Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 06:58:50 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  Should circumcision be banned?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Poll
Question: .
Yes   -22 (29.7%)
No   -52 (70.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Should circumcision be banned?  (Read 6449 times)
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2011, 10:51:54 am »
Ignore

Its a local level issue, but I personally think it shouldnt, though I dont get the Jewish ritual of doing a few days after birth.

If a burial strikes my family as too practical, I'd go for either a viking funeral on one of the Great Lakes or to be sealed up in a tomb with my closest servants and bang-maids so they may wait on my every need in the afterlife.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2011, 01:30:12 am »
Ignore

Unsure, though I disagree with the procedure.

Free Bradley Manning
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2011, 01:40:24 am »
Ignore

You know I would be kind of curious in a poll of Thai prostitutes as to how many of their customers are circumcised. Next time opebo's with one he should ask for an estimate of a percentage. I wonder how common uncircumcised customers are with Israeli hookers.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2011, 02:41:25 am »
Ignore

First Amendment does not allow every religious act.  I can't commit a ritualistic bull sacrifice in my hypothetical back yard.

You can, however, commit ritualistic bull sacrifice elsewhere.

You can't commit ritualistic bull sacrifice if it violates animal abuse laws, so...doesn't that kind of defeat your point?  Assuming you had one?  Tongue

I didn't, so it doesn't.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2011, 01:24:13 pm »
Ignore

No one would ever consent to doing it once they're old enough to feel and remembering, no matter how beneficial.  Thus, pre-memory is the only time it can really be done.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2011, 03:04:03 pm »
Ignore

No one would ever consent to doing it once they're old enough to feel and remembering, no matter how beneficial.  Thus, pre-memory is the only time it can really be done.

Doesn't that imply that it's not something that should be done?  I mean, if no one (and that's a bit of an exaggeration: adult circumcision has existed in several places) would be willing to do it if consent is an issue, doesn't that imply that they find having their genitals mutilated an inherently problematic practice?

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2011, 03:38:36 pm »
Ignore

Doesn't that imply that it's not something that should be done?  I mean, if no one (and that's a bit of an exaggeration: adult circumcision has existed in several places) would be willing to do it if consent is an issue, doesn't that imply that they find having their genitals mutilated an inherently problematic practice?

Well, if this were a new procedure, I'd agree with you, but it has been a well-established procedure for literally thousands of years and has been shown (arguably, I know) to have benefits.  Also, I never see men who were circumsized as infants complaining about it as adults.  It's just a no-big-deal kind of issue.

Also, calling infant male circumcision "mutilation" seems to make light of the real horrors of female genital mutilation in other countries.  Not even close to comparable there.
CitizenX
United States

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2011, 07:43:14 pm »
Ignore

Well, if this were a new procedure, I'd agree with you, but it has been a well-established procedure for literally thousands of years and has been shown (arguably, I know) to have benefits.  Also, I never see men who were circumsized as infants complaining about it as adults.  It's just a no-big-deal kind of issue.

Also, calling infant male circumcision "mutilation" seems to make light of the real horrors of female genital mutilation in other countries.  Not even close to comparable there.

As someone with a penis I can and do compare the two.

And yes there are most certainly men who were circumcised against their will as children who complain about it.  You just choose not to listen.  Ever heard of a guy call Howard Stern?

And yes, once again there are alternatives such as vaccines which are far cheaper for our already bankrupt health system.  Vaccines are economical, have fewer side effects, and are infinitely more human and civilized.

I can't stand tattletales on internet forums
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:51 pm »
Ignore

And yes there are most certainly men who were circumcised against their will as children who complain about it.  You just choose not to listen.  Ever heard of a guy call Howard Stern?

And yes, once again there are alternatives such as vaccines which are far cheaper for our already bankrupt health system.  Vaccines are economical, have fewer side effects, and are infinitely more human and civilized.

Vaccines were never intended as a replacement or "alternative" to circumcision.

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
CitizenX
United States

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2011, 08:11:37 pm »
Ignore

Vaccines were never intended as a replacement or "alternative" to circumcision.

Yes but they ARE a safe, cost effective, humane way to avoid genital mutilation... for the few deluded people that hang their hat on the dreaded penile cancer argument.

I can't stand tattletales on internet forums
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »
Ignore

No one would ever consent to doing it once they're old enough to feel and remembering, no matter how beneficial.

This is demonstrably false considering it actually happens.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2011, 02:25:59 pm »
Ignore

No one would ever consent to doing it once they're old enough to feel and remembering, no matter how beneficial.

This is demonstrably false considering it actually happens.

Of course, it can have some undesired side-effects, just ask Shechem if you don't believe me.

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
Yes: Amendment 1 (Gen. Assembly may allow and regulate charity raffles)
No: Amendment 2 (end election of the Adjutant General)
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2011, 05:49:16 pm »
Ignore

I'd disagree with that. There are a lot of things that people wouldn't agree to in the moment that they might still consider good in the long term. Time inconsistency makes liberalism a sad panda bear.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Earth
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2011, 12:35:39 pm »
Ignore

I would be perfectly fine with circumcision being banned for infants. It's a ridiculous procedure.

Wealth comes mostly from two sources in Western countries - either being very good at something people are willing to pay for or by working hard at becoming wealthy...
ozona and sonora
Ghost_white
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: 6.61

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2011, 12:37:33 pm »
Ignore

I would be perfectly fine with circumcision being banned for infants. It's a ridiculous procedure.

Citizen X is the voice of reason on this thread. Think about that for a moment.

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2011, 05:04:37 pm »
Ignore

Lately I've been going through the Bible and jotting down my thoughts on various passages for my own reflection, and I got to the story of Tsiporah at the inn. (Exodus 4:24-26)  That caused me to think of a question I hadn't before, and which a quick search was unable to answer. What is done with what is removed?  I doubt the example of Tsiporah is followed, at least I hope not.

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2011, 08:52:27 pm »
Ignore

Lately I've been going through the Bible and jotting down my thoughts on various passages for my own reflection, and I got to the story of Tsiporah at the inn. (Exodus 4:24-26)  That caused me to think of a question I hadn't before, and which a quick search was unable to answer. What is done with what is removed?  I doubt the example of Tsiporah is followed, at least I hope not.

You mean throwing the foreskin at her husband and calling him a "bloody husband?"  No, that's not a part of the traditional practice.

Also, what translation calls Zipporah "Tsiporah?"

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2011, 09:40:34 am »
Ignore

What is done with what is removed?

You mean throwing the foreskin at her husband and calling him a "bloody husband?"  No, that's not a part of the traditional practice.

I didn't think so, but that what isn't done doesn't tell me what is done.

Also, what translation calls Zipporah "Tsiporah?"

Mine. Wink More seriously, since I consult more than one translation while doing this, rather than follow any single translation's decision on how to Romanize the Hebrew, I follow my own, and I chose to Romanize the tsade "צ" consistently as "ts".  It's not the most common choice of how to Romanize the name.  In my notes, "z" always represents a zayin "ז"

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout