Antillian Parliament Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:40:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Antillian Parliament Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Antillian Parliament Thread  (Read 13264 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: June 16, 2011, 09:08:41 AM »

X - Iorwerth Roberts
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »

Iorwerth Roberts:

Surely Mr McPherson is aware that increasing communication and transport links between his island and the mainland will inevitably bolster the cause of unionism? It used to be the case that his fellow nationalists used to oppose any attempt at creating an undersea rail-link - which Members will remember was proposed by the Wansbeck government nine years ago - on that very basis.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »

Mr Iorwerth Roberts

I remember it well because I was responsible for negotiating the contracts for labourers who would have been employed by the scheme, as I'm sure Mr MacPherson is aware of. Of course he is correct to point out that that particular plan had its deficiencies; a more ambitious plan would have created thousands of extra jobs in Northern Antillia which was a depressed area then and remains so today... but I maintain that any plan would have been better than no plan and it was typical of the irresponsible attitude of the Nationalists at that time that they...

No, I will not give way.

As I said, it was typical of the irresponsible attitude of the Nationalists at that time that they opposed the plan on such a flimsy basis. An extension could always have been built at a later date, as Mr De Bruijne argued at the time. Nevertheless I am delighted to learn that a newer generation of Nationalist representatives have a more responsible approach to this most important issue.

I must now take issue with a remark by another member here. If Mr De Wilde thinks that the fishing industry is in good health, then he should take a visit to Fellsands or... haha... for that matter, to Auldburgh. If he did so, then he would surely note that the size of the fleet has declined significantly over the past three decades, creating new social problems in Auldburgh and making existing ones in Fellsands considerably worse.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »

In response to Mr Søndergaard's comment that 'the mission of the Pitfarris Nationalists was never to build a proverbial wall between Pitfarris and Antillia', Mr Roberts was heard to shout 'Yes it is!'
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »

Mr Roberts is heard to shout something else.

Mr Speaker:

Order! Did Mr Roberts say what I think he may have done?

Mr Iorwerth Roberts:

I said 'middle class walker', Mr Speaker. I understand that Mr De Wilde is a keen hiker.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »

Mr Iorweth Roberts

Point of Order, Mr Speaker. Could a window be opened? Because all the hot air being spouted in the Chamber is making breathing quite uncomfortable.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »

Mr Iowerth Roberts

I had assumed that this was common knowledge but I can confirm to the Mr De Wilde that Antillia was not involved in the financing of any loans to Greece. There are two reasons for this: the first is that we are, of course, not members of the European Union. The second is that our own financial position is far too parlous to even think about bailing out other countries; I remind members that we were very fortunate to avoid being caught in a similar situation to that of Iceland.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »

Mr Iorwerth Roberts

It occurs to me that this bridge proposal is also relevant to the issue of the economy. Even in the short-run it would create a lot of jobs in the construction industry, many of them on the Adland peninsular (which is, of course, an official Depressed Area). The long-term benefits would also be substantial. Set against that, what does the cost matter?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 08:19:07 AM »

Mr Iorwerth Roberts

Mr MacPherson, the ferrymen are split between two different trade unions. If the figures that my researcher has given to me are accurate, then the largest group are members of the Transport Workers Confederation (TWC) and that the smaller group are members of the National Union of Watermen, Lightermen and Gasworkers (NUWLG). The TWC is affiliated to the SPP and I think that they could be convinced to understand any lost jobs in the ferry industry (which would certainly not shut down completely) would be replaced by better paying jobs that would come with the construction and implementation of the project. The NUWLG was one of the communist unions and while we do not have any organic links to them, I think they could also be convinced to see things from our position as well. I will also note that the bulk of the Labour Movement has long favoured this project and that it has been official FAW policy for more than twenty years.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »

(OOC: gasworkers were people who worked in gasworks; factories that produced coal gas. Obviously there are none of them left now that we have natural gas; in the same vein Watermen and Lightermen are also redundant trades. The name is a play on the fact that union names (especially old fashioned ones) often have little to do with the workers represented by the union in question)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »

Mr Iorwerth Roberts

Once again, Mr Harlow has demonstrated that he does not understand even the most basic things about economics. A reliable connection between the islands of Antillia and Pitfarris would be a boon to the economy of the depressed Adland peninsular over the long-term. Any fool could tell him that. It would also benefit the economy of the Antillian national more generally. If Mr Harlow does not understand this then he is a disgrace to the national legislature on account of his stupidity as much as his reprehensible views...

Angry exchanges on the floor of the House, cries of 'ORDER' from the Speaker

...his reprehensible views, views that are opposed to the principles upon which this great nation was founded. Mr Speaker, the only way that we are going to drag the economy of Peterford out of its eternal slump will be if we can direct investment and employment to the region. We will have a better chance of achieving this if there is a direct link between the region and the comparatively thriving island of Pitfarris which, as I do not need to remind the House, is also a direct link to our neighbour to the east.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »

Mr Iorwerth Roberts

Only a few hundred people are directly employed by the Firth Ferries Corporation (which, of course, is owned by the Government of Antillia). Even at peak time (when many agency workers are laid on) total employment related to the ferries is never higher than about one and a half thousand, including back office staff and management. Work on the construction of a bridge or a tunnel (and given the considerations of weather and so on a tunnel would be preferable) would create thousands of jobs, while better links between Peterford and Pitfarris would create perhaps tens of thousands more, and most of those in Peterford which members will be aware is the poorest part of our archipelago and suffers from extremely high rates of unemployment.

Gentlemen, we have been an independent nation for over sixty years. Despite that, there is no year-round connection between the islands of Antillia and Pitfarris. While the ferrymen do great work in keep open the passage during the winter months, ever year there are days (often weeks) when the ferries cannot operate due to storms. How is this acceptable in a modern economy? Moreover, the great traditions of the ferrymen will not end with the construction of a road/rail link between the two islands. There will be cutbacks, of course, but not closure. During the summer in particular, there will be great demand for ferry trips, especially if they are developed as a heritage industry, perhaps with a few old fashioned steamers, such as the ones I can just about remember as a child, added to the fleet even as many newer boats are scrapped.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »

My understanding is that things were more or less sorted out a few days ago. I've done a reasonable amount to move things forward behind the scenes but won't be doing any more for a few days at least; really not in the mood at the moment. If you've serious concerns, it'd be better off to contact the man himself.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »

I think the issue may be the time of year.

So...

How about we start setting up those Parliamentary Committees?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 07:46:58 AM »

Seems like the best way of doing things.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 09:18:40 AM »

I did send a message round a couple of weeks back, suggesting that it was time to get back to work.

Of course the last attempt at Town Hall ended like this as well; everything working very well, until, suddenly...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »

I'm not really sure if any sort of coup would help; that would just make us like Fantasyland six years ago or so. Tongue

Games like this are as much of a distraction from work as 'owt else, so we shouldn't be surprised at a fall off in activity during the summer months. I think, especially now it's clear that we all want to move with this, that things can get back on track about, well, now, actually.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies