So it looks like we missed this month's election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:57:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  So it looks like we missed this month's election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So it looks like we missed this month's election?  (Read 1603 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:37:13 AM »

I was just looking through the Constitution regarding the candidacy declaration issue, and found this:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Looks like we officially missed the election? Oh boy.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:24:07 AM »

ROFL
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:55:20 AM »

Since when have we held elections for President and Senate at different times?

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 06:24:50 AM »

I think there may have actually been a serious oversight in the crafting of the Third Constitution and we've just never really noticed, now that I've taken a look through the current Constitution compared to our last one and the opening times of the last elections going back to October.

For some reason it seems, in the current Constitution, we've split the election time between President and Senate. In October the Presidential election was held at the same time Franzl is planning on opened it this time as well; the Thursday before the second-to-last Friday of the month.

Franzl's right, though, we've never held Presidential and Senate elections separately, at least since I've been in Atlasia, so I'm going to go back and look through the Constitutional Convention and see if this was actually deliberately done and had discussion but was just never implemented or if this was put together without anyone noticing the times at all.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:30:56 AM »

If I had to guess, I'd say it was unintentional and was merely an oversight. I don't remember this ever actually being discussed. (And it would be a stupid idea.....and the people that wrote this Constitution aren't stupid.)

It would also explain why I've never bothered to look at Article II to find out when the President and Vice President are elected...because it's always been the second to last Thursday except in December for general elections.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 06:39:03 AM »

Yeah, I looked back and it seemed like Ilikeverin (it's not his fault Tongue) talked about sort of changing around election dates early on (I didn't actually read his entire rationale just now to be honest with you since I was going through the entire convention), but then that idea was sort of forgotten about by the time we'd moved on to another section and the election dates for Senate and President were split apart by mistake. Just seems like an oversight.

I suppose we should probably correct this as soon as possible, but I'm not sure what we should do about the election now.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 07:01:13 AM »

Just hold the election when we were scheduling it.  Anyway who sues can be locked in the dungeons Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 07:03:16 AM »

I'm going to hold the election as planned next Thursday. We've done the same thing the last several elections apparently without anyone noticing it.

If someone wants to sue, let them. Needs to be changed for the future though.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »

lol atlasia
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »

Yeah, I looked back and it seemed like Ilikeverin (it's not his fault Tongue) talked about sort of changing around election dates early on (I didn't actually read his entire rationale just now to be honest with you since I was going through the entire convention), but then that idea was sort of forgotten about by the time we'd moved on to another section and the election dates for Senate and President were split apart by mistake. Just seems like an oversight.

I suppose we should probably correct this as soon as possible, but I'm not sure what we should do about the election now.

That damned ilikeverin! Angry
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »

WTF?! Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 08:52:39 AM »

It's always been the second-to-last weekend in the month (except in December). Apparently, this isn't the case in the new Constitution, but because it was apparently an oversight, nobody (myself included) bothered to notice this.

I mean, if it's not publicized or even intended....I don't just randomly go reading Wiki articles.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 09:08:59 AM »

It's always been the second-to-last weekend in the month (except in December). Apparently, this isn't the case in the new Constitution, but because it was apparently an oversight, nobody (myself included) bothered to notice this.

I mean, if it's not publicized or even intended....I don't just randomly go reading Wiki articles.

Oh well...
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »

Well, it's quite intended; but it was also intended to move the Presidential elections up to correspond to the Senate ones.  So all the elections should be this weekend.  That was meant to get rid of the "third weekend of the month unless it's the second weekend of the month" business.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »

So what you are saying is that either Polnut or I is going to have the shortest legal single (or first) term in history Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »

So what you are saying is that either Polnut or I is going to have the shortest legal single (or first) term in history Tongue

No, the day you'd take office isn't affected either way.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »

It's okay, Franzl. We all make mistakes sometimes. Obviously the best way to remedy this is put BK on the ballot. Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »

It's okay, Franzl. We all make mistakes sometimes. Obviously the best way to remedy this is put BK on the ballot. Smiley

I regret not having read the new article II, but I really had no way of knowing there was any change..and I doubt pretty much anyone else knew Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »

You might want to read Article I, too. It says the Senate election starts on the second to last Thursday, not the second to last Friday. Since the last day of the month is a Thursday, there's a week difference between the two. The Senate election should start on June 23, not next week. So if you're going to align the (missed) Presidential election with the Senate Election (which I think is the right move), then Bacon King should appear on the ballot as there is plenty of time.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »

You might want to read Article I, too. It says the Senate election starts on the second to last Thursday, not the second to last Friday. Since the last day of the month is a Thursday, there's a week difference between the two. The Senate election should start on June 23, not next week. So if you're going to align the (missed) Presidential election with the Senate Election (which I think is the right move), then Bacon King should appear on the ballot as there is plenty of time.

Oh, wow. You're right bgwah:

Quote from: Restricted

So what happens now?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 03:34:35 PM »

Oh, very sorry about that! You're completely right about that. The Presidential election will be held simultaneously...and I will put BK on the ballot, of course. That solves that problem.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 05:31:04 PM »

No constitutional crisis? Cry
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52