NY-09, Special Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:32:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-09, Special Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37
Author Topic: NY-09, Special Election Thread  (Read 94578 times)
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: September 14, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »

Props to Michael Tomasky.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #776 on: September 14, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »

Also, isn't "Jewry" a term that shouldn't be used? I saw that at the top and the only couple of times I've seen that were word it was used in kind of a derogatory way.

http://tinyurl.com/3zuawa4
Wonkish1

« Reply #777 on: September 14, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »

Also, isn't "Jewry" a term that shouldn't be used? I saw that at the top and the only couple of times I've seen that were word it was used in kind of a derogatory way.

http://tinyurl.com/3zuawa4

Way to post one of those that doesn't lead to the question being answered. Google seems to think I should be searching for "jewelry"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #778 on: September 14, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »

NY Jew, according to the newspaper you just cited Marriage likely wasn't a huge decider in this race. Only 29% said that it was very important and that would appear to be the same % of traditionally Republican voting Orthodox Jews and devout Catholics that are in this district.

In the 1970's it was common to see banners on synagogues that said, "Save the Soviet Jewry."
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #779 on: September 14, 2011, 03:36:52 PM »

A new motto for the NY-09 Democrats:

"Yesterday we stumbled across Anthony's weiner, now on to a brighter future and victory in 2012 !"
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #780 on: September 14, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »

“The New York election was bizarre, just totally bizarre,” said Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.). “It was about Israel, it was about gay marriage, it was about all sorts of local issues. It was not a referendum on anything outside of that district.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63512.html#ixzz1Xxo8ynLR

I wasn't aware that gay marriage and matters related to Israel only happened in NY 9, Congressman.
NY Jew

« Reply #781 on: September 14, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »

http://www.cityhallnews.com/2011/09/heard-around-town-sept-14-2011/

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #782 on: September 14, 2011, 04:41:09 PM »

I haven't really read this thread (because this) but has this disgusting picture been posted yet?

So glad that we have another congressman that is as loyal to an anti-democratic apartheid state as he is to the country he will swear to protect.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #783 on: September 14, 2011, 04:53:10 PM »

That's hilarious! The presence of the flag, of course; not Lief's anti-Semitism.
NY Jew

« Reply #784 on: September 14, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2093186,00.html

"In some places, government has moved ahead while the nation debates. New York in July became the sixth state, along with the District of Columbia, to legalize same-sex marriage. Still, the issue played a part in the special election Tuesday to replace disgraced former Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y. Democrat David Weprin's support for gay marriage cost him support among the district's Orthodox Jews, and he lost to Republican Bob Turner.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2093186,00.html#ixzz1XxypQGek
"
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #785 on: September 14, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »

So glad that we have another congressman that is as loyal to an anti-democratic apartheid state as he is to the country he will swear to protect.

Agreed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #786 on: September 14, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »

This one leaps past NY-13 to become the most densely populated district represented by a Republican.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #787 on: September 14, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »

“The New York election was bizarre, just totally bizarre,” said Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.). “It was about Israel, it was about gay marriage, it was about all sorts of local issues. It was not a referendum on anything outside of that district.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63512.html#ixzz1Xxo8ynLR

I wasn't aware that gay marriage and matters related to Israel only happened in NY 9, Congressman.

I don't think Obama and his policies had anything at all to do with the GOP win in this seat.

I suggest Obama and the Democrats ignore any impulse to change direction and continue upon the path to peace and prosperity that they have so firmly placed the nation upon.

By staying true to their current policies, I am sure 2012 will be a resounding victory.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #788 on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »

I think a lot of it was about Obama's stand on Israel and same sex marriage, but not all of it.  Queens was not an Orthodox stronghold.  Some of it is the economy.

There is another problem.  Jews have traditionally supported Democratic candidates and supported Obama in the last election.  All D presidential nominees since 1928 have gotten at least a plurality of the Jewish vote.  Except for Carter in 1980, all got more than 60%.  http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/jewvote.html

This election is an indication that Obama might be below the 60% range, possibly below the 50% mark.  That should trouble any Obama supporter, especially if you look at the states with a fairly large Jewish population.

And Lief, thank you for helping drive Jewish voters away from Obama.

I haven't really read this thread (because this) but has this disgusting picture been posted yet?

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #789 on: September 14, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »

Hasn't it already been established that this district is more socially conservative on average? The PVI even fell eight points in 2008, that's a sign of something going on before now.

Jewish voters aren't monolithic, in other states they tend to be more liberal and focus on other issues, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Obama is losing Jewish voters because of one low turnout House race.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #790 on: September 14, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »

Hasn't it already been established that this district is more socially conservative on average? The PVI even fell eight points in 2008, that's a sign of something going on before now.

Jewish voters aren't monolithic, in other states they tend to be more liberal and focus on other issues, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Obama is losing Jewish voters because of one low turnout House race.

No, I would conclude that Obama is losing Jewish voters because self-described "Jews" in various polls indicate that that is the case.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #791 on: September 14, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »

If you clicked the link, you'd find out that no D presidential nominee, except Carter, had less than 60% of the Jewish vote.  Now that isn't "monolithic" but it is, or was, a strong component of the D coalition.  Losing this district, and performing so badly in a Jwwish area without a large Orthodox population, is a very bad sign for Obama in 2012, even if, as the D's are saying, this is about "Jewish issues."

BTW:  The black vote was not as strongly D during the same period.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #792 on: September 14, 2011, 05:44:08 PM »

If you clicked the link, you'd find out that no D presidential nominee, except Carter, had less than 60% of the Jewish vote.  Now that isn't "monolithic" but it is, or was, a strong component of the D coalition.  Losing this district, and performing so badly in a Jwwish area without a large Orthodox population, is a very bad sign for Obama in 2012, even if, as the D's are saying, this is about "Jewish issues."

My point is about using special elections to predict future general elections, it just doesn't work, because special elections can be very unpredictable. This isn't a partisan thing, I wouldn't use a Republican losing a special election to predict anything either.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #793 on: September 14, 2011, 05:45:52 PM »

Yeah, better watch out for those Jews. You never know where their true loyalties lie.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #794 on: September 14, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2011, 05:53:06 PM by A' bist? »

Once again, why does everyone think this district is Tel Aviv West? Of course it has a massive (and diverse) Jewish population, but then it's majority white and in New York City...

Look, if this result can be seen as any kind of warning, it isn't really because of the district's Jewishness (not directly, anyway). Your hat wearers (can people who are not Orthodox Jews buy those, by the way?) and so on will not be voting for him anyway, and I somehow doubt that all non-Jewish groups in the district voted for Weprin...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #795 on: September 14, 2011, 05:51:41 PM »

My point is about using special elections to predict future general elections, it just doesn't work, because special elections can be very unpredictable. This isn't a partisan thing, I wouldn't use a Republican losing a special election to predict anything either.

Well Defrazio, a D, that was saying it was "local issues." I agree that this was much, but not all of it.

If a conservative Mormon R would lose a special election in Montana for a seat that was R+5, I would call it troubling.  Unlike some of liberals here, I would not be in denial about it.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #796 on: September 14, 2011, 05:56:40 PM »

Damn, you beat me to it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #797 on: September 14, 2011, 05:57:41 PM »

Yeah, better watch out for those Jews. You never know where their true loyalties lie.

I guess if Mike Michaud gave a victory speech having a French flag next to him or Raul Grijalva with a Mexican one, Republicans would be totally OK with that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #798 on: September 14, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »

Bob Turner is not Jewish.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #799 on: September 14, 2011, 06:06:58 PM »

That makes his pandering even more disgusting.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies