GO RHODE ISLAND
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:18:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  GO RHODE ISLAND
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GO RHODE ISLAND  (Read 3145 times)
skybridge
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2004, 11:25:47 AM »

I don't live anywhere near Rhode Island, but I have to respect it for not one of its counties voting Republican since 1984!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 11:26:49 AM »

Move closer, then. (Yawn.)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 02:50:22 AM »

Another "Uninformed Radlib Troll," just in time for the holidays! Smiley
Rococo4

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 04:22:30 AM »

I don't live anywhere near Rhode Island, but I have to respect it for not one of its counties voting Republican since 1984!

Thnakfully other states have not followed suit.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 07:00:30 PM »

Rhode Island has only 3 counties. What is more impressive is that none of South Carolinas (many) counties voted republican for 11 straight elections back in the early 20th century
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 07:55:24 PM »

Rhode Island has only 3 counties. What is more impressive is that none of South Carolinas (many) counties voted republican for 11 straight elections back in the early 20th century

South Carolina was the D.C. of the late 19th and early 20th Century. The Democratic Party was simply the party that the voters voted for. A good example is that South Carolinians really didn't like Woodrow Wilson in 1912. The South Carolinian delegates voted for Champ Clark at the Convention in Baltimore on all 16 ballots cast.  Yet they all voted for him due to the (D) by his name.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 09:03:56 PM »

South Carolina was the D.C. of the late 19th and early 20th Century. The Democratic Party was simply the party that the voters voted for. A good example is that South Carolinians really didn't like Woodrow Wilson in 1912. The South Carolinian delegates voted for Champ Clark at the Convention in Baltimore on all 16 ballots cast.  Yet they all voted for him due to the (D) by his name.

I agree. Political parties are much weaker today than they were 100 years ago simply because people are better informed and vote more on individual positions rather than playing it safe with parties. 100 years ago, they did not see much opposition to their local viewpoint. If you lived in Vermont, everyone around you is republican. You will vote republican. If you lived in SC everyone around you is democrat. you vote democrat. Strangely, it was the advancements made in communications and media that led to the decrease in emphasis placed on party platforms, and the increase in emphasys based on the individual canidates beliefs. This is why Massachusetts for example, now has a republican governor, yet still votes 60-70% in favor of democratic candidates during presidential elections.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 10:39:31 PM »

Thnakfully other states have not followed suit.
Hawaii

Only in 1960 and 1980 did its counties not all vote the same way
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 08:57:43 AM »

There's one slight difference though...turnout at General elections in SC was below 10% of male VAP.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 12:11:10 PM »

Rhode Island has 5 counties.
Rhode Island County Map
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 03:01:14 PM »

Rhode Island has 5 counties.
Rhode Island County Map

I was hoping no one would notice that. Delaware is the one with three. Wrong tiny liberal northeastern state. Still.....
Rhode Island    =  5
South Carolina = 46
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 01:34:59 PM »

A more relevant question would be:

"Why did R.I. have the 6th largest swing to Bush in 2004?"
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 06:09:08 PM »

A more relevant question would be:

"Why did R.I. have the 6th largest swing to Bush in 2004?"

Because a Massachusetts Liberal was running instead of a Southern Center-Left, wait...um?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 04:38:00 AM »

rhode island is a religious state, especially for New England.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 01:14:06 PM »

Woo hoo. GO IDAHO, WYOMING, UTAH, ALASKA, NORTH DAKOTA, SOUTH DAKOTA, INDIANA. This is a completely pointless thread.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 02:25:26 PM »

Bush won 3 towns in Rhode Island. GO RI!!!

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies