NY-09, Special Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:48:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-09, Special Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37
Author Topic: NY-09, Special Election Thread  (Read 94321 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »

People actually think this could be competitive? The Republicans have no chance at winning this seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPa8teSoLwg

Replace "Jane Corwin" with whoever the Republican nominee is. Election is over.

lol, I am sure this seat will remain Democratic, albeit more competitive than under normal circumstances, but you gotta admit its funny how you guys are essentially using the GOP tactics of 2009 with healthcare.

I don't see any connection in tactics. Republicans made up nonsense that appeared no where in the final healthcare bill (government is taking control, there are death panels, etc.) while all the Democrats are doing is running ads that detail - using the wording of respected newspapers -  the exact provisions of the bill the Republicans have already voted to support.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »

Interesting tidbit about NY-9:

53.8% born in state
4.0% born in a different state
2.1% born abroad to American parents
40.1% foreign born

The bolded must be among the lowest in the country.

I agree that Dems should have no problem winning the special election. Foreign policy and anti-Obama sentiment was the only reason it was even that close.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »

53.8% born in state
40.1% foreign born

It might be the lowest in the country.  The only districts I've found that are even close are elsewhere in New York.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The anti-Obama sentiment is still there, for NY-09 purposes, especially given his recent anti-Israel turn in foreign policy.

But that's not the issue.  Special elections are usually won on machine strength.  The Democrats have it in NY-09.  Republicans don't.  So I doubt the special election will be close, as long as it isn't held on election day in November.  Even if it is, my guess is the Republican candidate will do better than they have against Weiner in the recent past, but still lose by low double digits.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 09:55:07 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2011, 09:57:26 PM by rbt48 »

53.8% born in state
40.1% foreign born

I'd guess Hal Rogers district in KY, or TN-1 have similarly low percentages born in a different state.

Say, are most of the foreign born in NY-9 Asians?
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »

53.8% born in state
40.1% foreign born

I'd guess Hal Rogers district in KY, or TN-1 have similarly low percentages born in a different state.

Say, are most of the foreign born in NY-9 Asians?

A big percentage, but many from Russia, and former Soviet areas like Uzbekistan; Latin America, China, Korea, India, Pakistan, Guyana, Israel, etc
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 10:55:38 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2011, 11:24:49 PM by cinyc »

53.8% born in state
40.1% foreign born

Nope.  According to the 2000 Census Data, NY-09 has the lowest percentage of people born in another US state at 4.03%, followed by NY-05 (4.71%), NY-13 (5.39%), NY-07 (5.60%), NY-03 (5.85%), NY-16 (6.57%), NY-12 (6.92%) and NY-04 (7.15%).

Notice a pattern - well, excluding the Puerto Rico At Large Resident Commissioner (6.13%), 9 of the top 10 are in New York.  CA-31 (7.30%) breaks the string at 9th.  NY-02 (7.34%) follows in 10th place.   IL-04 (8.01%) is 11th, excluding PR.

TN-01 is 31.66% non-Tennessee US born - good for 312th or so out of 437 (435 + PR + DC); Hal Rogers' KY-05 is 17.81% non-Kentucky US born - 96th or so out of 437.

For these purposes, Puerto Rico is not considered another state, which partially explains why some of the heavily Puerto Rican Hispanic NYC and Chicago Hispanic districts are included in the top 10.

The 10 districts with the most out-of-state residents?  As one would expect, 6 of them are in Florida, 2 in Arizona and 2 in Nevada.  FL-14 (68.34%) had the highest percentage of residents born in another state, followed by NV-03 (65.96%) and FL-13 (65.68%).  That's SW Florida and suburban Las Vegas.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As of 2000, no.  148,738 of the 262,593 foreign-born residents (56.6%) classified themselves as White alone; 73,217 classified themselves as Asian alone (27.9%).   NY-09 is geographically diverse and heavily Gerrymandered.   Among others, Sheepshead Bay has a large Russian and Eastern European Jewish population.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »

This is basically the textbook definition of a fool's gold seat. It's designed to be very polarized. And do the GOP hold any 56% Kerry seats even after 2010? I can't think of any.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 11:57:31 PM »

this seat is going the wrong way and could eventually go republican. Obama did 10 points worse than Al Gore in 2000 in this district.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »

this seat is going the wrong way and could eventually go republican. Obama did 10 points worse than Al Gore in 2000 in this district.
Lieberman being on the ticket played a big part in that.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 03:59:59 AM »

This is basically the textbook definition of a fool's gold seat. It's designed to be very polarized. And do the GOP hold any 56% Kerry seats even after 2010? I can't think of any.

Well, they do hold a handful of 55% Obama districts, which is the problem here.  This is one of the few districts Obama did worse than Kerry in.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 04:15:24 AM »

Worst danger for Dems is if Crowley goes with a weak Dem nominee to bolster himself in redistricting
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 06:08:01 AM »

but you gotta admit its funny how you guys are essentially using the GOP tactics of 2009 with healthcare.

I thought it was rather shocking--well beyond funny--that Republicans used those tactics so successfully in 2010 and then thought it was a good idea to pass a bill with no chance of passage that opened them up to the same attacks thrown back at them.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »

Well, they do hold a handful of 55% Obama districts, which is the problem here.  This is one of the few districts Obama did worse than Kerry in.

It's still 56% Kerry, though and Obama's under-performance doesn't undercut that fact, there's very Democratic presence here. 2008 numbers are lopsided, 2004 ones are much more accurate. Critz was supposed to lose PA-12 because Obama did worse than Kerry, but that didn't pan out at all.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »

Well I doubt the Democratic nominee will be black, so that's pretty moot. Also they hold a grand total of one D+5 seat (as this is), and that's a seat in Illinois so the PVI is no doubt inflated unlike how it's deflated here (IL-10).
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »

The election is going to be on September 13th which is conveniently the day of the Nevada special election as well.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 01:42:15 AM »

The election is going to be on September 13th which is conveniently the day of the Nevada special election as well.

And the New York primary elections, which makes sense - to save money.

It also means that the parties will pick the candidates.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »

..which helps the Republicans, funnily enough. Since the Republicans actually want to put up the strongest candidate possible but the Democrats are trying to thread the needle of putting up someone strong, but not strong enough to be able to challenge Ackerman or Crowley in a primary post-redistricting
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 11:05:14 PM »

Why not just get someone who's only interested in being a seat warmer who'll then have a foot in the door to a high-paying lobbyist position after a year and a half?
Dgov
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 12:53:43 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2011, 01:25:15 AM by Dgov »

Why not just get someone who's only interested in being a seat warmer who'll then have a foot in the door to a high-paying lobbyist position after a year and a half?

Such people are usually not good candidates.

EDIT:  Grammar fail
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 12:59:43 AM »

Isn't there some period after leaving Congress during which you have to pretend that you're not a lobbyist?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »

..which helps the Republicans, funnily enough. Since the Republicans actually want to put up the strongest candidate possible but the Democrats are trying to thread the needle of putting up someone strong, but not strong enough to be able to challenge Ackerman or Crowley in a primary post-redistricting

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I don't think the 2011 primaries will be much to write home about in terms of turnout.  2011 is an off-off year for New York City elections.  I don't even think NYC city council seats are up, just some judges, county committee seats and the like.  But if they're holding a primary election that day anyway, they might as well hold a special election at the same time.  The workers will be there.

I still say NY-09 is fools' gold for Republicans.  The blue-collar types who live in parts of the district were more attracted to Bush in 2004 because of his national security credibility and McCain because he wasn't Obama.  That doesn't necessarily translate to a Congressional race, especially one with low turnout where machine politics matters.  The Democrats have the real machine there.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2011, 12:22:59 AM »

It all depends on the Democratic candidate. If Crowley picks someone palatable to the district, as is quite likely (but he has mixed goals), it'd be an uphill climb for the GOP.  But we'll have to see the Democrat first.

Bloomberg won this district with 70% of the vote, it's not complete fool's gold, it's just a complex situation where the Democrats are favored.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2011, 12:54:52 AM »

I still say NY-09 is fools' gold for Republicans.  The blue-collar types who live in parts of the district were more attracted to Bush in 2004 because of his national security credibility and McCain because he wasn't Obama.  That doesn't necessarily translate to a Congressional race, especially one with low turnout where machine politics matters.  The Democrats have the real machine there.

Agreed.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »

Former Rep. Liz Holtzman has become a top contender for the Democratic nomination.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »

Perfect candidate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies