NY-09, Special Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:47:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-09, Special Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37
Author Topic: NY-09, Special Election Thread  (Read 94623 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:38:55 AM »
« edited: June 16, 2011, 06:54:56 PM by Progressive »

Could any of the following people pose a formidable challenge to Weiner?

Former Assemblywoman and Councilwoman Melinda Katz?
Councilwoman Karen Koslowitz?
Assembly Andrew Hevesi?

Is there a chance Weiner could face a serious primary challenge. I think Melinda Katz could do it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »

No.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:05:41 PM »

Is there a chance Weiner could face a serious primary challenge.
Well, yes - by Gary Ackerman. Merging the two seats is pretty much the rational thing to do once it's agreed that all the nonwhite seats need to stay.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:51:01 PM »

R+1!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »

There won't be much of a NY-09 left after redistricting, so if Democrats draw the lines properly, Weiner's going to have to face off against a sitting Democratic Congressman largely on that other Congressman's turf.  My guess is he'll retire in anticipation of running for mayor, instead.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »

I think we can all agree that this is the downstate Dem seat that will likely be eliminated now. 
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:25:19 PM »

Mmhmm, I think a better question would be whether this will hurt his mayoral run.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »

Mmhmm, I think a better question would be whether this will hurt his mayoral run.

Short answer: It's dead.

Longer answer: Despite being a liberal himself, Weiner's political position in NYC has always been fairly dependent on support from relatively conservative groups like the Russians and Orthodox Jews as well as in general older whites living in outer Brooklyn and Queens. Meanwhile, his chief rival for the mayoralty, Christine Quinn, has more backing from the white liberals, partially because she represents a lot of them and is from Manhattan while Weiner is from Queens. Now, the scandal probably hurts Weiner at least somewhat among the crunchy-granola crowd in inner Brooklyn and Manhattan (the misogyny perspective), but more importantly it crushes his support among the conservative outer-borough whites. And, other than that she's a lesbian, politically Quinn is a better fit ideologically for those voters anyway. Although, with Weiner clearly out of the picture, while Quinn is temporarily the frontrunner, I'm sure someone else will enter the race to challenge her. (Bill Thompson is a huge joke and totally incompetent and could not hope to win a primary.) The election is a long time from now, obviously.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »

I don't know why some on tv (O'reilly and Chris Matthews) are saying this is an extremely liberal district and Republicans don't have a chance of winning it in a special election or 2012.... it only went 55% for Obama.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »

I don't know why some on tv (O'reilly and Chris Matthews) are saying this is an extremely liberal district and Republicans don't have a chance of winning it in a special election or 2012.... it only went 55% for Obama.

Well it's probably not going to exist in 2012, so...
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 10:03:53 PM »

Obama's numbers are a bit of an underperformance too, there are a lot of older Jews and "ethnic" voters weren't too big on him. Kerry got 56%. Also it has some haredi who strongly supported McCain but mostly support Democrats on the local level.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 10:04:58 PM »

I lived her for a long time in the Queens section. Because of a large elderly/socially conservative (religious) faction in some parts of NY-09, the presidency tends to be a 10 pt difference between Dem and GOP but virtually all other offices are vast-majority Dem.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 11:34:14 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2011, 11:35:51 PM by Lunar »

Longer answer: Despite being a liberal himself, Weiner's political position in NYC has always been fairly dependent on support from relatively conservative groups like the Russians and Orthodox Jews as well as in general older whites living in outer Brooklyn and Queens. Meanwhile, his chief rival for the mayoralty, Christine Quinn, has more backing from the white liberals, partially because she represents a lot of them and is from Manhattan while Weiner is from Queens. Now, the scandal probably hurts Weiner at least somewhat among the crunchy-granola crowd in inner Brooklyn and Manhattan (the misogyny perspective), but more importantly it crushes his support among the conservative outer-borough whites. And, other than that she's a lesbian, politically Quinn is a better fit ideologically for those voters anyway. Although, with Weiner clearly out of the picture, while Quinn is temporarily the frontrunner, I'm sure someone else will enter the race to challenge her. (Bill Thompson is a huge joke and totally incompetent and could not hope to win a primary.) The election is a long time from now, obviously.

I think de Blasio obviously gains the most, fwiw, as he's the other outer borough white mega-liberal in the race
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 06:14:23 AM »

I think we can all agree that this is the downstate Dem seat that will likely be eliminated now. 

^^^

It does make the legislature's choice a lot easier politically.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »

Why would crunchy-granola crowd hate Weiner now just because of his Twitter picture? They are not religious conservatives you know.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »

I think de Blasio obviously gains the most, fwiw, as he's the other outer borough white mega-liberal in the race

...and then, there's Alec Baldwin for mayor.  Maybe.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2011, 04:24:43 PM by Verily »

Why would crunchy-granola crowd hate Weiner now just because of his Twitter picture? They are not religious conservatives you know.

Middle-aged feminists are perhaps the group most disgusted by cheating in the country, much more so than religious conservatives. You are discounting the 40-year-old white liberal women who make up a very large percentage of the vote in places like Park Slope and the Upper West Side.

Obviously it's a fairly small segment of the population, but it's a group among whom he probably would have done reasonably well before but would not do well among now.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »

If Weiner does not return to the House, he should join CNN for the show WeinerSpitzer.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »

If Weiner does not return to the House, he should join CNN for the show WeinerSpitzer.

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 11:57:23 AM »

So yeah....
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »

Has there been any other state to hold so many special elections in such short time?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »

California has had eight since 2005: CA-05, 48, 50, 37, 12, 32, 10, and the pending 36.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/anthony-weiner-resigns-audience-cheers-13858250

Its time to change the title of this thread to NY-09 Special Election Thread
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »

People actually think this could be competitive? The Republicans have no chance at winning this seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPa8teSoLwg

Replace "Jane Corwin" with whoever the Republican nominee is. Election is over.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »

People actually think this could be competitive? The Republicans have no chance at winning this seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPa8teSoLwg

Replace "Jane Corwin" with whoever the Republican nominee is. Election is over.

lol, I am sure this seat will remain Democratic, albeit more competitive than under normal circumstances, but you gotta admit its funny how you guys are essentially using the GOP tactics of 2009 with healthcare.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies