Mitt Romney is going to be the next president* (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:18:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney is going to be the next president* (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney is going to be the next president*  (Read 5647 times)
Bull Moose Base

« on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »

But my educated guess is that at some point Obama will run ads as well.  And can mention that Obama inherited the worst economic disaster in over half a century, that for the past year and a half under Obama, millions of Americans have found jobs, and that yes, sometimes people use metaphors and it's disingenuous to feign outrage and say someone who uses metaphors doesn't care about people. Especially when the person making the accusation, downsized companies, costing many people jobs.  But I agree it's possible Romney is next president.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:16:10 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57125.html
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »

I'm sure the DNC could find 15 real unemployed people to cut an ad with them telling Romney unemployment is not a joke for people worth less than a hundred million.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »

It was a joke about losing the election last time, and even according to that little snippet the people he was with laughed at the joke.

Alexander Burns needs to learn how to not be retarded...

Unfortunately for Mitt, the "joke" seems to be gaining some traction in the media.

"I'm networking. I have my sight on a particular job."

That line that followed the unemployed statement, and was left off Politico, makes it even less of a serious story.

I mean, how are the Dems going to spin this? "Governor Romney was completely insensitive to the fact that so many people are being hurt by the economic conditions that we've failed to improve in any serious way"? The audience laughed because their feelings were hurt?

Dude, just because the handpicked Republicans at Romney's little meeting laughed at his comment doesn't mean that his comment wasn't insensitive, bordering on offensive, to the millions of people who are unemployed through no fault of their own and who don't have a few hundred million dollars in assets to comfort them. I would be offended, since I'm one of those people, but I don't expect any better from an aloof plutocrat like Mitt Romney. He couldn't possibly understand what people like me are going through; to make a "joke" that he's just like us is an idiotic thing to do, and to go "hurr it's the Democrats fault!" instead of just calling it like it is, a dumb thing that he shouldn't have said, is ridiculous.

The joke wasn't that he's "just like us". The joke was, if anything, self-deprecating because it was a jab at himself for losing in 2008.

If anyone was offended by it, it's because of a deficiency on their part, not on Romney's. It's blatantly obvious to anyone with 1/32 of a brain that he a) had no ill intention in making the joke, and b) doesn't actually think his situation is comparable to that of people struggling to make ends meet.

I'm not supporting Romney, and I probably won't vote for him, but I'm not going to be a whiny little bitch and go out of my way to try to find statements of his to get offended by.

Speaking of blatantly obvious, are you really not seeing the irony?  Barely a week after trying to inflate Obama's "bump in the road" metaphor into the Mother of all signs of insensitivity to the unemployed, this joke about how he's unemployed too and should he share his story like everyone else comes out of Romney's billionaire mouth.  It's not as perfect as Weiner accusing Clarence Thomas of trying to hide a shameful disclosure on Memorial Day then, on the same night, posting a crotch photo for all 40,000 of your twitter followers to see... but it's the same basic rhythm.  That's why I put it in this thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies