Mitt Romney vs The President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:40:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney vs The President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Mitt Romney vs The President  (Read 9933 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 09:20:15 PM »

Romney would probably win, but I would bet money that he doesn't win the nomination.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »

If unemployment continues at 9% and rising, if the economy continues to be facing a major stall, if jobs created continues to lag, then the electorate will turn to Romney's legendary economic and business expertise to get the economy back on track and Romney will defeat Obama.

What? The expertise at being born the scion of a multi-million dollar fortune and---surprise, surprise---not blowing it?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »

If unemployment continues at 9% and rising, if the economy continues to be facing a major stall, if jobs created continues to lag, then the electorate will turn to Romney's legendary economic and business expertise to get the economy back on track and Romney will defeat Obama.

What? The expertise at being born the scion of a multi-million dollar fortune and---surprise, surprise---not blowing it?

Winfield is just the best Romney parodist ever.
milhouse24
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »

Unemployment is still extremely high, and no president has ever been re-elected at 9% unemployment.  I really think that Romney will win the Independent vote and the swing states of Ohio, Florida, Colorado, and NC.  He already beats Obama in polling of Independents.  He just has to win the nomination, and I'm sure the evangelicals realize he's the best shot at beating Obama. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 10:39:23 PM »

I'm sure the evangelicals realize he's the best shot at beating Obama. 

Getting evangelicals to make a rational decision is a stretch.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 11:23:04 PM »

287-251 Obama. I could see Romney being the John Kerry of 2012
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 06:41:53 AM »

Romney wins all of Nebraska because it abolishes its congressional district split.

Indiana and North Carolina go back to Romney on what is left of the Tea Party wave.  That same bump also shores up Montana and Missouri for Romney.

Obama holds the rest.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »

Obama would beat Romney by single digits.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2011, 01:36:50 PM by The Mikado »

Unemployment is still extremely high, and no president has ever been re-elected at 9% unemployment.

Roosevelt 1936.

EDIT: Just checked the figures, and there hasn't been an election since World War II where the Unemployment figure was 9% at the election, though there have been several where it was 8.X (1976, 1984).
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 01:36:44 PM »

Assuming unemployment stands within a point of what it is today
milhouse24
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

Nevada is Mormon country, so Romney would win.

I think NC would also go for Romney and Iowa.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »

Nevada is Mormon country, so Romney would win.

The population of Nevada is 11% Mormon, and they voted overwhelmingly for John McCain in 2008 when Obama won the state by twelve points.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »

I wouldn't write off NM, IA, VA, NC or even OR or PA in such a scenario.

Depends on a strong unity GOP candidate, tho.  A LOT depends on a strong unity GOP candidate.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »

New Hampshire and Michigan would never vote for this Mitt Romney.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »

No way. Romney  gets caught in a flip-flop on rescuing the auto industry and loses Michigan and Ohio (more precisely, doesn't get them back). Romney has the albatross of the Ryan plan to privatize Medicare and Medicaid , which won't play in Florida or Arizona. Indiana and Missouri depend heavily on the auto industry, if not as much as Michigan and Ohio.

I don't know what connection Mitt has to New Hampshire, so I think he loses the state (more precisely, doesn't flip it). 

Neither Colorado nor Nevada is "Mormon Country". President Obama won't win Nevada by the overwhelming margin that he won it by in 2008 in the panic following the housing crash. Demographics of both states favor the President.

Republicans' monomaniacal calls for privatizing everything and tax cuts for the super-rich won't be well-received.       
milhouse24
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »

No way. Romney  gets caught in a flip-flop on rescuing the auto industry and loses Michigan and Ohio (more precisely, doesn't get them back). Romney has the albatross of the Ryan plan to privatize Medicare and Medicaid , which won't play in Florida or Arizona. Indiana and Missouri depend heavily on the auto industry, if not as much as Michigan and Ohio.

I don't know what connection Mitt has to New Hampshire, so I think he loses the state (more precisely, doesn't flip it). 

Neither Colorado nor Nevada is "Mormon Country". President Obama won't win Nevada by the overwhelming margin that he won it by in 2008 in the panic following the housing crash. Demographics of both states favor the President.

Republicans' monomaniacal calls for privatizing everything and tax cuts for the super-rich won't be well-received.       

FYI, Romney is from MA, which neighbors NH.  He has thousands of volunteers canvassing in NH for the GOTV.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 08:34:38 PM »

Romney *vomits*
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »

While it is true that Mitt Romney was raised in an affluent family, it is also true that as a venture capitalist and successful businessman and manager, he made a personal fortune on his own volition, estimated at between 200 and 250 million dollars.

Some have speculated his net worth is closer to 500 million dollars, but 250 million dollars seems more likely.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that Mitt Romney made his own personal fortune, not dependent on that of his famous father.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »

While it is true that Mitt Romney was raised in an affluent family, it is also true that as a venture capitalist and successful businessman and manager, he made a personal fortune on his own volition, estimated at between 200 and 250 million dollars.

Some have speculated his net worth is closer to 500 million dollars, but 250 million dollars seems more likely.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that Mitt Romney made his own personal fortune, not dependent on that of his famous father.
Mitt Romney also has the experience of turning around a sinking ship - See 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 12:58:08 AM »

Mitt Romney also has the experience of turning around a sinking ship - See 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

I like this common American misconception, that being a good businessman makes you a good political leader.
Ben Romney
Hillary2012
Germany

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2011, 04:11:53 AM »

It will be President Mitt Romney
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2011, 08:44:05 AM »

I think so too.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2011, 09:52:12 AM »

I like this common American misconception, that being a good businessman makes you a good political leader.
No one ever said that Romney's vast amount in the private sector will guarantee he'll make a good President. But it's certainly something good to have when running for President.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »

I don't - the skills to be a successful businessman and the skills to be a successful president are markedly different... the funny thing is, I think Romney probably has both. But I think there are too many internal GOP dynamics going on that don't work in his favour. He will have rough time in the South... the evangelicals won't hold their nose at primary time... they might in the general, but the enthusiasm will be low.

Plus Obama is in a pretty solid position, if Obama was in the position the Doom-sayers are trying to suggest he would not doing so well on a state-by-state basis.

I think Romney would make it close during the general, but I'm not sure he gets out of the primary... if he does, I think he's going to be damaged. Unlike the dems in 2008 - there were pretty much no significant policy differences between Obama and Clinton...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 10:11:12 AM »

No misconception at all my friend.  Being a good businessman, as you put it, is one indication that such an individual is up to the task of executive management.  As I say, it is one indication, but with Romney, he as well has the resume of a proven and successful political leader.

When it comes right down to it, there is no guarantee that anyone, from whatever background, is going to make an outstanding political leader, and most certainly no guarantee that they are going to make an outstanding or even good President.

However, a proven background in the private sector, and or in the political/public sector, is most definitely a good indication of their capabilities when it comes to political office.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies