't want to have a negative view of him. (I'd still support him though, since it's Calgary, and having even a Liberal mayor there is huge).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if Nenshi is a Liberal. He is certainly quite Progressive.  I'd rather not know if he's a Liberal, because I like him, and I don't want to have a negative view of him. (I'd still support him though, since it's Calgary, and having even a Liberal mayor there is huge).

Actually, Nenshi's predecessor, Dave Bronconnier, was also a Liberal--as was (I think) his predecessor Al Duerr (and even Ralph Klein was Liberal-affiliated before he jumped to the PCs and the legislature).  For some reason, Calgary's mayoral profile quite profoundly contradicts its federal-provincial legislative profile.

No where else for Liberals to go, but municipal politics?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 03:00:46 AM »

I'm still scratching my head as to what happened in 2010 that saw Calgary elect Nenshi and Toronto elect Rob Ford.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »

No. All the candidates are Ontarian except LeBlanc, if he runs.

What, he's not bland anymore Huh Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »

There are people even today who wont vote for the provincial NDP just because of Bob Rae. (while they are happy to vote for the federal NDP)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 12:41:26 AM »

Andrew Coyne cannot possibly be a Liberal. He's too all over the place. Oh wait a minute...

Amanda Lang would be interesting. Let's hope it doesn't make Kevin O'Leary jump into politics. If he ever became PM, I would leave the country in disgust.

And, Liberals: stop trying to poach Robertson. Why would someone with NDP credentials want to become leader of a third party... that isn't the NDP? Usually dippers join the Liberals because they're opportunistic.  And Nenshi? Again, is he even a Liberal? Where would he even run?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

O'Leary is one of the few Conservatives that I could see myself voting for if he was leader.

I have lost all respect for you as a human being.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »

I think the Liberals will be running in more of a Libertarian direction, trying to move to the left of the NDP on social issues, while remaining on the right on economic issues. There may be a significant population of Canadians are are libertarian leaning that wont vote Tory because of Social issues.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 07:27:21 AM »

The SK Liberal Party tried a Libertarian platform, but that backfired horribly. But then again, SK is not a hotbed for Libertarianism.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »

I don't think it's correct to call the Reformists the "blues". Blue was the colour of the PC Party, not the Reform Party.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »

I don't think it's correct to call the Reformists the "blues". Blue was the colour of the PC Party, not the Reform Party.

In the Red/Blue Tory sense. Trust me, we don't refer to Blues and Greens amongst ourselves.

You were talking about the CA-PC merger, though. I don't think any Red Tories exist any more, at least not federally. (Chong might be an exception)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »

The federal Liberals are essentially now the "red Tory" party.

True that, but "fiscal and social responsibility" seems the ideal ideological positioning for them provided it translates into concrete policies.

Following this template would also help.

http://www.irpp.org/po/archive/jun11/reid.pdf

I will have to live in ignorance. I took one look at who wrote that, and I was reminded of his gawdawful show on CTV Newsnet, and I closed the tab. Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »

What's the Liberal equivalent of the Manning Institute? The NDP has the Broadbent institute, but it sucks so far.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 08:17:25 AM »

James Moore has the most beautiful dogs! He often uploads their photos on Facebook.

Aww. But I'm still voting for Jason Kenney when the time comes.

Does Kenney still claim to be a virgin like he did not long after he was first elected?

LOL - must be an asexual. Or well, you know...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »

I was hoping he wouldn't run, because it will make for a boring race.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies