Romney under fire for not signing anti-abortion pledge.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:06:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney under fire for not signing anti-abortion pledge.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney under fire for not signing anti-abortion pledge.....  (Read 636 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »

Uh oh......when will he flip on this?  When someone calls him a pro-choice candidate?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »

Probably wasn't the smartest decision, but Romney probably didn't have the "single-issue abortion voter" chunk of the GOP primary anyways.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:55:49 PM »

Probably wasn't the smartest decision, but Romney probably didn't have the "single-issue abortion voter" chunk of the GOP primary anyways.

True, but he'll need their money as the hard righties exit the campaign.  He has time to make peace with them.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:15:48 PM »

t

This. If nominated, the pro-life crowd will go to Romney before they go to Obama. If anything, this could play to his advantage down the road with social moderates.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:24:31 PM »

The same article states that he wrote an op-ed piece in National Review explaining that he is against abortion generally and supports the reversal of Roe v. Wade.  But the SBA List's "well-meaning pledge is overly broad and would have unintended consequences."

I've read of the pledge, and what he says is true.  You can read it for yourself here.  Were he to become president, he wouldn't want to support legislation that would end all federal funding of thousands of hospitals around the country.  

I'm not a huge defender of Mitt Romney, but it looks to me like he's taking a principled stand here.  And I don't think Romney should have any trouble defending his position among reasonable anti-abortion voters.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »

Funny that libertarian hero Ron Paul is attacking Romney for not signing a pledge to nationalize women's uteruses.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »

Funny that libertarian hero Ron Paul is attacking Romney for not signing a pledge to nationalize women's uteruses.

uteri.  And what SBA List wants to do is the opposite of nationalizing them. 

But I agree that it is at first ironic that Ron Paul, of all people, would chime in at all.  But when you actually read the pledge, it only asks for four things, and all of those except the last one essentially limit the federal government.  So really it's very Paulite.  Maybe even Randian.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:14:28 AM »

True, but he'll need their money as the hard righties exit the campaign.  He has time to make peace with them.

It'll be a hard rightie that gets the nomination. It's good that he's catching fire. Of course I'd expect Dr. Paul would sign that. How many of them can say they delivered 4,000 babies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies