NY-09, Special Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:51:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-09, Special Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 37
Author Topic: NY-09, Special Election Thread  (Read 95065 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 12, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »

dedicated to all my critics (hope you have fun tomorrow, because the Jewish Community will be happy though we would have been much happier if this election was not necessary (and I wasn't referring to Weiner's problems (though that too)))
just to repost some of the comments that were said after I made my prediction on August 11th that this will be won based on marriage redefinition (now even a Philip Goldfeder (Orthodox politician running for the 23 Assembly district) is trying to separate him self from Weprin based on that)

Careful you don't go throwing up on yourself with all that spinning you're doing there.

That's the third time you post this nonsense. I think we got the message, so please take your idiocy and get the hell out of here.

((((()((())(((
NY Jew

« Reply #376 on: September 12, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »

Why not just run Manny Celler? If he won his physical remains would still be more intelligent than a majority of the current New York delegation.

I maintain that this was a fundamentally good idea.

seriously if he was still alive he would probably destroy both Weprin or Turner (and get the Orthodox vote (he was anti the ERA (would have been anti gay marriage and the like), pro immigration, willing to take on democratic leadership ext.))

but the democrats wouldn't pick a candidate like that today.

as a side note while on the subject if the democratic leadership wouldn't have turned down Noach Dear who was recommended by Orthodox leaders to the democratic establishment then the democrats would still have this seat after tomorrow night, and save a lot of money.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #377 on: September 12, 2011, 04:39:41 PM »

Perhaps Rory Lancman would've been the better candidate in this situation.
NY Jew

« Reply #378 on: September 12, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »

just in the Daily News
Rabbi Zechariah Wallerstein, founder of the Ohr Naava women's Torah center in Brooklyn, recorded an anti-Weprin robocall paid for by the National Organization for Marriage, which opposes same-sex nuptials. VIN reports that Wallerstein says he doesn't know anything about Turner, but agreed to do the call based on his belief that Weprin's past support of SSM makes him a unfit candidate for Orthodox Jews.

One of my readers reported getting a call recorded by state Sen. Ruben Diaz Sr., another vocal opponent of New York SSM.

more proof that this will be won based on Weprin redefining marriage
NY Jew

« Reply #379 on: September 12, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »

Perhaps Rory Lancman would've been the better candidate in this situation.
how would he be better then Weprin?
if you needed to pick an Assembly candidate who would win easily (though Hikind would be the best then I'm assuming you wouldn't go for that)

Michael G. Miller would have been a candidate that would do very well here
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #380 on: September 12, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »

Are there enough Orthodox Jews to form a full Congressional district if you strung them together?
NY Jew

« Reply #381 on: September 12, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »

Are there enough Orthodox Jews to form a full Congressional district if you strung them together?
no (depending on what you how you want to do it) but it also would be imposable to make a complete non Orthodox-Jewish district in NY
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #382 on: September 12, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »

If Weprin loses, this poll certainly suggests that it's about national issues and Obama, not the candidates.

I think - if the polls and all the rumours and everything - are right*, then it'd likely be a combination of the two. These things are often about momentum; in order for the national issues to hit and to hurt, sometimes a horrific choice of candidate for the government party is needed to drop the ball in a ghastly trainwreck of unacceptably mixed metaphors. If you see my point.

Of course if Weprin loses by double digits, I take that all back. Because sometimes it isn't necessary and sometimes even good government candidates lose by-elections in safe seats. And if Weprin is beaten heavily, I think that'd be evidence that even a decent candidate would have lost. Narrowly.

*My experience is that polls and people on the ground sometimes read these things very badly, so we shouldn't be too shocked if they turn out to be wrong. Even if that is hardly likely.
NY Jew

« Reply #383 on: September 12, 2011, 06:44:16 PM »

If Weprin loses, this poll certainly suggests that it's about national issues and Obama, not the candidates.

I think - if the polls and all the rumours and everything - are right*, then it'd likely be a combination of the two. These things are often about momentum; in order for the national issues to hit and to hurt, sometimes a horrific choice of candidate for the government party is needed to drop the ball in a ghastly trainwreck of unacceptably mixed metaphors. If you see my point.

Of course if Weprin loses by double digits, I take that all back. Because sometimes it isn't necessary and sometimes even good government candidates lose by-elections in safe seats. And if Weprin is beaten heavily, I think that'd be evidence that even a decent candidate would have lost. Narrowly.

*My experience is that polls and people on the ground sometimes read these things very badly, so we shouldn't be too shocked if they turn out to be wrong. Even if that is hardly likely.
Turner is also a lousy candidate too (his biggest gaffes had not even been reported on (the democrats and Republicans don't realize why there gaffes and his supporters are covering them up because they don't want Weprin)).
this race is a combination of many flaws (in the minds of rank and file democrats) in different parts of the democratic platform most notably marriage redefinition.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #384 on: September 12, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »

Hey, is there a heavy Orthodox Jew community in this district? Also, has Gay Marriage resonated as an issue in this Special?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #385 on: September 12, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »

Hey, is there a heavy Orthodox Jew community in this district? Also, has Gay Marriage resonated as an issue in this Special?

You've heard that as well?
NY Jew

« Reply #386 on: September 12, 2011, 07:15:12 PM »

there is are 3 Orthodox communities (Belle Harbor, Bayswater, and most importantly Far Rockway) in this district  (in addition part of this district overlaps with the 9th (though most of the Orthodox areas are out of the 9th))
yes Jane Deacy has accused Phillip Goldfeder an Orthodox Jew (who is against gay marriage but not vocal about it) of not championing to get rid of it in a hope to connect him with Weprin.

There also is another special election for an assembly race in the 9th Congressional district where the democrat is also an Orthodox Jew (who seems to be against gay marriage but since there is no real race it's hard to tell 100%) and the Republican is a place holder because the Republicans are to stupid and corrupt (there is a lot of infighting in the Queens Republican party and in order to get support in the chairmanship race they put up a person who has no chance of winning) to put up a real candidate. (though the good thing about this race is that when both Republicans and Orthodox jews in this very Orthodox district go to the polls they are most likely going to vote for Turner)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #387 on: September 12, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

Noach Dear? Oh lord.
NY Jew

« Reply #388 on: September 12, 2011, 08:51:18 PM »

you might hate him but he would have won instead you get REPUBLICAN Bob Turner, and a slap in the face to your president, your parties platforms and the most public campaign of someone losing because they voted for pro gay marriage.

But think on the bright side at least you didn't get Noach Dear.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #389 on: September 12, 2011, 08:54:46 PM »

It would be amusing if this turned into a mypalfish situation.  Probably not, though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #390 on: September 12, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »

These rabbis "forbidding" voting for candidates need to lose their tax-exempt status pronto. If these were Christian pastors, it would be a huge scandal.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #391 on: September 12, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »

These rabbis "forbidding" voting for candidates need to lose their tax-exempt status pronto. If these were Christian pastors, it would be a huge scandal.

Unless, of course, they were Black ministers in predominately Black congregations.
NY Jew

« Reply #392 on: September 12, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »

the way they did it was 100% within the IRS code.
so tough luck and I hope you have a great night tomorrow night because I will.
NY Jew

« Reply #393 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:24 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2011, 11:48:48 PM by NY Jew »

my first prediction on this forum Weprin will lose this race mostly because of his redefinition of marriage support.

Careful you don't go throwing up on yourself with all that spinning you're doing there.
are they also spinning this? (or are some apologies in order)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/special-elections-reveal-a-fickle-electorate/2011/09/12/gIQAFbHNNK_blog.html

(Democrats are already blaming New York Democratic nominee David Weprin’s vote for same-sex marriage from when he was in the state Assembly for alienating Jewish voters.)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #394 on: September 13, 2011, 12:24:47 AM »

Why? Are you taking your hand to a dinner?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #395 on: September 13, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »

my first prediction on this forum Weprin will lose this race mostly because of his redefinition of marriage support.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/special-elections-reveal-a-fickle-electorate/2011/09/12/gIQAFbHNNK_blog.html

(Democrats are already blaming New York Democratic nominee David Weprin’s vote for same-sex marriage from when he was in the state Assembly for alienating Jewish voters.)

Actually the way I read the article the leitmotif was the Dem national malaise and erosion, and that the Dems want to spin that macro away with the micro of blaming it all on Welprin's gay marriage thing.  While you may be right that the gay thing was the straw that broke Welprin's back (I have no idea either way), your link actually undermines your case. You need to find stuff that spins it your way - not the opposite, if you are adducing it as evidentially support for your point of view.  Smiley
NY Jew

« Reply #396 on: September 13, 2011, 01:21:08 AM »

Actually the way I read the article the leitmotif was the Dem national malaise and erosion, and that the Dems want to spin that macro away with the micro of blaming it all on Welprin's gay marriage thing.  While you may be right that the gay thing was the straw that broke Welprin's back (I have no idea either way), your link actually undermines your case. You need to find stuff that spins it your way - not the opposite, if you are adducing it as evidentially support for your point of view.  Smiley

except when was the last time the democrats ever tried to use a spin on a platform their against.  There only saying that because anyone in the district who's eyes are open clearly knows it's true.
as opposed to the usual garbage (it was a lousy candidate, he was uninspiring, he wasn't liberal enough and lost his base ext.)

As a side point Koch's Obama message on Israel thing has a slight twist in certain more modern parts of the Orthodox community to if he betrayed us on marriage (and couldn't stand up for what (many people foolishly think he is actually against gay marriage but he is a political prostitute like Sheldon Silver is (if they knew the truth he would be doing even worse)) he believes in and voted for marriage despite he knows it's wrong) and went with the liberal democrat party line how can we trust him not to betray our safety in Israel (or stand up to Obama) and go with the liberal democrat party line.
NY Jew

« Reply #397 on: September 13, 2011, 01:23:11 AM »

Why? Are you taking your hand to a dinner?
HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

though I probably don't want to know what this means.
NY Jew

« Reply #398 on: September 13, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »

this is now right wing spin to (it's obvious to anyone who even glances at the jewish papers )
http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/13/jewish-voters-tell-david-weprin-where-to-shove-his-yarmulke/

NY Jew

« Reply #399 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:07 AM »

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/General+News/102996/Op-Ed%3A-Why-Bob-Turner-Needs-To-Be-Your-Choice-Today.html
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies