Was anyone a Nixon-McGovern-Ford voter because...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:53:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Was anyone a Nixon-McGovern-Ford voter because...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was anyone a Nixon-McGovern-Ford voter because...  (Read 879 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2020, 02:20:59 PM »

...they thought Nixon would end the Vietnam War and they thought Carter was a segregationist?
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »

...they thought Nixon would end the Vietnam War and they thought Carter was a segregationist?

That and/or they just didn't like his religiosity. I could see an anti-war liberal Republican having this voting history followed by Anderson in 1980 and Democrat in every election thereafter.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 09:39:52 PM »

That and/or they just didn't like his religiosity. I could see an anti-war liberal Republican having this voting history followed by Anderson in 1980 and Democrat in every election thereafter.
Statistically, it is virtually certain there were a few, perhaps more than a few in South Dakota; Lexington and Lincoln, Mass.; Washtenaw County, Michigan; and a few other places. The Left was cool toward Humphrey in 1968, regarding him as part of the "old guard" and much preferring Eugene McCarthy; The Nation did not endorse Humphrey.

With the exception of South Dakota, all of the above places gave Anderson a big vote in 1980 and have been pretty strongly Democratic since.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 10:41:01 PM »

Do you think they likely supported Gary Hart in 1984 and 1988?
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 11:42:05 PM »

Do you think they likely supported Gary Hart in 1984 and 1988?

Probably, and Jerry Brown/Bill Bradley/Howard Dean/Obama/Warren after staying out of 2016.
DistingFlyer
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -1.74

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 05:48:28 PM »

There was certainly one high-profile McGovern-Ford voter: George McGovern himself.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 11:20:06 PM »

There was certainly one high-profile McGovern-Ford voter: George McGovern himself.
I know that McGovern stated in an interview that he voted for Ford, but did he ever claim that he voted for Nixon in 1968?
DistingFlyer
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -1.74

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »

I know that McGovern stated in an interview that he voted for Ford, but did he ever claim that he voted for Nixon in 1968?

Not as far as I'm aware - he only fits the last two-thirds of the question.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies