Presidential Elections between a libertarian party and a populist party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:39:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Presidential Elections between a libertarian party and a populist party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Elections between a libertarian party and a populist party?  (Read 4247 times)
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »
« edited: June 14, 2011, 10:18:19 PM by Rockingham »

If the main parties were a socially liberal and economically conservative party(ie. moderate libertarian) on the one hand and a socially conservative and economically liberal party(ie. populist) on the other, what would be the orientation of the various states? Which states would vote for the moderate libertarian party and which would vote for the populist party(and which would be swingers?)

*Assume also that the populist party is hawkish and the libertarian one more inclined to FP restraint. 
**Also assume that on matters such as gun control and affirmative action, neither party supports them(since they're neither libertarian nor socially conservative).
Liberté
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:30:27 PM »

This depends on what kinds of libertarians and populists we're talking about. Do the populists want to deport illegal immigrants to "save American jobs"? Or are they more interested in re-constructing the social safety net with a religious orientation? Do the libertarians want nothing more than to return the economy to the gold standard and "starve the beast"? Or do they want to promote a decentralized, co-operative economy?

The question is too broadly asked. Please specify your terms.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »

This depends on what kinds of libertarians and populists we're talking about. Do the populists want to deport illegal immigrants to "save American jobs"? Or are they more interested in re-constructing the social safety net with a religious orientation? Do the libertarians want nothing more than to return the economy to the gold standard and "starve the beast"? Or do they want to promote a decentralized, co-operative economy?

The question is too broadly asked. Please specify your terms.
The populists are both religious and xenophobic. Basically standard Republican/Tea party social conservatism.

The Libertarians are moderate(not Ron Paul). Standard social liberals except for not supporting gun control/affirmative action. Standard economic rightwingers of the Reagan variety.

Of course their is some variability amongst the parties, in the form of extremists and moderates(and oddities ala Paul)
Liberté
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:01:23 PM »

In that case, assuming a neutral political atmosphere with middling-quality candidates (think election 2000)...

An explanation for some of my choices:

Rhode Island - is more working-class and Catholic than much of the rest of New England

Kentucky and Tennessee - the home of right-to-work laws. Expect both to be close.

South Dakota - is more reliant on Federal farm subsidies than North Dakota.

Utah - nearly evenly split. Unlike a lot of Republican 'base states', there's really no room in it for economic populism, being one of the richest states in the Union; but it's also one of the most socially conservative, and a vast majority of the non-Mormons would probably be inclined to vote Populist to spite the Mormon hierarchy. It could easily go either way.

Wisconsin - given recent events in their state and the fact they're a tad more socially conservative than Minnesota (in my view), I'd incline to give them narrowly to the Populists.

New Mexico - could easily flip, depending on the immigrant situation.

Washington - would be a swing state, given the nature of the defense economy in parts of the State. I think the latte-liberals of Seattle are just strong enough to hold it for the Libertarians.

By my (admittedly fallible) judgment, the Libertarians narrowly defeat the Populists, 279/259.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »

Actually, Kentucky is a free-bargaining state (thank God).
Jackson
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:34:04 AM »

Correct. For future reference, here are all of the states with "right-to-work" laws.

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Wyoming
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »

I see Indiana as a swing state. We are a socially conservative state and also Reganite on economics. The question is which of the two is more important?

The Tea Party and Republicians are two separate things at this moment in an alliance due to economic issues and some civil liberties issues (gun and some privacy rights issues). The next five years will determine if the Tea Party will fully merge with the GOP or a split that will hurt democrats as well.

Personally I'm both social and economically conservative,  not xenophobic
So I'd truly be a swing voter if this were the climate.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »

2012 Electoral Map

Yellow--Libertarian Party (207 EV's--includes Maine, BTW)
Green--Populist Party (199 EV's)
Grey--Tossup (136 EV's)

Light colors designate a state as "leaning" a certain way, while solid colors denote that a state is "safe".
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 02:46:31 PM »

Correct. For future reference, here are all of the states with "right-to-work" laws.

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada